English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 24 April 2019, 22:53   #941
matburton

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
keep in mind that if you use an ECS agnus in an A500 or A2000 you MUST use an ECS denise too or you will have some problems (with overscan and some other things)
You're right using WinUAE with an ECS Agnus and an ECS Denise together have the correct result.

Is an ECS Denise an easy drop-in replacement for the OCS Denise on an A500 rev 6A?
Does having a ECS Denise introduce different compatibility problems?

(Sorry kaffer I wasn't expecting to pollute this thread!)
Old 30 May 2019, 15:22   #942
spudje

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
OSD on the Amiga's display, someone was discussing it, it might be possible. I'm not seriously investigating at the moment though.
Finally got the time to setup a gotek for my A500 with FlashFloppy. Looks great! Hope you are still considering the OSD option...

Question: Is there a way to boot with a specific slot from the (HxC) image-selector program? I only achieve it to reboot with slot 1 selected, requiring me to manually browse to the correct slot

Oh and is there a way with HXCFEMNG to also (clearly) list the empty slots when getting them from the config, so I can easily fill them in a text editor? Now it simply does not include them in the getslots result if I'm not mistaken.

Other option won't work: HxCEdit crashes for me. Never mind, FF-HxC Editor does work

Last edited by spudje; 30 May 2019 at 15:54.
Old 02 June 2019, 11:44   #943
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
Finally got the time to setup a gotek for my A500 with FlashFloppy. Looks great! Hope you are still considering the OSD option...

Question: Is there a way to boot with a specific slot from the (HxC) image-selector program? I only achieve it to reboot with slot 1 selected, requiring me to manually browse to the correct slot
Key F7 should do this.
Old 02 June 2019, 11:46   #944
Keir

New Major Release v2 (new stable release series)

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/News

Everyone is recommended to upgrade. See above for major changes since v1.

EDIT: Anyone sharing/reporting is welcome to copy the news item in the above link, edited or verbatim.

Last edited by Keir; 02 June 2019 at 11:52.
Old 13 June 2019, 10:12   #945
Keir

New Experimental Release v3.1a

https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/wiki/Downloads
  • OLED: Text height and content can be configured (FF.CFG: oled-text=)
    • New default for 128x64 displays presents a new third text row
  • LCD/OLED: Present an action menu when an image is ejected
    • Includes Clone and Delete Image operations

Old 15 June 2019, 05:55   #946
quantum8

^ This is awesome, I have a few of these laying around to try!
Old 28 June 2019, 11:02   #947
Keir

FlashFloppy TestBed now Open Source!

https://github.com/keirf/FF_TestBed/wiki

This is the testbed I use to validate FlashFloppy releases and now I put the capability into the hands of suitably advanced users, to validate their Gotek and USB-drive hardware!

I will be continuing development of the testbed to provide ever clearer performance metrics for firmware tuning, and for competitive benchmarks that everyone can reproduce and validate!

Old 19 September 2019, 15:33   #948
Keir

Via the power of the "STM32 Blue Pill" it is now possible to send the FlashFloppy display to the Amiga's monitor (On Screen Display), and to control the Gotek buttons via the Amiga's keyboard.

This makes a fully embedded installation of FlashFloppy, and no case cutting or 3d-printed addons, a serious proposition!

See the FF OSD project wiki for more details: https://github.com/keirf/FF_OSD/wiki

Example Video (Amstrad CPC, so keyboard input is not demonstrated): [ Show youtube player ]
Old 20 September 2019, 02:51   #949
esel

Cool, have to try it out !
Old 13 November 2019, 04:03   #950
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaffer View Post
[SIZE="3"]

Via the power of the "STM32 Blue Pill" it is now possible to send the FlashFloppy display to the Amiga's monitor (On Screen Display), and to control the Gotek buttons via the Amiga's keyboard.

This makes a fully embedded installation of FlashFloppy, and no case cutting or 3d-printed addons, a serious proposition!

Keirf great work! I noted there was no mention of your other use of the "STM32 Blue Pill" ie Greaseweazle!? Ordering my device as I write! Although I think you officially released it in October.

On a side note. Is there anyway of having something of this kind implemented for the Gotek:

USB-A to USB-A cable connecting a PC/laptop to the Gotek and then using an app on PC to 'insert' the ADF. The only reason I ask this, is that it will save me putting files on USB stick and using ADF on the fly. I was thinking if it mounted something like 'PCDRIVE.ADF' and you essentially insert/eject the ADF image on PC but the name does not need changing on Gotek.

Not sure if the above is feasible but would be great if it could work.
Old 13 November 2019, 05:16   #951
amiman99

Can someone explain for me how does the "On Screen Display" work using Gotek? Magic?
Old 13 November 2019, 07:43   #952
solarmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiman99 View Post
Can someone explain for me how does the "On Screen Display" work using Gotek? Magic?
FF OSD can be considered an I2C display emulator running on an STM32 Blue Pill. It can be used to replaced (or run in parallel) the existing I2C OLED/LED display connected to the Gotek.

FF OSD can also intercept keyboard signals and pass them on the the Gotek (via the I2C bus), or potentially other devices, to emulate buttons and switches.

The diagram on the FF OSD Github page nicely summarises the solution:

https://github.com/keirf/FF_OSD
https://github.com/keirf/FF_OSD/wiki...re-Connections

Old 13 November 2019, 16:07   #953
amiman99

Thanks for the diagram and links.
Now I know.
Old 13 November 2019, 19:39   #954
Bren McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
FF OSD can be considered an I2C display emulator running on an STM32 Blue Pill. It can be used to replaced (or run in parallel) the existing I2C OLED/LED display connected to the Gotek.
This looks amazing, how do you mix the signals? This is what I don't understand Also can it turn itself off? The video I saw the text was overlayed constantly.
Old 13 November 2019, 19:52   #955
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren McGuire View Post
This looks amazing, how do you mix the signals? This is what I don't understand Also can it turn itself off? The video I saw the text was overlayed constantly.
It turns off after a period of inactivity just as an attached OLED would.

There's also an Amiga hotkey for toggling the OSD (if you have tapped the Amiga keyboard lines).
Old 13 November 2019, 19:54   #956
solarmon

Quote:
Basically, it overlays on to one of the colour signals.

The display idle timeout and wake should be what is configured in FlashFloppy.
Old 13 November 2019, 19:54   #957
Keir

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Keirf great work! I noted there was no mention of your other use of the "STM32 Blue Pill" ie Greaseweazle!? Ordering my device as I write! Although I think you officially released it in October.

On a side note. Is there anyway of having something of this kind implemented for the Gotek:

USB-A to USB-A cable connecting a PC/laptop to the Gotek and then using an app on PC to 'insert' the ADF. The only reason I ask this, is that it will save me putting files on USB stick and using ADF on the fly. I was thinking if it mounted something like 'PCDRIVE.ADF' and you essentially insert/eject the ADF image on PC but the name does not need changing on Gotek.

Not sure if the above is feasible but would be great if it could work.
It is technically feasible but a bunch of work and not really the most practical setup for most people, so I doubt it would ever be implemented!
Old 13 November 2019, 20:12   #958
lesta_smsc

I suspected that might be the case... nevermind
Old 14 November 2019, 16:47   #959
Bren McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Basically, it overlays on to one of the colour signals.
But how? Do I have to modify my Amiga with a wire to the signal? This is what I don't understand.
Old 14 November 2019, 17:19   #960
solarmon

Quote:
But how? Do I have to modify my Amiga with a wire to the signal? This is what I don't understand.
You solder on to one of the Amiga RGB signals, and on to one of the Amiga video sync signal - see here for more details:

https://github.com/keirf/FF_OSD/wiki/Amiga-Connections

Here is a summary for the connections on an A1200:

Last edited by solarmon; 14 November 2019 at 17:31.