English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 October 2003, 11:26   #1
Pyromania

AmiZilla Welcomes Others To Browse For Cash

Over the last several months since I started the AmiZilla Project I have heard a growing whisper to allow the funds to also be available to the programmers of IBrowse, Voyager & AWeb. Most, like myself wish for a Mozilla or Firebird port to Amiga OS/MorphOS but a growing few do continue to express their love of the Amiga Browsers, which is understandable. So today unless the current donators to the AmiZilla Project mind I am extending the AmiZilla Initiative to also include IBrowse, Voyager & AWeb. What this means is if the coders of these browsers update their programs to a functional comparable feature set of Mozilla 1.5 or FireBird they will win the AmiZilla contest and get the money. The programming teams will have to study the rich and extensive feature set of Mozilla or Firebird and update their browsers to something similar. Keep in mind that this is a contest so only the winner that crosses the finish line first wins. I respect and commend the Amiga browser developers for all of their hard work over the years and hope this puts them on equal footing for a chance to win the over $4100 that has already been collected for AmiZilla. The requirements will stay the same as far as making it available for Amiga, MorphOS, AROS, Amiga Forever, WinUAE Etc.

Keep in mind teams have already been working hard part time to port Mozilla so keep the funds coming in to motivate these teams to bring this project to completion so that other new projects can be started like updating the Video Toaster Flyer source code. The new players in this contest (IBrowse, Voyager & AWeb) will also want incentive to update and extend their applications. The money already collected is a good start but may not be enough to get the teams to spend as much time on the AmiZilla Project as they normally would with a much large pot of funds to win.

Current Booty: $4159.40

Mailinglist now has over 220 members and over 330 messages, most are about programming and porting Mozilla.

AmiZilla website has gotten over 2 million hits since appearing on the famous unix geek website slashdot.

AmiZilla continues to gather positive press for the Amiga and MorphOS by being covered on mainstream websites like CNET's news.com, mozillazine.org and many others.

http://news.com.com/2009-1088-984352.html

http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3262

http://www.toolinux.com/lininfo/news...0608003711.htm

Keep in mind that the AmiZilla Project needs you to be successful. The booty is now over $4150, which is a impressive amount of money for an Amiga project. If only one programmer was working on the port this would be a nice reward. However several programmers are working together. Once the money is split among coders the booty is not big enough. Please contribute if you can, every dollar helps motivate programmers to make the AmiZilla Project a success. After the release of AmiZilla more projects are being developed like Hot CoCo (JVM) and F Gordon (Flash). The development and launch of these add-ons to AmiZilla depend on the success of that project. Paypal donations can be sent in via this weblink.

www.amizilla.org

Best regards

Bill Panagouleas

About AmiZilla

The goal of the AmiZilla effort is to raise such an obscene/huge amount of money to give away to the first programmer/team that can port Mozilla to Amiga/Compatible systems that programmers will be falling over themselves getting this application coded in record time. Project now welcomes the programming teams of IBrowse, Voyager and AWeb to join the contest.

About DiscreetFX

DiscreetFX has been creating software products for the Amiga, video editing & computer generated graphics (CGI) industry since 1995. The Amiga computer defined and created the video editing, computer graphics market with its birth in 1985. DiscreetFX creates Real-time transitions and effects seen on over 100 television programs including Blind Date, 5th Wheel, Shipmates and more! You can also see DiscreetFX software used on the following networks HBO, Showtime, Discovery Channel, PBS, Fox and more!
Old 30 October 2003, 12:13   #2
kriz

This is great news !! Lets hope the teams behind Ibrowse (my favourite browser) will find interest in this ....

The web browser is the 1. Killer application these days, the classic line, MorphOs and AmigaOs 4 REALLY needs this .... Without a really good browser I dont see many new people wanting to use the plattform ....
Old 30 October 2003, 13:25   #3
fiath

Oh joy - CSS on Amiga at last!
Old 18 December 2003, 09:31   #4
Pyromania

Former Netscape Executive gives Amizilla a boost.

A former Netscape Executive (wants to remain anonymous for now) just
gave the AmiZilla project a $2000 boost. He is a long time Amiga user
and still uses WinUAE and the Video Toaster Flyer a lot. He contacted
me and wanted to match the $2000 I used to start the AmiZilla Project.

www.amizilla.org
Old 18 December 2003, 18:36   #5
Amiga1992

Wow! keep it up mate!
Old 20 December 2003, 05:28   #6
Pyromania

Genesi wanted to match the booty several months ago but never did. Now I am afraid they will not be able to afford it. The former Netscape Executive changed his mind about donating $2000, now instead he wanted to match the original booty amount before his bid ($4205.61). Now because of his revised donation the booty is over $8400. His only request is that he wants to see the amount get over $10,000 so is requesting others donate what they can. He has done more than his share that is for sure. $10,000 is a good idea and a nice milestone to aim for but AmiZilla will need your help to get there. Could someone submit this news to www.slashdot.org

I think this is very newsworthy.
Old 12 January 2004, 21:56   #7
Syko
Now got GSX750F :))

Go team Voyager!
Old 17 June 2004, 04:14   #8
Mangar
Got the fever back

Is there an ending to this story?
Old 16 November 2004, 21:12   #9
Tolismlf

So anybody made it finally??
Old 16 November 2004, 21:52   #10
Korodny
Zone Friend

They're working on it. Actually, they are able to compile the AmigaOS port now (though the compiled executable will not yet work).

Quote:
How's your Mozilla port coming along?
Old 16 November 2004, 22:03   #11
Tolismlf

Oh so you are making a port of mozilla for the Amiga eh?
This will never work on Amiga, not enough power, not enough memory,
bla bla bla
This is such an old computer my friend