English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a new self booting CD containing the best Amiga PD games?
Yes 43 91.49%
No 4 8.51%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11 January 2011, 19:26   #21
amigapd

Now have 79 out of the 100 games to work (see my updated earlier post)

I am having problems with

Santa and Rudolph -
Revenge of Mutant Camals - now resolved 19-01-2011
Legend of Lothian - now resolved 19-01-2011
Dr Strange 2 - now resolved 19-01-2011
Dr Strange

I will spend a bit more time on these games trying to solve the problems as they seem to be problems with my assign commands not resulting in the games finding relevant font files (Legend of Lothian and Santa and Rudolph) the other 3 just reset so may require downgrade using Tude.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for games to include? I think I will stick to 100 games as I still have to do graphic amendments / text descriptions / screen dumps.

Last edited by amigapd; 19 January 2011 at 13:11.
Old 11 January 2011, 21:28   #22
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Revenge of the Mutant Camels has a WHD install. So just use that

I don't know what the problem is with Dr Strange. It works fine here on my A1200 without any tweaking of settings. Maybe you have not set the game directory (with all the data in it) as the current directory, that could cause a crash.

Last edited by Anakirob; 11 January 2011 at 22:11.
Old 12 January 2011, 23:36   #23
amigapd

Having problems with Legend of Lothian

Failed to open requested font.
Cache:Nopaz failed returncode 20
Executing

Then get following error message

Game font(game.font) not found in FONTS: directory!

My start script is:

CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian
assign fonts: CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian
run GAME

The game.font file is saved under CD: Games/legendoflothian/fonts/game.font

On a positve note I now have 90 games working including Death Angel as suggested by Boo Boo which is a great shoot em up I hadn't played before.

I will try revenge from whdload over the weekend - thanks Anakirob

as soon as I get to 100 I will then work on doing the screen shots and test them on the Cd32 rather than just winuae.
Old 12 January 2011, 23:47   #24
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Make that
Code:
CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian
assign fonts: CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian/fonts
run GAME
then.
Old 13 January 2011, 00:14   #25
amigapd

Thanks - it works now and I ve also got Revenge of Mutant Camals working - I will post the list of 100 games once I meet the target.
Old 13 January 2011, 03:11   #26
Anakirob
Unregistered User

As for suggestions on which games to include, how about those Skull Army Software games which have recently been re-released. Hydrozone & Wired Chaos. Just remember to disable CPU caches using TUDE (or the CPU NOCACHE command) for the sound to work correctly.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:03   #27
Peter
Still an Amiga user

RE: Skull Army Software.
The author of the software is registered on EAB (DJCruicky) - I think it would be best to ask the author's permission first.
Old 13 January 2011, 13:09   #28
amigapd

Good suggestion Peter and I will do this - Do you have any recommendations to add to the list as I know you have a varied knowledge of pd games - and former shareware games which may now have become pd?

I am now up to 92 and wondering whether to stick to 100 or make it a 111 game collection.

I will make a decision on the weekend as I probably have 20 games I would like to add but some are proving difficult to get to work -
Old 13 January 2011, 13:32   #29
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Do you want to post a list of just the tricky ones? I (and others) could take a look at them too, to make the job a little easier for you.
Old 13 January 2011, 14:25   #30
Peter
Still an Amiga user

We have found some great games in this thread - http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=47661 - like Scavenger 2, Toado, Beetle, Hydrozone... etc and if you are compiling a definitive collection that show cases the Amiga PD and Shareware scene then I suppose all these games should be included really.

The thing is, in most cases I only have permission from the authors to share their games with EAB Forum members and within our Amiga community - occasionally authors have stated that in time they may want to convert their games to newer platforms like the iphone etc... so they are still quite protective over their work.

I cant really speak on behalf of the authors as to whether they would want their games included on a CD or not... it's a little bit tricky to say just go ahead and do it.

It's the same situation with the F1 titles - I only have permission to share these with EAB Forum members.

I don't think anyone would really mind but... the "Sharing and distibution" of software is still a very grey area.

Personally I would love to see a CD of all the great PD and Shareware games that were available on the Amiga - it's a great idea.
You know in time some rogue sellers will probably be selling it on ebay!!

How would you be distributing the CD by the way?

Last edited by Peter; 13 January 2011 at 14:45.
Old 13 January 2011, 14:30   #31
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Any chance of putting Willy's Weird Nightmare on the disc? It's a lovely Jetset Willy clone.
Old 13 January 2011, 15:06   #32
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
Any chance of putting Willy's Weird Nightmare on the disc? It's a lovely Jetset Willy clone.
I will have a look, I think it is possible - there are two clones on there already - Jet Set 97 and Top Hat Willy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Personally I would love to see a CD of all the great PD and Shareware games that were available on the Amiga - it's a great idea.
You know in time some rogue sellers will probably be selling it on ebay!!

How would you be distributing the CD by the way?
I was thinking on the amigapd website as a download - on EAB in the zone - If I have time I would like to add a short booklet with screenshots and descriptions for each game included on the cd and then maybe charge a small fee for a limited run of the booklet with the cd given away free but not sure if the demand would be there to warrant the time to create it.

It is likely that some sellers will put it on ebay and I guess it will be difficult to prevent this as if its public domain it is free to distribute.

Last edited by TCD; 13 January 2011 at 15:44. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Use multi-quote.
Old 14 January 2011, 03:33   #33
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
As for suggestions on which games to include, how about those Skull Army Software games which have recently been re-released. Hydrozone & Wired Chaos. Just remember to disable CPU caches using TUDE (or the CPU NOCACHE command) for the sound to work correctly.
Quote:
RE: Skull Army Software.
The author of the software is registered on EAB (DJCruicky) - I think it would be best to ask the author's permission first.
I have no problem. If you think my games are good enough to get into a top 100 CD that is fine by me . In fact thank you . Of course since it's a non commercial, non profit CD, is ok by me. Just make sure they are the fully updated versions direct from my web links, and all docs are included.

BUT, hang fire with my game 'Alien Fish Finger', I've yet to release this game as Freeware. I do have plans to do so soon however. Just like my other games, that I made freeware, it will be released with a few improvements and bug fixes, in which I'm already a good way through.

Nice list of games on there .

DJ Cruicky
Old 14 January 2011, 04:02   #34
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
My suggestion for the fonts assign TCD suggested is to use ADD at the end so
assign fonts: CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian/fonts
becomes
assign fonts: CD0:Games/LegendOfLothian/fonts ADD

that way if you exit a game the system will be able to find the fonts off the drive/cd/HDD you booted from, thus makeing your cd more user friendly this will work for wb 2 and above but not 1.3
Old 14 January 2011, 10:15   #35
amigapd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCruicky View Post
I have no problem. If you think my games are good enough to get into a top 100 CD that is fine by me . In fact thank you .

BUT, hang fire with my game 'Alien Fish Finger', I've yet to release this game as Freeware. I do have plans to do so soon however.

DJ Cruicky
Thank you for your support with the project - I will hold fire on Alien Fish Finger and contact you nearer the time the cd is ready to go. Which is still a way off as I still have to do the screen grabs for the menu and add the text descriptions.

Hopefully in two weeks time I will have just over a 100 games tested and working and then I can start confirming that they are freeware / public domain or that we can get permision from relevant authors - It may be some versions will have to be demos only. I will post this work in progress list as soon as its ready.

I will add a text document to the cd containing contact details for shareware authors so that it is easy for individuals to contact them and pay for full versions / updates e.t.c. as I suspect that the contact details from the original disks in the 1990s are probably out of date. I will also add this to the www.amigapd.com website in future months.
Old 14 January 2011, 11:22   #36
Peter
Still an Amiga user

A few more games to consider...

Marbles
Pokermania (definitely) (Written by quahappy - EAB Member)
Microbes
Super Obliteration
Croins
Tetris Pro (Still love that music!)
The Last Refuge
FaYoh 2
Jouster 3
Waynes World Pong
Pacman 96
Chaneques
Brutal Homicide (Final)
Poweroids
Zerberk
Rocketz (Full)
Insectoids 2
Master Blaster
Super Foul Egg
Galaxy Wars (Written by KEVG - EAB Member)

Last edited by Peter; 14 January 2011 at 12:08.
Old 14 January 2011, 23:34   #37
amigapd

Quote:
A few more games to consider...

Marbles
Pokermania (definitely) (Written by quahappy - EAB Member)
Microbes
Super Obliteration
Croins
Tetris Pro (Still love that music!)
The Last Refuge
FaYoh 2
Jouster 3
Waynes World Pong
Pacman 96
Chaneques
Brutal Homicide (Final)
Poweroids
Zerberk
Rocketz (Full)
Insectoids 2
Master Blaster
Super Foul Egg
Galaxy Wars (Written by KEVG - EAB Member)
Should be able to include these; have already added
Super Obliteration, Fayoh 2, Tetris Pro to the cd and they all work and think I have most if not all these games listed so should be able to add these either this weekend or next week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
I thought I had this but the game I had was Willy in the Castle of Dreams - is this from a series or a totally different type of game? I will have another look for Weird Nightmare next week.

Now have 115 games working - will add the other games recommended and then post the new list and start the process of contacting authors and checking freeware - shareware status.
Old 15 January 2011, 15:03   #38
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigapd View Post
I thought I had this but the game I had was Willy in the Castle of Dreams - is this from a series or a totally different type of game? I will have another look for Weird Nightmare next week.
They're both platform games, but that's where the relationship ends.

Willy's Weird Nightmare is definitely worth putting into the compilation disc.
Old 15 January 2011, 19:33   #39
DJCruicky
Gone, but not forgotten

I see you have Jetset Billy on your list. That game come with a level editor. 15 years ago I made my own add on level for it called 'Willy's BIG Night Out'. If you want it just say.

DJC
Old 15 January 2011, 19:43   #40
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Be great if you could zone that level DJC - I'm sure TCD would like to put that on the server and also I wouldn't mind having a go!

I've never played jetset Billy - I will grab it from somewhere....