Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 21 August 2019, 22:24   #1
d4rk3lf

Tolkien

Easily, my favorite writer.

We can talk about lots of things, bet let's start with this:

1) How do you feel about LOTR movies?
2) How do you feel about Hobbit movies?
3) What is your expectation about upcoming Amazon LOTR movies (that was in second age).
Old 22 August 2019, 00:34   #2
grelbfarlk

1) Not that bad. A lot of effort went into making them decent but unfortunately some of the wild deviations from the books took away from the movies. I had thought that these would probably be the only movie adaptations in my lifetime, now I'm not too sure. I hope they are redone but better.
2) Pretty horrible. Riddles in the dark and some parts of the initial Smaug scenes are alright.
3) Don't know that the Second Age is really a good idea, First Age, sure.
Old 22 August 2019, 00:53   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Don't forget to mention this one
Always regretted that there was no sequel to close the story ...
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 22 August 2019, 01:25   #4
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
There was this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Re...ng_(1980_film))

I didn't like the Bakshi Lord of the Rings, the Bakshi version of the Hobbit was pretty good for a kids movie though.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 22 August 2019 at 01:40.
Old 22 August 2019, 09:55   #5
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Yes but, even if I liked this movie, I never considered this Bass & Rankin's "Return of the King" as a sequel to Bakshi's "Lord of the Rings".
Old 22 August 2019, 10:19   #6
chip

1) I LOVE this trilogy
2) I LIKE this trilogy
3) Don't know
Old 22 August 2019, 11:58   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

1) Did like the 3 movies (they quite good follow the books). Of course these movies are not the books, but they are really good and I think they can bring people that have not read the books to read them .

2) This trilogy, in my opinion, is really bad if you know the book ! It's what I call a commercial trilogy.
Too much things that are not in the book have been added. Parts of the book have been stretched or too much modified/changed or too much cut.

3) No opinion yet. Generally speaking, series MUST stick to the book it is adapted from. Meaning that everything MUST be AS written by the author of the book. Everything, including "slower" passages. A movie has a limited time, not series. If the story needs 10 episodes, 10 episodes must be made. If it needs 70 episodes, 70 episodes must be made as it's series. So called TV "seasons" can go directly to the bin .
Old 22 August 2019, 11:58   #8
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
1) How do you feel about LOTR movies?
Ssssssssssssssslllllllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttttttttttttiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiioooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.
Old 22 August 2019, 13:50   #9
d4rk3lf

Here is mine:

1) They were so close, but they failed. I know that movies are not as books, and I don't mind skipping the Tom Bombandil parts.
What I do mind is:
- Actors
Except Saruman, they all had ZERO charisma. Gandalf the Stormcrawl, is some weak old man with good heart. He looks like Gandalf, but he had none of his authority. Remember in the books how Gandalf was good rhetoric? We can't see that in the movies. Aragorn had zero charisma. Why humiliate Gimli like that? I liked Boromir and Bilbo though, they did a great job.
- Editing
So much patetic scenes, slow motions... Gandaaaaalf... Frooodooooo.... noooooooo.... non stop crying... a tear in the eye.... ah, I am always disgusted by it. Every sentence and dialog Peter added was terrible. He raped the scenario by adding unnecessary conflict between actors. I am pretty positive Tolkien itself would be disgusted. He created so smart dialogs, and Peter manages to ruin it.
The good:
Everything that Peter was not involved was good. Weta did a great job on the visuals. First 4-5 minutes of the intro are perfect. Peter didn't had much influence on the first movie (because producers didn't gave him much freedom (because of money involved)), and that's why the first movie is best. On the second movie he had more freedom, so it's worse. For the third movie, he had even more freedom, so wee see Legolas skating on Olifant, and patetic slowmotion ending where hobits jumps happily on bed... and it goes on... and on.. and on... Ah..

2) All above multiplied by 10.
Peter finally had 100% freedom, and we see how it looks when you give large budget to a B director.

3) I agree with grelbfarlk that first age might be better. But second age also had a lot's of cool events, especially Sauron trolling Ar Farazon and Numenorians. I hope they cover that part in details.
I guess, if this turns out to be success, they will do first age after this.
However, never heard of a killing series that Amazon produces so far, and that scares me a little.
Old 22 August 2019, 14:02   #10
d4rk3lf

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]
Bakshi manages to do some parts better then Peter.
His cartoony characters had more charisma then actors in Peter movie.

However combining movie and cartoon was not a good idea. He should have made it all cartoon. Also, some of the design choices are not good. Elrond looks like roman emperor, and Aragorn looks like indian that wares roman skirt.
Old 22 August 2019, 14:07   #11
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk3lf View Post
[...] They were so close, but they failed. [...]
Everything that Peter was not involved was good. Weta did a great job on the visuals. First 4-5 minutes of the intro are perfect. Peter didn't had much influence on the first movie (because producers didn't gave him much freedom (because of money involved)), and that's why the first movie is best. On the second movie he had more freedom, so it's worse. For the third movie, he had even more freedom, so wee see Legolas skating on Olifant, and patetic slowmotion ending where hobits jumps happily on bed... and it goes on... and on.. and on... Ah.. [...]
I remember hearing that the 3 movies has been shot at once. Then, and only then, they have been released to the cinema theatre after the editing. So, if this is correct, it would means that the respect/non respect of the books has been made during the editing phase as everything was already shot.
Which would mean also, regarding your comment, that Mr P. J. didn't had too much to say for the editing of the 1st movie, right ? (It's a question, not a statement.)
Old 22 August 2019, 14:12   #12
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Which would mean also, regarding your comment, that Mr P. J. didn't had too much to say for the editing of the 1st movie, right ? (It's a question, not a statement.)
That is just my guess.
In editing he did all pathetic slow motions and everything.
I think he didn't have too much freedom when editing first movie.
If you give raw material to some other great director (Cameron, Darabond, Spielberg... etc), we would have much better movie.
Thou, not completely different, because most of the actors and dialogs was terrible... you could perhaps do something in editing... but I guess not that much.... but removing stupid dialogs and conflicts would improve it pretty much, I guess.
-------------------

Edit:
Let's elaborate a little bit.
If Peter was more involved in the intro part of the movie, I am pretty sure he would make Isildur crying for his father, he would show tear on Isildur face in slowmotion.
Elrond would scream something unimportant, and maybe even Sauron would cry a tear or two.

Last edited by d4rk3lf; 22 August 2019 at 14:18.
Old 22 August 2019, 15:27   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

1) seen them many times, still love them although I have grown a little tired of the dialogue. There is only so much doom & gloom one can take. I hear Sam crying "FRODO!" in my dreams/nightmares.

2) Saw all three movies once, will probably never see them again. I love the book too much to accept the massive alterations and hollow additions. It would have been so good as one movie that just stuck to the source material.

3) I feel ashamed to say I was not aware such a thing was upcoming. I'm slacking off apparently. I welcome new LOTR stuff, if they can tone down the dialogue a little
Old 22 August 2019, 23:42   #14
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
1) seen them many times, still love them although I have grown a little tired of the dialogue. There is only so much doom & gloom one can take. I hear Sam crying "FRODO!" in my dreams/nightmares.

2) Saw all three movies once, will probably never see them again. I love the book too much to accept the massive alterations and hollow additions. It would have been so good as one movie that just stuck to the source material.

3) I feel ashamed to say I was not aware such a thing was upcoming. I'm slacking off apparently. I welcome new LOTR stuff, if they can tone down the dialogue a little

The best part of the LOTR movies were that they inspired such gems such as:
[ Show youtube player ]
and

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 23 August 2019, 12:13   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

J.R.R. Tolkien passed away in 1973. If you reverse that number it is 3791.

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
Old 23 August 2019, 13:15   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
J.R.R. Tolkien passed away in 1973. If you reverse that number it is 3791.

"Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky, Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone, Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die, One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie. One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie."
Old 28 August 2019, 02:10   #17
grelbfarlk

During the Fellowship of the ring, I was waiting for the Barrow down scene, knowing for sure Tom Bombadil wasn't showing up. Then when Aragorn just sort of says hey, I have four big ass daggers for everyone, that I just sort of carry around all the time in the wild, I audibly groaned.

THEN when they are in the Trollshaws and when Glorfindel is supposed to show up, I'm like hmm weird casting, maybe they're doing a gender flip, and she introduces herself, I stood up in the theater and loudly started talking over the film until I yelled at the projectionist to just stop the movie. Then told everyone all about Glorfindel and how he murked a Balrog and after he ressurected in the Halls of Mandos and got a good talking to about being a Noldor kinslayer (or at least sympathizer). Then the Valar said yeah so we're sending five Wizards to Middle Earth, you should go along with them as the party needs some melee. Then about that point the ushers kicked me out of the theater, but it wasn't a total loss as my wife said that was one of her most memorable birthdays.