English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 10 January 2020, 15:34   #141
Matt020

I am using an A2000 with a megachip 2mb chipmem, and I think the A500 version would foul the megachip.

So, I believe an A600 version would suit me.

Is there an expected launch date for an A600 version?

Cheers.
Old 14 February 2020, 04:07   #142
eristocratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarakt View Post
Is the romulator compatible with wicher 500i in A500 ?
Not for me, sadly.
Old 15 February 2020, 20:45   #143
katarakt

Thanks for info! Very very bad news

Any idea why this is not working? Maybe the creators can fix this with a romulator FW update ?

Luckily i haven't ordered the romulator yet, but now i don't know what to do. I prepared my case with an ext. USB port especially for the romulator
Old 15 February 2020, 20:47   #144
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Does the witcher have a rom onboard, or hold the machine in reset in any way?
Old 19 February 2020, 08:52   #145
eristocratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by katarakt View Post
Thanks for info! Very very bad news

Any idea why this is not working? Maybe the creators can fix this with a romulator FW update ?

Luckily i haven't ordered the romulator yet, but now i don't know what to do. I prepared my case with an ext. USB port especially for the romulator
Well to be fair, it "works" as in it gets into the selection menu, but whatever rom you select isn't often the rom it will load - it seems to load one at random.

Based on my generally faulty memory (I purchased it in Nov 2019 so it's been a bit) and a paltry 3 use cases, it seemed to be a general incompatibility with anything that's not a stock 68000... Not exactly conclusive but that's all I had/have to test with. I pulled the Wicher out and put a 68000 back in and worked great. I next tried it with a TF534, and it behaved similarly to the Wicher.

I haven't used it since I bought it, as AmigaOnTheLake never replied to my queries and kipper2k doesn't actually have a webpage that I'm aware of with any kind of support. Personally I wonder just how much testing on accelerated machines this potentially wonderful device got, but maybe I'm just thinking out of frustration... Hopefully there will be a firmware update posted someday somewhere.

BTW these were legit roms I captured from my working machines, not that I think it really matters. If you get lucky and it picks the right rom it seems to work fine, as I recall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Does the witcher have a rom onboard, or hold the machine in reset in any way?
Nope, unless there's something going on of which I am unaware. Technically it works, but not in a predictable way.

If anyone's got something they would like me to test I'd be happy to try if I can, but my resources are a bit limited in that respect as I don't have a lot of A500 stuff to play with.

Last edited by eristocratic; 19 February 2020 at 09:20.
Old 19 February 2020, 16:26   #146
mkstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eristocratic View Post
Well to be fair, it "works" as in it gets into the selection menu, but whatever rom you select isn't often the rom it will load - it seems to load one at random.
This is a useful data point.

The firmware was developed on an unaccelerated A500+, for that is the only 68000 machine I have, and although it has been tested on a range of other 16-bit machines they were probably all stock configurations.

If someone wants to loan me a "known bad" accelerator I'm happy to spend some time on it, and you can update the firmware in the Romulator easily provided you are prepared to butcher a USB cable to connect to it. Obviously it would be best if the loan accelerator was already in the UK, or at least Europe.

Either way I will check its operation with our FPGA accelerator once we have the hardware. The prototype board is too cumbersome to allow the Romulator to be installed at the same time unfortunately.

Mike
Old 19 February 2020, 20:56   #147
eristocratic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstr View Post
This is a useful data point.

If someone wants to loan me a "known bad" accelerator I'm happy to spend some time on it, and you can update the firmware in the Romulator easily provided you are prepared to butcher a USB cable to connect to it. Obviously it would be best if the loan accelerator was already in the UK, or at least Europe.

Mike
That's great news! Unfortunately I'm in the US so shipping costs would be prohibitively high to send one of my accelerators out... Hopefully someone else can step in and help to get this solved.

Sometime this week I think I'll break out the Romulator and retest the behavior a bit more closely, in case I can provide a better explanation of its behavior. When I get that done, I'll chime back in here - probably over the weekend.

Thanks Mike
Old 20 February 2020, 19:51   #148
katarakt

This sounds very good. I hope someone can provide an accelerator card to get the problem solved from Mike