English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 April 2023, 21:27   #1
tech3475

PiStorm32-Lite problems

So last week I received my PiStorm32-Lite from AmigaKit for my Amiga 1200, however I've been unable to get it working.

The general issues I have are either:
1) Black screen
2) Blinking green screen
3) Boots but crashes (both in Early Startup Menu and Workbench)
4) Acts like it's not present

I've tried the following:
1) Trying both my RPI3B and RPI4
2) Trying 2 different mSD cards
3) Trying a slightly older build of emu68
4) Trying the PiStorm32 branch of Musashi
5) Cleaning the Amiga's edge connector with IPA
6) Making sure the system still works with my old ACA1233n (it does)
7) Removing my IDE devices
8) Using an older KS ROM on the RPI

Is there anything else anyone can think of for me to try before I look at returning it?

For more context, my system is in a Checkmate 1500 case, powered by a 300w SFX ATX PSU, SUM1200 KB adapter, Gotek FDD, IDE DVD ROM, IDE-CF adapter, video via RGB adapter, Kickstart 3.2.2 (burned EPROMs).
Old 10 April 2023, 22:49   #2
itsmedoofer

It's probably not the edge connector as your ACA is working, but rather than cleaning with just IPA, try rubbing a soft pencil eraser over the edge pads on the MB and then cleaning with IPA, the eraser should polish them up and get them back to being shiny. Probably not the issue but nothing to loose...

I got mine same time as you by the sounds of it, again from AmigaKit, you won't want to hear it but its working as intended....
Old 11 April 2023, 11:28   #3
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedoofer View Post
It's probably not the edge connector as your ACA is working, but rather than cleaning with just IPA, try rubbing a soft pencil eraser over the edge pads on the MB and then cleaning with IPA, the eraser should polish them up and get them back to being shiny. Probably not the issue but nothing to loose...

I got mine same time as you by the sounds of it, again from AmigaKit, you won't want to hear it but its working as intended....

I just gave it a go and unfortunately it didn't work.
Old 11 April 2023, 13:29   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

What revision motherboard do you have? Has it had what is known as the "timing fixes"? The ACA is probably less sensitive than PiStorm.

Even though the PiStorm boards will have been tested prior to dispatch there is always a slim chance of in-field failure. Once you've ruled out everything else contact AmigaKit and arrange an RMA. You have a mandatory 2 year warranty.

If you do return it ensure that it is sent either by a company arranged by Amigakit OR insured recorded delivery.
Old 11 April 2023, 13:46   #5
nikosidis

The timing fixes does nothing for Pistorm32.

On my Raspberry pi 3a the pin header to connect to pistorm32 had 1 pin that was not soldered. When I soldered that pin everything works great. Before that I could not boot. Problem is that you tried Pi3 and Pi4 so it seams it might be something with the pistorm32. Check solder joints.
Old 11 April 2023, 13:56   #6
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosidis View Post
The timing fixes does nothing for Pistorm32.
Where do you get that information from? Experience?

Certainly NOT what the engineering experts are saying, they intimate that they are necessary for all A1200 Accelerators to function correctly.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4210
Old 11 April 2023, 18:08   #7
itsmedoofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
I just gave it a go and unfortunately it didn't work.
Sorry about that, was a bit of a last gasp I suppose. All the best, hope you get it sorted soon..
Old 11 April 2023, 20:14   #8
tech3475

So some updates:
1) So the caffeine os image (which I know from Youtube works) finally downloaded, this by default is set to boot through RTG/HDMI once in Workbench....and it seems to be working just fine. I was able to mount the floppy and copy Install3.2 from the Gotek to the Ram Disk.

However, when I reboot and go into early startup/boot Install 3.2 from the Gotek, which uses the RGB port, I start to have issues again.

It seems like there's an issue related to when using onboard video and the PiStorm.

Unfortunately I don't have much time to mess around today, but I might try setting up a fresh image using WinUAE of 3.2 with RTG/HDMI setup to see if it works this way and it's not some fluke of the Caffeine image.

Is there any recommended software for testing the stability of the system?

2) It's a 2B revision, looking around, it seems like 040+ have issues more so than (native) 030s, so I'm wondering now if this may be the problem.

Note: This is the guide I had originally used:
http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/Pistorm32-Lite
Old 11 April 2023, 22:17   #9
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Where do you get that information from? Experience?

Certainly NOT what the engineering experts are saying, they intimate that they are necessary for all A1200 Accelerators to function correctly.

https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4210

I got it from the guy that made the pistorm32 design. He said that different A1200 models will not effect Pistorm32 as it does with some accelerators.
Old 11 April 2023, 23:55   #10
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Ok. I'll ask Claude for details on the PiStorm discord. I'm surprised though. If I get a response I'll post back
Old 12 April 2023, 00:14   #11
amigakit.com

Quote:
Our technician carefully builds the Pistorm32-Lite by in house and then they are bench tested thoroughly before sending out the package. We have not had any faulty units.

Quote:
Note: This is the guide I had originally used:
http://wiki.amiga.org/index.php/Pistorm32-Lite
If you can suggest any improvements to the wiki pages, we will be happy to receive your feedback.
Old 12 April 2023, 07:53   #12
nikosidis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Ok. I'll ask Claude for details on the PiStorm discord. I'm surprised though. If I get a response I'll post back

That is exactly who I have talked to but as you do not believe me, that is fine.
Old 12 April 2023, 21:27   #13
tech3475

Quick update.

Unfortunately my firewall was having issues today so I didn't have much time to look at the Amiga.

What I noticed though was that a new build of emu68 was released for the pistorm32.

I quickly tested this and from my initial tests it was FAR more stable than before, although still with issues e.g. early startup.

I was able to at least get to a point that I could partition the mSD using HDToolbox, although I still had crashes in early startup.

If I can, I'm going to try installing 3.2 tomorrow on the Amiga itself to see how far I can get.
Old 13 April 2023, 20:41   #14
tech3475

So I've been trying again.

One annoying thing was that the ACA stopped reliably working as well, it seems that KS 3.2.2 gave me issues because once I used maprom to downgrade to 3.2 it was fine.

Wiped and reburnt the EPROMS and it seemed to be working now.

Unfortunately this has done nothing to help me with the PiStorm32 which is still problematic.

I tried Musashi again, because it allowed me to change the CPU type e.g. 68020 and whilst it will get as far as WB now, it crashes almost instantly.

I also had a look at the 'buptest' on the caffine os image, modified the text file from 512 to 2048 and no errors reported.

Does anyone know of anything else I can try?

I might try to remove the resistors, but that wont be for a while.
Old 13 April 2023, 23:42   #15
itsmedoofer

Just for the record, mine is in a 1D4 mobo that has not got the timing fixes, on board I have 3.1 roms but am using a 3.2.2 ROM image on the SD.

So far touch wood it is really quite stable, I had a few initial issues with sloooooow unreliable cards but once I figured that out I've been grand.

Did you try different brands of SD? I have always used Kingston but for what ever reason they were a pile of crud in this case, slow and lockups when writing files, swapped to a PNY and all the issues went....

Edit; have you tried asking on the discord channel? The devs hang out there, super helpful and approachable...
Old 14 April 2023, 10:20   #16
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmedoofer View Post
Just for the record, mine is in a 1D4 mobo that has not got the timing fixes.

In my opinion, saying revs, does not matter at all. As I have worked on thousands of boards and even same rev boards have different factory mods.

Other things can alter timing slightly. Like different accelerator cards.
Best example is PCMCIA. Transfer kit in my 1D4 works perfect. Take it over to test 1D4 and it does not work (unless its formatted). Put my Accelerator in test 1D4 and it works and vise versa.
Old 14 April 2023, 16:18   #17
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

3.2.2 straight from a 32GB MicroSD, 1D4 , 3A+, Indivision Mk3.

Perfect.

Be sure you are installing the the latest 32Lite file & not the top file on GitHub.
The top file is not for a Pistorm32Lite....

...Is it FOL.
Old 14 April 2023, 18:16   #18
Imre69

It looks like all of 1d4 works fine with pistorm lite. But it looks like the quite a few rev. 2b mainboard goes wrong with pistorm lite, just like mine.

Also according to an other experienced Amiga repairman the well known timing issue can cause this malfunction.
Old 14 April 2023, 18:59   #19
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imre69 View Post
It looks like all of 1d4 works fine with pistorm lite. But it looks like the quite a few rev. 2b mainboard goes wrong with pistorm lite, just like mine.

Also according to an other experienced Amiga repairman the well known timing issue can cause this malfunction.
Blame Escom if ya like, but.....

Ian Steadman's site appears to be somewhat, compromised.....
Old 14 April 2023, 20:36   #20
Imre69

I do not like blame Escom, because my amiga is an original commodore product from '92 fabricated with 2B mainboard and it is not working with pistorm.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mY2rvkviNJH9QkUd9

What I wrote is not a conspiracy theory but a fact. I am looking for a solution to this malfunction and would appreciate any useful answers.