English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 March 2009, 19:46   #81
paranoid
Phone Zen

"such as version of OS4 for PPC Macs"

Well that completes the transvestite turn in this thread.
Old 04 March 2009, 20:08   #82
Shoonay
Global Caturator

I'm a Amiga retro fan in 75%, and a lurker at the current situation in 25%
Just because I can't afford one it doesn't mean I can't be interested in it, even if "it's the first step to hell".
I would like the Amiga to live it's Zombie life as long as it takes, and comeback one day with a bang...
Old 04 March 2009, 20:55   #83
Skope
Protracker

If anything OS4 should be ported to Intel architecture and _not_ outdated and obscure hardware. I can't really follow the logic behind preferring PPC hardware when you can get multiple times the prestanda for half the price choosing Intel arch. Plus Intel family computers are way more common in households and I feel like more people would be inclined to buy and run OS4 if they already have the hardware it supports. I know I'm never ever gonna cough up hundreds of euros for dated technology (errr well it's not like PPC systems file under retro computing anyway).
Old 04 March 2009, 21:36   #84
Madcrow

That's why something like a PS3 port would make the most sense. Given that Linux runs just fine on the PS3, and that Hyperion says they've got a non-public version AOS4 running on the PS3 as well, having a PS3 version seems like a no-brainer. Packaged with a few key programs like OWB, AmigaWriter (which works fine in emulation mode) and Art Effect 4 (ditto), the pacakage would outperform PS3 Linux, be easier to use and more useful. It would sell like crazy and Amiga would rise again as THE 3rd part OS for the PS3. But Amiga Inc is too scared to let Hyperion make the release.

Heck, since AmigaOS is closed source, Sony might even grant the devs access to the 3D hardware, unlike the Linux devs who only get a virtualized 2D framebuffer to work with.
Old 04 March 2009, 21:38   #85
Skope
Protracker

@Madcrow

That's an even better idea.
Old 04 March 2009, 22:28   #86
Predabot

That's a pretty interesting idea actually... Amiga OS on a playstation.

How many A500 Boing-balls do you wager a PS3 can display and render at the same time, lads?
Old 04 March 2009, 23:17   #87
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrow View Post
As I said before, Amiga Inc is holding back the platform. Hyperion has all sorts of neat things that would sell like crazy: such as version of OS4 for PPC Macs and the PS3, that they can't really release for fear of causing problems in their legal battle with Amiga Inc. If Amiga Inc were to die, those who actually give a crap about the Amiga would be in a MUCH better position to actually do stuff.
Ahmen to that
Old 05 March 2009, 02:02   #88
Madcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
That's a pretty interesting idea actually... Amiga OS on a playstation.

How many A500 Boing-balls do you wager a PS3 can display and render at the same time, lads?
That depends... Do we get to use the SPUs and the GPU or just the CPU and framebuffer. Either way, it's a lot of 'em. I also propose an "official" name for such a concoction. The Amiga BR64...
Old 05 March 2009, 02:40   #89
Amiga1992

I keep laughing at this thread
Old 05 March 2009, 14:03   #90
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skope View Post
If anything OS4 should be ported to Intel architecture and _not_ outdated and obscure hardware. I can't really follow the logic behind preferring PPC hardware when you can get multiple times the prestanda for half the price choosing Intel arch. Plus Intel family computers are way more common in households and I feel like more people would be inclined to buy and run OS4.

I second that definitely, Skope.

Quote:
But Amiga Inc is too scared to let Hyperion make the release.
That's why Amiga Inc sucks by time. Any sense business decision is what they are NOT know by.

Ah! Their web site gives me the creeps!
Old 05 March 2009, 21:33   #91
Slayer
Amiga Member

I generally think these kind of threads are useless or pointless, but as I've come to expect the general body of humanity insists on discussing these kind of topics.

To me the Amiga is not classic retro or otherwise.

I brought my Amiga in 1986 and have never stopped using AmigaOS since so for me at least the Amiga experience is current and continuing to evolve.

I have a SAM now and running OS4.1 and things have never looked better...

Amiga Inc or anyone else for that matter could simply disappear, it wouldn't make any damn difference except I'd have to make do with what I have and what I can acquire over the next 10-20 years from people selling there equipment, but since I have 55 Amiga Hardware Systems to date, I don't see myself running out of Anything Amiga for my lifetime at any rate, so my Amiga experience will always be current...
Old 05 March 2009, 22:23   #92
Pyromania

Damn 55 Amiga systems??? You have me beat.
Old 05 March 2009, 22:29   #93
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
Damn 55 Amiga systems??? You have me beat.
Yeah, I've been saying for the last 5 years or so it's over 40 odd. I had a count up and added it to my sig on Amigaworld for the hell of it and it's 55. And only bound to increase, I seriously have so much addons too it's crazy. for instance, I have 8 A590s. LOL
Old 05 March 2009, 22:32   #94
Pyromania

@Slayer

Got any CD32 FMV's? I need one of those.
Old 06 March 2009, 00:21   #95
Slayer
Amiga Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania View Post
@Slayer

Got any CD32 FMV's? I need one of those.
I have 2 but I am 7 short, got 9 CD32s

sorry, couldn't resist a little black comedy? I do have 3xSX1s but they aren't really the same thing. I'd like to help you out Pyromania but I truely don't sell Amiga Stuff.

Never sold anything Amiga from early 1986 to today, do not worry though, one will come up eventually, they aren't that rare.

besides People seem to think it's worthless and ancient and you should have it for next to nothing, well. I'd rather keep it for absolutely nothing instead
Old 06 March 2009, 12:48   #96
AmigaFriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
I'd rather keep it for absolutely nothing instead
That is indeed a nice thought Slayer.
Old 06 March 2009, 13:22   #97
PWLM
He found it at the zoo..

@paranoid: you hit the nail on the head on the first page: the fact that Cloanto holds the copyright to the ROMs has not stopped anyone from accessing them for free. Anyone trying to make money off the Amiga name these days is barking up the wrong tree. Young idiots who buy everything they know, don't know Amiga. And old idiots like me know better!
Old 07 March 2009, 01:33   #98
Predabot

Quote:
That depends... Do we get to use the SPUs and the GPU or just the CPU and framebuffer. Either way, it's a lot of 'em. I also propose an "official" name for such a concoction. The Amiga BR64...
Since the original Amiga was all about using the GPU and SPU as well, then yes, of course we must use those.

That would be sweet... a PS3 with OS4.1... and then a clever guy could take out the entire PS3 board and put it in an old A4000 box ( think it could fit..?) and then some external HD's with UAE ( surely someone has ported it to AOS4?) and a Bluray, and you're good to go!

ULTIMATE AMIGA!!

(seriously tho, that would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? I mean, it's fully possible to do this as a hobby-project.)
Old 07 March 2009, 02:08   #99
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWLM View Post
@paranoid: you hit the nail on the head on the first page: the fact that Cloanto holds the copyright to the ROMs has not stopped anyone from accessing them for free. Anyone trying to make money off the Amiga name these days is barking up the wrong tree. Young idiots who buy everything they know, don't know Amiga. And old idiots like me know better!
Cloanto don't hold the kickstarts copyright. They have distribution rights.
Old 07 March 2009, 03:23   #100
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
(seriously tho, that would be pretty cool, wouldn't it? I mean, it's fully possible to do this as a hobby-project.)
You best do that with a PC instead of a PS3.