English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 09 February 2009, 23:57   #1
ref

Angry SCSI CDROM on a590 "invalid disk" problem.

Hi,

I got a a500+ (with icd adspeed) with 3.1 roms, and a590 attached to it.
Recently I managed to find an old SCSI CDROM and connect it externally to back of the a590. I installed WB3.1 (40.42), and idefix97 from aminet. idefix succesfully detected the drive and it works nice.

But it can only managed to read one cd. I mean it only reads an old CD, "the CD" (it has 10 small avi files in it, total 44MB) and transfer files. My amiga can read only from that CD, none other. I tried to write at slow speed, high speed, different cd brands, strict joliet restrictions, UDF file system, I even created a 44MB disc with 10 dummy files... ...no avail.

Here is what's happening:

1. When I insert a new iso cd, CDROM reads, lits green light, stops.
2. No icons appears on WB. So I start a shell and type CD1:
3. Error requester appears: "Not a DOS disk in device cd1:" retry/cancel
4. Returns to CLI with "invalid disk" error.
5. I insert the *magic* disc, "My Disc", (which contains my avi studies), CDROM reads, lits green light, stops.
6. "My Disc" icon appears on WB. Works flawlessly. It always works in every condition Damn disc!

it might be a software problem because CDROM drive can read the disc, and stops with green light (ready). I tried a bad disc on it, and it couldn'T managed to read it and stopped with a red light.

What I'm doing wrong, I can't remember how did I burn the only working one "my disc", I don't know how it's working. Possibly there can be other working discs in my archive, but still I can't burn new discs to use on my miggy.

Are there any restricions on File System?

Btw. I burn discs with Nero on WinXP.

thanks for reading
Old 10 February 2009, 00:55   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Does the "My disk" have the 'tm' file in it?

How do you set the CDFS on the IDEfix package? Re-selectable?

What version of SCSI chip you have? Any 33C93 version prior to -08 will bring problems with removable media.

Also, did you remove the SCSI bus terminator packs on the A590 to add the external device?
Old 10 February 2009, 01:32   #3
ref

**"Does the "My disk" have the 'tm' file in it?"
No. it has two folders and about 10 small avi files.

**"How do you set the CDFS on the IDEfix package? Re-selectable?"
I just run the installer and answer questions step by step. I cannot remember when I select cdfs. But CDFS tool in prefs reports "CDFS filesystem on CD1:" on "about" window.

**"What version of SCSI chip you have? Any 33C93 version prior to -08 will bring problems with removable media."

WD33C93A-PL
00-03 8909
I don't know which one is the version number. 03 maybe?

and, a590 bios is v6.0, and controller is 390563-01.

**"Also, did you remove the SCSI bus terminator packs on the A590 to add the external device?"

Which terminator packs? I just removed the XT drive, installed an internal SCSI harddisk and an external scsi cdrom. I didn't set anything.

But still, why it accepts "my disc" disc? Also, findCD (from idefix package) can succesfully detect CDrom, Yamaha etc.

edit:
I found another (very old) CD that works in current setup. Hmm, maybe CDROM drive is dodgy.

Last edited by ref; 10 February 2009 at 01:54.
Old 10 February 2009, 02:00   #4
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref View Post
I burn discs with Nero on WinXP.
Have you made sure that the Multisession option is turned off in Nero when burning?

PZ.
Old 10 February 2009, 10:36   #5
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Have you made sure that the Multisession option is turned off in Nero when burning?

PZ.
Yes. And no relaxed iso settings. Everything is by the book. I tried 10 different settings and file system when burning, none of them is worked. I even tried to burn discs with imgburn, no avail. I guess it's a dodgy cdrom. I'll just leave it alone and fiddle with my speccy +3.
Old 10 February 2009, 12:08   #6
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Granted I do not have an A590, but whenever I want a data CD for the miggy via PC, just use the XP CD Burning Wizard & they read on the Amiga just fine.

You know, right-click "send to D" (or whatever your drive is assigned as), then click the pop-up & burn CD.

Might be worth a try...do not give up man, if it can read these old CDs there MUST be hope for it yet

PZ.
Old 10 February 2009, 12:13   #7
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:

and, a590 bios is v6.0, and controller is 390563-01.

You need V7 ROMS (final release) in your A590 /A2091 for full compatibility with KS3.1 & removeable media esp CDROMS to read the full capacity with success.
I have had this issue before with a friends system & we burnt new Eproms for the A2091

TC
Old 11 February 2009, 01:58   #8
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B View Post
Granted I do not have an A590, but whenever I want a data CD for the miggy via PC, just use the XP CD Burning Wizard & they read on the Amiga just fine.

You know, right-click "send to D" (or whatever your drive is assigned as), then click the pop-up & burn CD.

Might be worth a try...do not give up man, if it can read these old CDs there MUST be hope for it yet

PZ.
tried and failed
I updated drive's firmware to latest version. It supposed to add support for the "high speed new cdroms". But no change at all.

First I'm gonna try another CDFS driver. I don't trust idefix. Any nice alternatives for 68000 and wb3.1?

Then I'll try to burn a a590 roms v7. this will take time...

thanks for help guys.
Old 11 February 2009, 02:20   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Sorry man, I've only ever used IDEFix

I think there is one called CacheCDFS...although the name is a bit confusing

PZ.
Old 11 February 2009, 09:47   #10
zipper

CacheCDFS is included in IdeFix package. Another version is on 3.9 CD.
Old 11 February 2009, 10:29   #11
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
CacheCDFS is included in IdeFix package. Another version is on 3.9 CD.
Yes, I tried that too (I copied cacheCDFS from os3.9:l/ to wb3.1/l) still no change.

I'm gonna try AmiCDFS tonight when I get home.
Old 11 February 2009, 11:26   #12
zipper

Did you use CD0 mount file from 3.9, too?
Old 11 February 2009, 11:43   #13
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
You need V7 ROMS (final release) in your A590 /A2091 for full compatibility with KS3.1 & removeable media esp CDROMS to read the full capacity with success.
I have had this issue before with a friends system & we burnt new Eproms for the A2091

TC

Spend your energies on getting this done.
IDEFix is fine & uses cachecdfs which weas eventually included with OS3.5 /3.9. there is nothing wrong with IDEFix

TC
Old 11 February 2009, 12:13   #14
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorfiot View Post
Spend your energies on getting this done.
IDEFix is fine & uses cachecdfs which weas eventually included with OS3.5 /3.9. there is nothing wrong with IDEFix

TC

*I guess* I'll need a controller update too (390563-01). Rom update is not enough in my a590 board. I've read about that in this forum somewhere.
Old 12 February 2009, 04:59   #15
rkauer

Not this chip, mate.

You need the WD33C93 -08 if you experience random lock-ups on the SCSI controller.
Old 12 February 2009, 12:47   #16
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkauer View Post
Not this chip, mate.

You need the WD33C93 -08 if you experience random lock-ups on the SCSI controller.
no, I mean, there was a seperate thread about max HD size that a590 supports. And everyone agrees that a590 is limited to 1GB HD capacity because of that chip AND the bios version. Then I had checked my board only to find out I have v6 bios and old controller chip. So I realized that I have to upgrade both bios and the chip.

But maybe it's only appiles to XT drives? If I use Scsi drives will it only use WD33C93 chip?
Old 12 February 2009, 13:19   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
But maybe it's only appiles to XT drives? If I use Scsi drives will it only use WD33C93 chip?
"Controller" chip is DMA controller (DMAC) which transfer the data to/from memory without using CPU time. It is required in both SCSI and XT operation.

There is still too much conflicting information if new ROM versions need -02 DMAC.
Old 12 February 2009, 13:30   #18
ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
There is still too much conflicting information if new ROM versions need -02 DMAC.
thanks toni, I was about to update my above post about my concerns about my knowledge about a590:

"Ofcourse I could be mistaken. But after I installed a 2GB scsi hd and had problems with second partition located above 1GB space (it became invalid after I use it a little), I accepted that my controller chip is old. I really don't know about real limitations of a590 and it's real causes. Just bits and pieces of information from this forum discussions."

So now in the light of toni's last message I can understand that:

a. 390563-01 DMA Controller chip may not need to be upgraded (to 390563-02) if I want to install V6.6/V7 roms.

b. There is not enough information about SCSI chip WD33C93A-PL but WD33C93A-08 is reported to be bugfree.
Old 13 February 2009, 02:51   #19
rkauer

That issue is not related with the controller chip, just with the ROM version: up to 6.6 the controller only accept HD under 1Gb.

Reply to b. : WD33C93 -08 will fix freezes on the SCSI chain when removable devices are attached (Scanners, CD-ROM, Zip drives and others).