English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 19 August 2010, 23:04   #21
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Cheers prowler Just upped them for now and will rename the files over the weekend.
Oh and make a new 'hunt' thread it seems
Old 19 August 2010, 23:11   #22
prowler
Global Moderator

The AUI Extended ADF images are in the Zone now!
Old 19 August 2010, 23:20   #23
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Hehe Well, I rename them and then I think I'll discover they are all there, eh?
Old 19 August 2010, 23:26   #24
prowler
Global Moderator

I'm not sure that we have a complete collection yet, but I hope I have converted all the necessary files. I did check that I had processed them all, but if you find any that don't seem to have been converted, just let me know.

BTW, there are also many duplicate files in that folder which can be deleted. I assume that's because that collection came from two or more folders under the old directory structure.
Old 19 August 2010, 23:27   #25
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I will I might ask for a virus check for some of them, but more about that tomorrow
Thanks again for your effort mate
Old 19 August 2010, 23:45   #26
prowler
Global Moderator

@TCD: I've just realized that the files in that extended ADF archive need to be renamed to keep their reference to -ds0. This is to remind the WinUAE user of the diskspare.device and mountlist requirement.
Old 19 August 2010, 23:51   #27
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I've marked those with [Ext] for now. If there's a special way to use them, it would be great if you could write a short readme what to do
Old 20 August 2010, 00:00   #28
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
If there's a special way to use them, it would be great if you could write a short readme what to do
I'll have a play with them in WinUAE, and when I get them working, I'll reveal how it's done.
Old 20 August 2010, 00:01   #29
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I'll rename the lot tomorrow and remove any dupes. Hope that I end with a full set
Old 20 August 2010, 00:04   #30
prowler
Global Moderator

Good luck with that, mate!
Old 20 August 2010, 00:14   #31
exoticaga

From what i read of your post does that mean that these are ds0 packed in an extended adf archive ?

Dislike the though of adf needing to have ds0 or similar mountlist for them to be used.

From memory disksqueeze process has an .image file made during packing. If this is extracted could this not be convert straight to entended adf. The user would never need to use a mountlist, and can be run like any other extended adf. Also could be written back to amiga floppy hardware when ever they need to.

If the above cannot be done how about writting them back to floppy again, this is with them .image file never been fully unpacked accept. Unpacked only when it is written to a destination amiga floppy disk. Then make an extended adf of the floppy disk to make a new image. That would mean never to use ds0 or other mountlists, as is used like any other adf no mountlist needed.

I'm going by what is written above, not looked at these files on the server yet.
Old 20 August 2010, 00:36   #32
prowler
Global Moderator

I don't know enough about this to say for sure whether what you're suggesting is possible or not.

When I've tried these images out in WinUAE and on Amiga hardware, I'll be able to tell you more.
Old 20 August 2010, 00:53   #33
exoticaga

Problem is with using winuae is keeping getting one image to another dsq to adf without disk content files at all. Once unpacked game is over, i could do that long ago. BUt that isn't 1:1 as original disk. I ended with trying .image file to extended adf but didn't work out at the time, tonis adf tools has been update since i have read.

The best wato do this i would have thought was to use disksqueeze and unpack back to real amiga floppy and then make extended adf of that disk, easy as A-B-C
Old 20 August 2010, 01:07   #34
prowler
Global Moderator

When I have tried them out, I will post details of exactly how to use these disk images in WinUAE, together with a copy of the mountlist to be included on the EAB File Server in the same folder as the files.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
The best wato do this i would have thought was to use disksqueeze and unpack back to real amiga floppy and then make extended adf of that disk, easy as A-B-C
That's what I intend to try on a real amiga. However, I expect that the diskspare.device and a mountlist will be required to write out the floppy disk and also to read it, but I don't know whether the resulting extended ADF will be any different from the one extracted by Toni's uaeunp.exe program.

Last edited by prowler; 20 August 2010 at 01:12.
Old 20 August 2010, 01:22   #35
exoticaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
When I have tried them out, I will post details of exactly how to use these disk images in WinUAE, together with a copy of the mountlist to be included on the EAB File Server in the same folder as the files.
This sounds good if do able, i think it may only be possible to a real amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
That's what I intend to try on a real amiga. However, I expect that the diskspare.device and a mountlist will be required to write out the floppy disk and also to read it, but I don't know whether the resulting extended ADF will be any different from the one extracted by Toni's uaeunp.exe program.
Sure you would need disk mounted with ds0 or similar. Use disksqueeze should then be easy to write them back to floppy. Try the dsq > amiga floppy > extended adf first. Afterwards i you wnat i would appreciate if you find a way with winuae, the dot >.image file direct to extended adf or similar.

I now it is possible because i tested packing and unpacking from disk way back, it worked then without any problems. You have the same tools now as i had then, should be easy to do.
Old 20 August 2010, 01:29   #36
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
This sounds good if do able, i think it may only be possible to a real amiga.
Let's wait and see.

Quote:
Sure you would need disk mounted with ds0 or similar. Use disksqueeze should then be easy to write them back to floppy.

I now it is possible because i tested packing and unpacking from disk way back, it worked then without any problems. You have the same tools now as i had then, should be easy to do.
Yes, I agree. But what you then want me to do is generate an extended ADF from the recreated disk which will be usable in WinUAE without the diskspare.device and mountlist, and I'm not sure that will be possible.
Old 20 August 2010, 02:11   #37
exoticaga

Will wait and see what you think, after you have tried it.
Old 20 August 2010, 08:06   #38
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

They are NOT extended adfs. They include all user data, just like normal 880k adfs do. Exactly the same data that was stored to them before diskspare device stored them in custom format!

Extended adf is pointless way to store disks with logical amigados format. Using rawread to read diskspare disks would store them in custom diskspare format, it would be impossible to access extended adf without proper diskspare mountlist.

Standard ADF with 12 sectors means you can read them without diskspare, just by using correct mountlist. (or by mounting it as a harddrive in emulation..)

btw, you can drag those dsq files to emulation wb window to mount them as harddrive if uaeunp is too annoying to use
Old 20 August 2010, 09:50   #39
exoticaga

Didn't know that standard adf could have 12sectors. Thought it would have been 11 only as with amiga dos disks. Though as there is little info for adf i found a few ago months ago, should tried 12 sectors with rawread if was possible then.

So maybe then it's also possible unpack dsq to .image file and mount it with ds0. Then direct that to rawread to standard adf using winuae.

Excuse if missed something as cannot get in front of winuae setup i had for this right now, changing back to old mb (one memory slot is dead).
Old 20 August 2010, 21:28   #40
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Standard ADF with 12 sectors means you can read them without diskspare, just by using correct mountlist.
Hi Toni,

That's what I was hoping. If I create a suitable WinUAE mountlist called DS0 for these 12 sectors per track ADF images when inserted in DF0:, can I place it in Devs/DOSDrivers and access those images as DS0: when they are inserted?

Sorry, I haven't had much time to try it this evening, as I'm in dispute with an eBay seller.