English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 31 August 2019, 14:14   #21
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zak View Post
What's so bad aboud ads, I just wonder. On Youtube, you can click them away after only five seconds and nevertheless, I grew up with TV ads all my life and I'm used to it.
You and me may haven't a problem with ads but all the others. Each time you watch a youtube video 5 seconds lifetime lost (x millions of people). Ads affect people, else the won't exists.
Quote:
I am more concerned what unexpected side effects an adblocker app has, I never trust those apps. Just data collectors and virus motherships.
You can't trust any app you haven't written by yourself. Do you have some source/prove for such ad blocker side effects?
Old 31 August 2019, 15:52   #22
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

HS - KG is alive?! Wonderful...
Old 31 August 2019, 16:05   #23
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
You can't trust any app you haven't written by yourself. Do you have some source/prove for such ad blocker side effects?
While Zak sounds like an obvious troll with this "what's so bad about ads" attitude, he does have a point with SOME extensions that went mainstream.

IIRC Ghostery or Adblock Plus were allowing some ads of companies that payed them and it was proven... erm, not hard to prove really if you can just click Setting and see options such as "Allow individual trackers" or "Share usage statistics".
In most cases you can turn those off... but does that really turn it off?

Still there are some alternatives that are really safe, like Privacy Badger instead of Ghostery and Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender combo or uBlock.
Another one of the reasons I'm using a "global" OpenWRT adblocker on my router.

And another thing, this is so easy to prove, Gargoyle has some of the most user-friendly and easy to view statistics page for all the IP's that devices want to "call", me personally discovered years ago that my shitty chineese phone Doogee was calling home way too often...
Old 31 August 2019, 18:42   #24
daxb

I didn't doubt that evil adblockers exists. I doubt that all adblockers are evil. IMO using internet without it is no fun. Same for not using NoScript.
Old 01 September 2019, 16:43   #25
Zak
Zap´em

Also: ads are your way to pay for content, and with ever more people using ad blockers, there will be more content in the future that you literally need to pay for.
In the ASMR community for example there are new apps starting that you pay a monthly fee for to watch content and people accept that just because they don't like ads.
I cannot understand that and can't afford paying 10 bucks here and there and having a total monthly 200 € bill for content that used to be free.
Old 01 September 2019, 17:39   #26
Dunny

Quote:
Also: ads are your way to pay for content, and with ever more people using ad blockers, there will be more content in the future that you literally need to pay for.
In the ASMR community for example there are new apps starting that you pay a monthly fee for to watch content and people accept that just because they don't like ads.
I cannot understand that and can't afford paying 10 bucks here and there and having a total monthly 200 € bill for content that used to be free.
That content was never intended to be free; it was paid for by ads. Adblockers have removed that revenue stream so they have to use a different one (subcriptions). This is the way that the internet's content production will have to go - ad servers have misbehaved so badly that nobody will let ads neat their machines.

And that ad money has to come from somewhere - can you afford to produce content for free on a daily basis?
Old 01 September 2019, 17:47   #27
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
That content was never intended to be free; it was paid for by ads. Adblockers have removed that revenue stream so they have to use a different one (subcriptions). This is the way that the internet's content production will have to go - ad servers have misbehaved so badly that nobody will let ads neat their machines.

And that ad money has to come from somewhere - can you afford to produce content for free on a daily basis?
I don't understand? You repeat exactly what I said? You pay content with ads. And ad blockers ruin this system. That's just exactly what I said?
Old 01 September 2019, 18:41   #28
jmmijo

Quote:
I don't understand? You repeat exactly what I said? You pay content with ads. And ad blockers ruin this system. That's just exactly what I said?
Well I say so freaking be it, I don't use the inet to view ads, and it if turns out that all the sites I use will be behind a pay wall then that is the way of things and I will not be using it for much then.

ADS have ruined the inet as far as im concerned so there.

We have two differing opinions on this and neither of us will change our views.

This is why I don't watch much in the way of TV now, too many ads
Old 02 September 2019, 16:32   #29
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Okay Zak, you have a point...

Old 02 September 2019, 18:17   #30
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

There is pr0n on inet??
Old 02 September 2019, 20:33   #31
Dunny

Quote:
Here's the part where you disagree with both subscription and ad-supported models in case you're mis-remembering what you wrote:

Quote:
You state that the content used to be free; it wasn't. You state that you can't understand subscriptions.

You can't have both.
Old 02 September 2019, 23:16   #32
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Here's the part where you disagree with both subscription and ad-supported models in case you're mis-remembering what you wrote:
You're completely wrong. I clearly wrote:
"I cannot understand that [people accept subscriptions because they don't like ads] and I can't afford paying 10 bucks [for a subscription and] for content that used to be free [to watch although with ads] [...]"

It was clearly stated and not misunderstandable when you're willing to and not nitpicking. Free means free to watch whether there are ads or not. I didn't say anything against ads.

Last edited by Zak; 02 September 2019 at 23:48.
Old 02 September 2019, 23:45   #33
Dunny

But the presence of ads implies non-free. Only ad-free is the content truly free. Feel free to disagree.
Old 02 September 2019, 23:47   #34
Zak
Zap´em

Also compare with Shoonay's post, it also says "free to watch", it's common sense to call content free that has ads.
Old 03 September 2019, 03:46   #35
jmmijo

Quote:
Also compare with Shoonay's post, it also says "free to watch", it's common sense to call content free that has ads.
Indeed it does, however I still hate ads so there

If i had to choose, I would not, I would rather do without the inet altogether.

So my choice would be to have all the advertising companies go to hell and then some
Old 03 September 2019, 10:39   #36
Dunny

Quote:
No, it's not - the ads are the price that you are prepared to pay for content. Just because there are ads does not make the content free.
Old 03 September 2019, 11:14   #37
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
So my choice would be to have all the advertising companies go to hell and then some
Lol Where did this jmmijo come from! I like him.

The only real beef I have with ads is that most sites actually incorporate a third party service - as in the content comes from off-site and is not controlled by the site owners themselves at all. Any guarantees of web safety are immediately out the window with such a setup.

I'm kind of curious how new generations will treat them. To us they're an annoyance because we know times where we didn't have to deal with them. But for young generations they grow up with them always being there. Will they be more likely to be influenced by them I wonder because to them they're "normal"?
Old 03 September 2019, 13:03   #38
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I still wonder, what ads?!
Old 03 September 2019, 17:27   #39
Zak
Zap´em

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Indeed it does, however I still hate ads so there

If i had to choose, I would not, I would rather do without the inet altogether.

I actually did try to go without internet in 2000's. Did not work very well. There is always something you need the internet for. And there weren't smartphones yet.

The best thing here in Germany is Free TV. Of course it has ads and when you want it in HD, you have to additionally pay for it, 75€ a year I think and in the near future, they will shut down standard definition via satellite. When you use an antenna (DVBT), they already did shut down SD. So pay for it plus ads or don't watch at all. That's your choice. And the price of course climbs up year by year. The system you pay with is called Freenet.

That's the true future. Pay for it plus ads and yet it's called free.
Old 03 September 2019, 20:32   #40
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Are you sure you can opt not to pay for it? I remember someone getting in trouble for not paying for 'free tv'.