English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 August 2018, 18:19   #21
KONEY
Vampire 2 Amiga Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
So my RTG version supports the most games and has the most features (which include SVGA games like Monkey Island 3 and Broken Sword and has support for OGG Vorbis playback), the AGA 060 port supports less games and features, the 040 and 030 each support less right down to the 030 OCS/ECS version which only supports a few Lucas Arts games and has no music support at all.
Hi there! I have a thought about this topit: since an Amiga 600 fitted with a Vampire 2 could run most games @64 colors very smoothly, wouldn't make sense to revision this criteria? For example many games don't start because of the resolution but with a Vampire it should not be a problem...
Old 29 August 2018, 21:35   #22
pipper

I recently looked into the available sources of ScummVM Amiga ports. The most recent I could find was 1.8.1 RTG. I re-enabled the AGA path in there and for now just hooked it up with WriteChunkyPixels(). Given you install BlazeWCP, this is good enough for now. I also added back the external MIDI support. You can buy an Amiga MIDI cable, hook it up to you PC via an USB midi adapter and use MUNT to emulate an MT-32 on there It’s far from perfect, but the good thing is you can build it yourself and thereby select the game engines it supports. The more engines, the bigger the executable will be. That’s one of the reasons why ScummVM takes a lot of ram. One day we might be able to support dynamic loading of engine plugins, but it’s just not there yet.

You can try re-building ScummVM AGA from here:
https://github.com/mheyer32/scummvm-amigaos3
You should be able to build it with Bebbo’s gcc toolchain on Linux. Slight modification to the configure file is needed to change the output path.
Old 29 August 2018, 23:16   #23
KONEY
Vampire 2 Amiga Musician

Thanks pipper. Are you suggesting that an ECS machine could run an AGA build if BlazeWCP is installed?
Old 30 August 2018, 00:24   #24
pipper

No, that’s not all that’s needed. For instance for proper ECS suppport, we’d need to open a 64Color EHB screen, do explicit 256->64 color palette reduction and use a chunky to planar routine that will do a translation on the fly. There’s code for this in Doom clones like ADoom or DoomAttack which would need to be incorporated into ScummVM. I believe NovaCoder had already done all this in his ECS ScummVM port, but I’m not sure all the source is there.
Old 30 August 2018, 10:16   #25
KONEY
Vampire 2 Amiga Musician

Yes, an EHB version by NovaCoder already exists but it assumes no one with ECS could have more than a '030 and won't run games with height > 200px. But an A600 with Vampire could run them (it runs DOOM in EHB!) so I was suggesting to re-enable support for those H>200px games.