English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 16 March 2020, 23:42   #561
SpocksBeer

Still waiting on my October 22 order to ship.
Old 21 March 2020, 05:09   #562
MicroDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The board itself is not hard to do just a lot of fiddly bits, there are a couple 1206 smd bussed resistors and the chip itself. I will ask AOTL once the orders are caught up if he will sell as kitform, The chip would have to be pre-soldered.

The issue with kits is that it could introduce unverified components that for whatever reason causes the board to not function. If it was me i would sell as a kit the entire components BOM and allow the end user to put together with limited support. Kit would include the 2 PCBs, keycaps, presoldered USB chip and if required the MX switches.

I will approach AOTL and see if he is willing to alow this option to either new customers or offer existing customers the opportunity to do it themselves.

Please leave your thoughts below.
Can you sell just the keycaps?
Old 25 March 2020, 23:11   #563
Acill
Tech Guru

Mine came in at last. I got the 1200 version and its quite nice. So far it seems to be working just fine.
Old 26 March 2020, 22:23   #564
aeberbach

I would buy just keycaps for sure.

A way to do it might be to sell common set - keys used by all Amigas. Then allow people to add variant kits:

- A600
- A500/1200/2000 etc
- accents
- big ass enter key
maybe that's all you would need?

I think there would be a lot of demand going by the crowdfunded success of the C64 keycaps.
Old 27 March 2020, 16:43   #565
kirk_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
The board itself is not hard to do just a lot of fiddly bits, there are a couple 1206 smd bussed resistors and the chip itself. I will ask AOTL once the orders are caught up if he will sell as kitform, The chip would have to be pre-soldered.

The issue with kits is that it could introduce unverified components that for whatever reason causes the board to not function. If it was me i would sell as a kit the entire components BOM and allow the end user to put together with limited support. Kit would include the 2 PCBs, keycaps, presoldered USB chip and if required the MX switches.

I will approach AOTL and see if he is willing to alow this option to either new customers or offer existing customers the opportunity to do it themselves.

Please leave your thoughts below.

I had asked them that about 3 months ago, and, got a resounding no. Maybe your asking will lend more weight to it. I wouldn't even need them to solder anything, as long as the USB chip isn't BGA.
Old 27 March 2020, 16:48   #566
kirk_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by deimos View Post
I'd buy a kit. And find a way to let people who are still waiting downgrade to a kit.

But then, someone has to write instructions.

But also, kits don't tend to get warranties, so they've got that going for them.

But, maybe they've almost caught up with the backlog...

They updated their blog about a week ago. Those who have received their boards are those who ordered during the first half of the month of October 2018. They anticipate finishing the second half of October and all of November in the next 6-8 weeks. If you ordered after that...who knows when you'll receive it.