Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 18 March 2012, 21:49   #1
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Eek Computer game playing record

From Pat's video and an online source:
Quote:
Computer game playing
The marathon record for playing a computer game was broken when Jürgen Kopmann (Germany) played the computer game "FATE: Gates of Dawn" for 166 hours in 1991.
Wow, is this true?
Why so little info on the net?

I'd like to know more about it, such as, was he playing on the Amiga?
How many poop/food/sleep brakes he had?

Other sources: http://www.recordholdersrepublic.co....ils.asp?id=254
http://www.alternativerecords.co.uk/...s.asp?recid=55
http://www.recordholders.org/de/members.html
Old 21 March 2012, 13:55   #2
Patarival

I've read it in an old magazine and remembered it while I was writing my Fate review.

My memories are a bit hazy, though. I remember that the official Guinness rules were that he could stop every hour for a 5 minute break, where he could do whatever he wanted i.e. pooping/eating/powernapping.

Of course, drinking and eating could also be done while playing but he had to be careful, not to drink to much so that he didn't have to go to the bathroom outside of these 5 minute breaks.

I remember reading an interview where he said that coffee didn't work and only made him sleepy so he drank mainly fruit juices.
I also remember that this was a sponsored event by reLine and some German magazine and that he could essentially play whatever games he wanted - it didn't have to be the same game all the time - but he was so fascinated by Fate that he played nothing else.

I think, he started the event with another guy but this other guy had to quit after 30 hours or so.

Mr Kopmann was watched during the whole time he played, so that he wouldn't cheat and so that nothing bad happened (I think I read a story somewhere that he began hallucinating after 70 hours).

I mean, 166 hours is almost an entire weak without sleep. That can't be healthy.
Old 21 March 2012, 16:56   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Wow, hardcore, thanks for the explanation Pat.

My personal gaming marathon record is about 2.5 days without sleeping, but of course I gave meself much longer brakes... and wouldn't want to repeat that. These days 1.5 day of staying awake is killing me...

Last edited by Shoonay; 21 March 2012 at 17:22.
Old 21 March 2012, 19:33   #4
wilshy

There's something on the Retro League podcast about some guy in the US who was "practising" by playing QBert for 80 hours.
Old 21 March 2012, 21:14   #5
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Some magazine articles (ASM) about this playing record. Sorry, German only.

LINK1

LINK2
Old 21 March 2012, 22:15   #6
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Some magazine articles (ASM) about this playing record. Sorry, German only.

LINK1

LINK2
Yes, now it is clear - see the background photo on page 2. There is clearly written that the record was beaten thru Fate, Gates of dawn on AMIGA! But if I understand well, it was 120 hours, not 166. Still, thats incredible!

Bellow the article there is a part of another article and I think there is written that 166 is his personal record, so unofficical.

Last edited by Predseda; 21 March 2012 at 22:22.
Old 22 March 2012, 09:33   #7
Patarival

Okay, I seem to have gotten a few things wrong. Well, it was from memory, because I never do research about games I review, so that they are unbiased.

Apparently, his first record, that of 120 hours (still massively impressive) was by playing Fate. In his second (but apparently still official) record, he was playing various games.