English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 05 November 2010, 17:01   #1
Bloodwych

ClassicWB scsi.device replacement for large hard disks

At the moment, ClassicWB uses the freeware v43.24 scsi.device replacement to offer large hard drive support. I don't like putting unregistered software in the packs as I think it makes the experience of using it worse. However, perhaps large hard drive support is an exception.

Do you think I should just replace the current scsi.device replacement with IDEfix and let users sort out the nag requester? It wouldn't be enabled by default, but activated by the end user like the current v43.24.

The reason I ask is I keep reading about how much faster IDEfix is in comparison to the freeware v43.24. I'd imagine it's also much faster than the OS3.9 native scsi.device replacement too isn't it?

Also, people say that IDEfix doesn't require a reboot - is that correct?

So is there is no disadvantage to just using IDEfix and letting the end user sort the issue of the nag screen out themselves over the freeware v43.24 and the native OS3.9 solutions?
Old 05 November 2010, 17:10   #2
Mad-Matt
Longplayer

Send a message via ICQ to Mad-Matt Send a message via MSN to Mad-Matt
idefix is faster then the native scsi.device. We do have SpeedyIDE blizzkick module though to sort that out. Might be interesting if the module can be applied to the latest scsi.device patches.

One thing to watchout for though if having idefix preinstalled is the idefix settings which will be diffent depending what amiga it will be uised on. A600/A1200 ide is different to A4000 for instance and needs setting in the idefix prefs.