English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 03 February 2010, 20:55   #1
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Your most embarassing Noob/Lamer first time computer moment

I remember mine well.

Must have been about 1981-ish, and they were hawking BBC Model A's at our school to evaluate.

Our class got one sat in the corner, and i'd use any old excuse to not do my work and just annoy the demo bloke who was there to show it off.

My noob moment?

I remember this vividly, the first thing I EVER typed on a computer was "play astro wars"!

Thats right, I one touch typed that line, must have taken at least three minutes not having a clue to the layout of the QWERTY keyboard, and I was under the impression that by typing that, the computer would automatically know what in the hell Astro Wars was, and I could play it.

Needless to say I was dissapointed!
Old 03 February 2010, 21:24   #2
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
I remember this vividly, the first thing I EVER typed on a computer was "play astro wars"!
LOL...you remind me of these guys: (UNIX machine at uni, Win 3.1 times)

Code:
login: u101
Password:

Last login: 1994-10-31 at 12:48:22 on console

bash$ cd windows
cd: Directory 'windows' not found

bash$ win
bash: Invalid command 'win'

bash$ win.com
bash: Invalid command 'win.com'

bash$ format C:
bash: Invalid command 'format'

My lamest moment was VERY late, not at the beginning, on my Amiga 500.
When saving a file, a zillion times I've watched the green LED to go off, and on, and off...taking a LONG break...THEN eventually get lit again, finalizing the file-write stuff.

OK, now I should tell about my lamest moment...
Well, to protect your physical data, everyone may check on the emulator what happens when you write a file in AmigaDOS and press CTRL-AMIGA-AMIGA exactly *IN* the said break...

Well, it had something good. It required me to occupy myself with AmigaDOS disk structures and the way files are stored. Since backups are usually much too old, I could indeed restore my recent work by piecing together the blocks.

Well, that's my story.
Old 03 February 2010, 21:26   #3
mk1

Well.. the day I got my A500 (which was a Christmas eve in 1988 I think) I did my first ever floppy insertion upside down. I didn't bother reading the manual or anything like that.. Just threw the disk in the way it happened to be in my hand. Luckily nothing got broken by this act of complete ignorance.
Old 03 February 2010, 21:31   #4
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
lol
Old 03 February 2010, 22:07   #5
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

I remember my first Amiga experience very well, first disk I inserted was some kind of music demo (not from a well known group, just some PD stuff) and I was amazed how fast some text appeared (it read "Tip Memory Allocator V1.01" or smth like that), drive led was on all the time so I thought the demo was loading. And I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then, after 5 minutes or so I thought "man, that's worse than the C64 you just sold". And then I finally pressed left mouse button. Damn Tip Memory Allocator boot that didn't switch off the drive led. :P
Old 03 February 2010, 22:47   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I remember my first Amiga experience very well, first disk I inserted was some kind of music demo (not from a well known group, just some PD stuff) and I was amazed how fast some text appeared (it read "Tip Memory Allocator V1.01" or smth like that), drive led was on all the time so I thought the demo was loading. And I waited. And waited. And waited some more. Then, after 5 minutes or so I thought "man, that's worse than the C64 you just sold". And then I finally pressed left mouse button. Damn Tip Memory Allocator boot that didn't switch off the drive led. :P
My dad got caught out like that.

He took my Atari ST back to the shop, and setup my Amiga for me whilst I was at work, and he chose to put the Black Monks crack of R-Type in the drive to test it.

He pressed every key on the keyboard for about 10 minutes before he accidentally nudged the mouse and realised that was the control method for the trainer menu!
Old 03 February 2010, 22:56   #7
Mark Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
My dad got caught out like that.

He took my Atari ST back to the shop, and setup my Amiga for me whilst I was at work, and he chose to put the Black Monks crack of R-Type in the drive to test it.

He pressed every key on the keyboard for about 10 minutes before he accidentally nudged the mouse and realised that was the control method for the trainer menu!
That intro must have sent him dizzy.... up, down, up, down, up, down, up, down...
Old 03 February 2010, 23:00   #8
Mark Wright

I remember standing in WH Smiths typing a small program from a book into an Acorn Electron. This was before I got my first computer in 1985 (an Atari 800XL) so was probably 1984 or thereabouts. I spent a good 20 minutes or so tapping away at the keyboard and prepared to stand back and watch after entering the last line.

Nothing happened.

(Nobody said I needed to type RUN) ;-)
Old 03 February 2010, 23:37   #9
dirkies
Zone Friend

Roll eyes (sarcastic)

first A500 (actually also first mouse) encounter early 1987 at computer fair running Sonix...
to be able to move my pointer at the edge of the screen, and as I ran out of tablespace (and the pointer was still a few inches of the edge of the screen), I put the palm of my hand next to the table and then slid mouse further over my hand until the pointer was at the edge, as I had no idea how to solve this incredible pointer issue using a small table...!
After about 5 minutes I finally discovered your pointer would not move on the screen if you picked up and moved the mouse in free air...

OMG, still embarassed about this 23 years later!
Old 04 February 2010, 00:09   #10
s2325
Zone Friend

- typing "dir" and "copy" commands in Amiga CLI shell
- on Amstrad typing "cat" command and I never understand why I must call this furry animal to see what is on disk
Old 04 February 2010, 04:30   #11
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

>play astro wars

Heheheh, Astro Wars rules! My emulator runs the coin-op version of it. :-)
Old 04 February 2010, 05:18   #12
ancalimon
Supernormal

I pressed a key (it turned out to be the pause key) while playing Emily Hughes Soccer on one of my relative's Commodore64 and the game froze. I panicked thinking I broke the computer and left it and went back to the living room spending hours of nightmares. A month later we went there again and I was relieved when I saw the Commodore64 working again. When parents called us to dinner, he pressed the "pause" key and I felt embarrassed.
Old 04 February 2010, 09:44   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

mine wasn't that bad, but it was stupid anyway. When I was little my uncle had a nice little MSX with some games I really liked on it, so I was over there playing them all the time.

One day for some stupid reason I was fiddling with the disc for no apparent reason, rotating the metal bit and opening/closing the shutter. Of course when I tried to play, the disc was broken. Only like 15 years later did I play the games again, in BlueMSX.
Old 04 February 2010, 10:00   #14
seuden
uber cool demi god

My first pc, for some reason I decided to switch the PSU unit from 240 to 110v. Obviously it blew the friggin thing and I had to replace it, lol.
Old 04 February 2010, 10:10   #15
NOB
Zone Friend

Must have been in the mid of the 80th.Got mine c 64 for two days playing around with some Basic
commands.A class friend told me that his older brother has a disk-monitor for the c64. With
this monitor he can hack the disk and see hidden massages.I told him my c64 is connected
to a TV.And i would not buy an expensive new monitor just to see hidden messages.

Last edited by NOB; 04 February 2010 at 10:51.
Old 04 February 2010, 10:58   #16
deicidal
Registered Insane

Mine was last month. Basically bought a 1200 off ebay as id suddenly gone all nostalgic after a load of my old ami stuff had come out of the attic at my parents as they are moving. Loaded up a few bits and pieces, then decided to load up devpac and spent a while trying to figure how to load a file up, turned out the mouse that it had come with had a faulty right button duh!
Old 04 February 2010, 11:12   #17
kamelito
Zone Friend

It was in 81, my friend parent bought a ZX 81 in kit and we were typing aprogram from. Book. It was long and painfull knowing the keyboard. At the end we weren't able to run it we checked it all and it was correct but still the damn same interrogation mark at the end of the code. It had only one kbyte and we noticed that we use space chars for clarity but it eated memory so we weren't able to finish the last line due to that.
Kml
Old 04 February 2010, 11:18   #18
kamelito
Zone Friend

One more in 83 we bought an Oric 1 because of our experience with the ZX it was in color at the shop and at home it was black and white we were very disapponted until my brother that was reading the Manual told me to type PAPER 0 and INK 3 and then we were saying wow, it was a very emotional moment.
Kml

ps we didn't knew what to say to the vendor about it's question about the 16k or 48k version
Old 04 February 2010, 11:27   #19
Leffmann

I must have been 10-11 or so, and I connected my C64 power connector to the video port in the back in a daze of exaltation, after having finally gotten it back from a several weeks long stay at the repair shop. Off the to the shop it went again.
Old 04 February 2010, 11:59   #20
DH
Global Moderator

The only one I can ever remember was with a Speccy 16k with the rubber keys, I wrote a program using the key combinations to gain the correct basic command, but what I had done was with an '=' & '>' instead of the '=>' combination. It took me days to find out what I had done wrong as I checked every line, all 10 million of them x20 too