English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 18 April 2024, 21:08   #1
Pancio

Pizza Connection - English Translation v0.9 (final)

My adventure with translating this game started back in the 90s when i was a teenager. Using the filemaster hex editor on my amiga 500 I was able to translate the opening menus, but the amount of work was beyond me as a teenager. Then came the PC era, and with it the opportunity to play the English version of Pizza Tycoon, so I completely abandoned the plan to translate the Amiga version.
After more than 20 years, nostalgia struck and I decided to get down to work, so in 2020 I started the project again. It took a while (I was in no hurry and did it in my spare time) but I can proudly announce that I brought the translation to 90% completion. I called this version v0.9 because unfortunately it will be never v1.0 unless someone help me with a graphics

What is translated:
- 99% of main executable
- All characters
- All recipes
- All missions
- All food suppliers and phone contacts
- All text dialogues

What is not translated:
- Names of shops, bars, banks etc. on the map (could not locate these in the files but i think the names are ok and they add character to the cities)
- All graphics (I do not have the skills to do this. however, there are only a few graphics in the game which require translation and I think their meaning is easy to guess)

Extras:
- Included recipes for all, essencial pizzas. Mastering those recipes is the key to success

Known issues:
- Sometimes I had to improvise, as I could not exceed a set character length (for example "district" is now "region" etc.)
- Some of the NPS's statements may be a bit fuzzy It is difficult to change grammar from German to English especially when there are many variables involved. nevertheless, I think they are understandable

Translation is based on english PC version of the game.

Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc1.png
Views:	20
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	82091   Click image for larger version

Name:	pc2.png
Views:	18
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	82092   Click image for larger version

Name:	pc3.png
Views:	17
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	82093   Click image for larger version

Name:	pc4.png
Views:	17
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	82094  

Last edited by Pancio; 27 April 2024 at 20:37.
Old 18 April 2024, 21:30   #2
vulture

Wow! Awesome work man! Many thx for this!
Old 18 April 2024, 22:16   #3
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

This is a nice surprise, good game. I'm sure there are plenty of folk on the forum that could get those handful of graphics converted to English.

There was another thread a while back which had quite a lot of people interested in this.
Old 18 April 2024, 22:36   #4
Pancio

someone mention in one of topics that the best is to deassemble the main executable which gives us oportunity to use longer words. im pretty sure that this could be also use to extract graphics from a game as well.
unfotunately my skills ends up on Hex editor if someone can handle the task of deassembly and assembly the game back again i would be more then happy to finish all the text translation and graphics.
Old 18 April 2024, 22:43   #5
Amigajay

Great work!
Old 19 April 2024, 19:33   #6
Toni Galvez

Very good work, congratulations for translating this game.

I am praying for someone translate Bi-Fi: Action in Hollywood.
Old 19 April 2024, 19:39   #7
kriz

Woah !! Amazing news, finally I can play this one Epic stuff, report back soon
Old 21 April 2024, 02:01   #8
Pancio

i have updated translation to version v0.85 (check The Zone)
whats new:
- all of the food suppliers and phone contacts are now translated. for moscow, athens and zurich i had to improvise, because those are cities exclusive to amiga version of the game.
- all text dialogues have been translated. almost all dialogues have been used directly from the PC version of the game with the exception of one file ('zufall') which is only in the amiga version. this file is already in English
- few cosmetic fixes was also added

on top of that i included handy recipe book in the archive. it contains all 14 recipes for default pizzas. mastering those recipes is key to success

and lastly i cleanded up game directories a little bit.

i think all of the main things are now translated. only fixes or small changes left, so im waiting for your suggestions lets push it together to version v0.9.

enjoy

ps
to see the changes you must unfortunately start a new game

Last edited by Pancio; 21 April 2024 at 02:43.
Old 21 April 2024, 07:45   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Very impressive effort I've also added the latest version to the file server in 'Non TOSEC Games/WHDLoad'.
Old 21 April 2024, 07:47   #10
dreadnought

Thank you for this, Pancio, I love translations - especially of this style Amiga games!
Old 21 April 2024, 10:12   #11
Pancio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Very impressive effort I've also added the latest version to the file server in 'Non TOSEC Games/WHDLoad'.

ha, its nice to hear ill be remembered in EAB history
Old 24 April 2024, 18:41   #12
Pancio

hello there. i have uploaded latest version v0.86 to The Zone. You can test it right now.

Whats new:
- Text on the advertisement flyers was completely messed up. This is now fixed.
- The names of some of the pizzas in pizza charts menu were too long, causing them to overlap with the names of the restaurants. This is also fixed.
- The in-game currency is now the EU (Euro). However, I noticed that NPCs, in addition to the Euro, also used $ (Dollars) and DM (German Marks, the old German currency) in their dialogues. From now on everyone should use EU (Euro) currency.
- Changed the translation of some small things to be more correct. For example "Company place" is now "Premises", "for rent" in now "to rent" etc.
- Refined a little the translation of "zufall" file (it is now more accurate with "zuf1" file).

I also decided to translate the names of the directors of advertising spots. So now we have:
- Steven Grillberg (was Steven Spielking)
- Alfred Hitchhiker
- Dickie Lovely (was Dickie Lovey. I think the authors had Dick Lowry in mind with this one)
- Clint Feastfood (was Klint Ostwood)
- Quentin Guarantino (was Quentin Chaneytino)
Then I noticed that there are a total of 10 commercials and only 5 directors, whose names are repeated twice to fill out the list of ads which was little bit strange for me. That's why I thought it would be nice if each commercial spot had a separate director, so i came up with a 5 new names while trying to maintain the game's fun vibe. Here they are:
- Woody Fallen
- Tim Bourbon
- Stanley Kubrickbreaker
- Martin Scoreseasy
- David Pinch
Hope you like them? no less, I am open to your suggestions. if anyone has an idea for something funny feel free to let me know

cheers
Old 24 April 2024, 18:59   #13
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

It looks like the dedicated Pizza Connection slave works fine with this version.

I have Zoned an archive in need of testing.
Old 24 April 2024, 19:24   #14
Pancio

great stuff thank you very much
i noticed you have added the phonebook to the release. it is not needed anymore, all the phone numbers are in the game.
about "modat" file (data/d/modat). dont know if the game needs this file anyway. it contain furnitures names which are already translated in main executable. also i checked all the files, looking for something about "modat" and i couldn't find anything. decided to remove the file completely and see if it messed up the game, which i belive not (but i keep on testing)
thank you again for dedicated slave retroplay, for sure i'll test it
Old 24 April 2024, 19:42   #15
Seiya

i tried the old 0.8 in WinUAE workbench with WHDLoad installed, but give me the kick40063.A600 damaged kickstart file. I change RTB and kickstart files, but continue to give same error.

but why the game require kick 3.1 A600?

now i will try the new 1.0 version

Last edited by Seiya; 24 April 2024 at 19:48.
Old 24 April 2024, 19:49   #16
Pancio

everything working fine on my winuae and mister device with kickstart 3.1. didn't test it on lower kicks.
Old 24 April 2024, 20:00   #17
Seiya

now it works with this 1.0 version
Old 24 April 2024, 20:03   #18
Pancio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
now it works with this 1.0 version

happy to hear that
this is still version v0.86 of translation but with dedicated v1.0 slave (before i was using generic workbench 3.1 1mb slave for a game)

ps
decided to remove my version (generic WHDL) from The Zone to avoid confusion. from now on Retroplay's dedicated version is a way to go
cheers

Last edited by Pancio; 24 April 2024 at 20:25.
Old 24 April 2024, 22:26   #19
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Right, it's added to WHDLoad set using Stingrays v1.0 slave on the FTP.
xFlesk readme renamed to "eng0.86" and phonenumbers file deleted since it's not needed.
Old 27 April 2024, 18:58   #20
Pancio

This is the final version v0.9 of my translation. After going through all the files again and again and exhausted all the ideas, I came to the conclusion that this is it. I have translated everything I could translate, the rest will have to be done by someone more knowledgeable

Whats new:
- corrected some capital letters problems
- corrected some translation issues (mostly small things)
- Deleted the pdf recipe book. In order to open this file, we need a pretty powerful Amiga, which did not really fit with the whole thing. I replaced it with simplified recipes in iff format, which can be viewed on lo-res amigas (these days anyone interested will probably use their phone to find what they need on the internet anyway).
- updated "readme" file

I uploaded the translation package to The Zone. However, this is not the whdl version. I hope Retroplay will prepare the final package with a dedicated slave and upload it to the server for you to enjoy.

cheers

PS
can someone remove "v0.8" from the title of this thread ? if I had known you couldn't change the name of the topic I would have written it differently thank you