English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 December 2023, 02:06   #1
spannernick
Retro Nuts

I had a problem with fitting a PiStrom A500

I had a problem with fitting a PiStrom A500 board Adapter and broke the pins on it trying to push it in as hard as I can and it would not going properly and remove the motherboard from the A500 case and it still would not go in so this is not easy to do, it will depend on your CPU socket, my CPU has never been removed so thats probably why it has a problem, I will now need to fix the PiStorm A500 board pins and change the A500 CPU socket so the PiStorm goes in OK, well its taught me a lot about the PiStorm...

So if you buy one do not think it will be easy to fit, it might not depending on your CPU socket, its a shame the PiStorm board can not slot over the 68000 CPU instead of having to remove it, the A600 PiStorm works that way.
Old 03 December 2023, 02:40   #2
SkulleateR

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
it might not depending on your CPU socket, its a shame the PiStorm board can not slot over the 68000 CPU instead of having to remove it, the A600 PiStorm works that way.
Really ??? I always hated the way the Turbocards had to be mounted on top of the chips, it's unreliable! After some years stuck in there, the contacts got loose and you have serious contact issues sometimes ... it also stresses the original cpu on the board (and the welding points) so that you may end in a non functional board after all
Old 03 December 2023, 08:57   #3
derSammler

I installed it in an A500 that never had its CPU removed either. Yes, it was very hard to get it all the way in. But if you press evenly, it will eventually go in. Using too much force or trying to get one side down first can always result in damage.

On the other hand, people should also be aware that the round pins of the PiStorm board will sadly ruin the CPU socket anyway.
Old 07 December 2023, 15:35   #4
spannernick
Retro Nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkulleateR View Post
Really ??? I always hated the way the Turbocards had to be mounted on top of the chips, it's unreliable! After some years stuck in there, the contacts got loose and you have serious contact issues sometimes ... it also stresses the original cpu on the board (and the welding points) so that you may end in a non functional board after all
I didn't know that they get loose over time.

I have new pins now plus the right socket for it now to replace the CPU Socket, I got as well a desolder pump too, cause I have messed up the board before desoldering ICs, not too worried because I have another 2 A500 motherboards that work so 3 in total but will try my hardest not to mess it up, Finger Crossed...

The pins probably do not fit the CPU Socket properly because if you look at the legs on the CPU there are flat not round and no one makes pins that are flat, well no one makes CPUs like that no more too, only if there were going to recreate A500 motherboard but they would have different sockets on its board so its more up to date and makes it easier to remove and replace its ICs on it board, like the blue sockets that are like how a Intel CPU is held in by a bar that locks the pins in place, thats what I do anyway... .

Last edited by spannernick; 07 December 2023 at 16:03.
Old 07 December 2023, 15:41   #5
derSammler

He was refering to turbo cards e.g. for the A600. This won't happen with something you stick into the A500's CPU socket.
Old 07 December 2023, 15:41   #6
hooverphonique
ex. demoscener "Bigmama"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spannernick View Post
I didn't know that they get loose over time.
What skulleater is referring to must be boards that are squeezed over top of plcc chips. In an A500 with a socketed DIP CPU, there should be no problem having a small board mounted in the socket instead.