English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 05 October 2014, 11:55   #1
Kola

Eek Mini Mig and similar clone music questions

I have just noticed people are making A500 clones that are much more powerful and much smaller. Great

As a musicien one thing I have longer from since getting me A500 in the mid 80s was Paula with 4 or more outputs.

I would use these to output each sample onto itds own channel on my mixer where I could EQ and use aux sends and such.

Is anything like this ever likely to materialise? Does anything already exist? Not to my knowledge. Closest I have come it to use multiple Amigas but its a poor workaround at best. Its far easier to just but an Akai S900 hardware rack sampler. But then that detracts from using my sacred 1200.
Old 05 October 2014, 21:13   #2
Adrian Browne
Jackie Chan

I guess the Natami was supposed to have enhanced sound capabilities.
Apparently Thomas Hirsh still works on the natami in private.
I shall wait and see.

There is also gunnars apollo board. Its an add- on for the a500/600 etc.
I don't believe sound enhancement is planned yet.
A chipset can be added to the fpga at a later date though.
Old 05 October 2014, 21:20   #3
Kola

Hi mate, thanks for info.

Just wondering, why do people spend hundreds on there A500s doing them up with CF readers and accelerators and such when the MiniMig is all that for a snip of the price?
Old 05 October 2014, 23:34   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kola View Post
Why do people spend hundreds on there A500s doing them up with CF readers and accelerators and such when the MiniMig is all that for a snip of the price?
MiniMig is more expensive and less compatible. You can pick up an A500 plus a Kipper2k 8mb IDE->CF board and a Gotek USB floppy disk emulator for about 3/4 that of a Minimig.

Less nostalgia?
Old 06 October 2014, 01:39   #5
robinsonb5

Making the DE1 version of the Minimig core output four independent audio channels would be a fairly simple hack - a rough-and-ready solution would involve adding four Delta/Sigma audio outputs to the code, and sending them to pins on the general purpose IO headers. A resistors/capacitors filter on each output and you're good to go.
(The sound quality wouldn't match that of the DE1's built-in audio chip, however.)

Without checking the schematics I can't be sure, but I should think the original Minimig's core could be hacked quite easily - again with four delta/sigmas - to send the four channels' sound outputs through one of the game ports.

Adding extra channels would be theoretically possible but more complicated - and of course would require new software.
Old 06 October 2014, 09:26   #6
Kola

Alex:- Im no expert but the Mini Mig seems to have way more than just a RAM upgrade and floppy emulator about it. The actually motherboard and such makes the need for an accelerator redundant. And it comes fitted with a scan doubler.

Robonson:- Thanks for the info. I cant do hacks like that. Not my skill set at all. And even if I could I couldn't re write a tracker to take advantage. Guess ill just stick to a few A1200's. :-/
Old 06 October 2014, 09:46   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The standard MiniMig doesn't really have a RAM upgrade, it is only 1.5Mbytes.

The Minimig 1.1 PCB has a a 68000 CPU which can be overclocked but doesn't have a cache or 68020+ instructions and so is MUCH slower than say an A500 68030 turbo card.

It does come with a scan doubler but in the UK all LCD TV's have an RGB SCART socket with scan doubler built in.

It's form factor is awsome. That for me is it's key strength

Last edited by alexh; 06 October 2014 at 10:00.