English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 May 2010, 10:37   #1
Grimbog

Rob Hubbard's Delta

Hey folks,

Been ages since I've been on here - still quietly composing in the background. I'm going to submit a track to remix64 soonish, but wondered if I can get some advice/opinion here beforehand?

I want to somehow get in touch with Rob Hubbard to seek permission to comercially release this track on the general market (with royalties going to him) - early days yet, but I think this has potential. He's a massive influence on my work (it was computer composers like him that got me started in professional music later in life) and I still use a myriad of retro computers alongside contemporary instruments for my music.

I'd also like to get opinions from the community directly, as I want to do this track some justice. How would you guys feel if this was to be commercial? The style is 80's in nature, and pretty much uses all kinds of early synths (MS-20, ARP 2600 etc.). I've uploaded the 1st day's work for you to have a listen, and I'm currently writing lyrics which should be laid down today with any luck, but wouldnt mind some honest feedback to make sure I get it 'right'.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. Simply enjoy!

EDIT: Preview over - link now removed.

Last edited by Grimbog; 23 June 2010 at 21:52.
Old 01 June 2010, 01:20   #2
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbog View Post
I'm going to submit a track to remix64 soonish, but wondered if I can get some advice/opinion here beforehand?

I want to somehow get in touch with Rob Hubbard to seek permission to comercially release this track on the general market
You will have to contact Chris Abbot, he runs http://www.c64audio.com/ and he is the publisher for Rob.

My personal opinion is that remakes of Hubbard tunes out of the SID chip don't sound good, and commercial releases are worth it only if they are original material or comissioned remixes. Sorry.
Old 01 June 2010, 09:42   #3
Grimbog

Brilliant, thanks Akira - I'll send Chris some info on the project in due course.

Totally understand where you're coming from regarding remakes using the SID chip. This track was actually composed from scratch using contemporary instruments, and there is no SID sound in this track - it will make more sense once I've uploaded the final track version. I'm more worried about the vocals coming across as desired at this stage, but so far its going well.
Old 01 June 2010, 14:28   #4
Amiga1992

Not a problem, man!

B the way, don't take what I say the wrong way, I heard your version and I thought it was impressive technical wise, but Hubbard used the SID to its max as an instrument, and in the same way a piece composed for one instrument doesn't sound as good when played in another, the same happens with SID.

My friend is one of the people involved in C64 Orchestra and I find it an interesting project but it happens the same in my mind: Hubbard's compositions were tightly knit for a SID synthesizer.
Old 02 June 2010, 10:46   #5
Grimbog

heh.... no worries!

If there's one thing I've learnt over the years making music is that all of it is subjective. I know what you mean... Hubbard's genius was the ability to make the most out of a limited instrument. Its far easier for me to use any instrument available as a sound source for the track, whereas in his case he only had one thing to work with.

Its funny, I'm a bit nervous with this remake, as I know that some members of the community love the original track for what it was in its existing state (hence this post requesting thoughts and feedback). Adaptations pale in comparison.

The worry I have is that as a producer I'm tweaking areas to suit the 'feel' of the track more, and with the added lyrics it does break the original pattern. So whilst I want to do it some justice, I'm also having to remove/edit some notation to make sure it retains a modern sound. The main hook is there though, so we shall see!

Sadly out of the studio until the coming weekend, so you guys will have to wait 4 more days for the final version.... but it sounds cool so far.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:57   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

/me would like to hear more of it
Sounds quite cool, but I have to admit that I don't know the original that well. So basically for me it's a nice tune on its own
Old 02 June 2010, 12:57   #7
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I really like it.

Never heard the original stuff so I can't comment on that aspect, but I'd definitely like to hear the final version.
Old 02 June 2010, 14:42   #8
mosfet

The Delta theme was based on [ Show youtube player ] (most blatantly from 2:00 onwards), so you'd need more than just Hubbard's permission if the legal side of things is a concern.
Old 02 June 2010, 15:50   #9
Grimbog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
The Delta theme was based on [ Show youtube player ] (most blatantly from 2:00 onwards), so you'd need more than just Hubbard's permission if the legal side of things is a concern.
Interesting stuff! Should have done my homework. From what I remember in copyright law it would be the original songwriter/composer that would hold exclusive rights, so that pretty much knocks Rob Hubbard out of the picture, as his version was an adaptation of Koyaanisqatsi. I'll compare the two notations on the weekend and see if I'm in danger of having to pay royalties to both parties. Hmm... copyright is such a bureaucratic nightmare, but I want to do this right... *sigh*.

Last edited by Grimbog; 02 June 2010 at 15:59.
Old 03 June 2010, 02:03   #10
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosfet View Post
Yep and "Master of Magic" was mined off of "Shibolet" from this album. At least his covers are as good or better than the originals.
Old 08 June 2010, 22:12   #11
Grimbog

ahh, finally got around to completing this - would appreciate any feedback guys, as the additional lyrics could either be a love or hate scenario.

Just hope you like like!

Last edited by Grimbog; 23 June 2010 at 21:51.
Old 09 June 2010, 00:23   #12
Amiga1992

Be careful about distributing this here since it legal status is still unknown...
I'll give it a listen later.
Old 09 June 2010, 01:22   #13
Grimbog

Hi Akira, of course - happy to remove it if it causes any problems. The way I currently see this, its a fan mix, and isn't being sold commercially unless permission is successful (currently in progress), so I'm mainly posting here for general feedback and opinions from the C64/Amiga community. If it helps I can upload this on to remix64 and link to that? Also happy to edit this post after, say, 2 week to remove the link?
Old 09 June 2010, 05:11   #14
Amiga1992

Not for us man, but for you !
Make sure to talk to Abbott ASAP.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:32   #15
Grimbog

Hey Akira,

Chris has been contacted, and all seems well on the permissions front. I'll upload this over to kwed etc.

Should note that the vocal is my own voice pitched up to be 'female', but ultimately I want to get a proper female singer in to give it a more natural feel.

Would really appreciate some honest thought on this... does the vocal come across okay?

Old 10 June 2010, 18:02   #16
Grimbog

Now on Kwed and remix64 respectively. Getting some nice feedback so fingers crossed. Sadly included a cheesey picture of myself on there too.