English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 17 April 2019, 12:43   #141
jizmo
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Dude, you have no idea. They can get really nasty - like groups of people ganging up on someone, reporting them to their employers for purely imagined infractions etc. Stuff that impacts people's lives away from t'internet.
In the retro groups? At least our smaller local groups have been really civil and supportive so far.

But, I'll have to take your word for it as I don't usually spend much time in them, and read only a few topics if I get a notification of my friend posting something there.
Old 17 April 2019, 23:23   #142
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I wasn’t certain if this was true, but I had a feeling that my forum use was dropping due to Facebook and Twitter.
Well, I'm not so sure either. Anyway, Facebook grew big 2007/8, so it should be easy for superadmins to see a dip around this time followed by a slow, steady drop to the lowest numbers ever.

My prediction is that that trend will not be true. I think links to EAB on FB etc has brought many who didn't know about to EAB and join?

Quote:
For an unrelated reason, last week I left FB and Twitter. Since then my forum time has increased. The forum experience is far superior to social media! Easier to follow more in depth discussions, less spam and easier to avoid irrelevant threads ( like this one ).

So stop using those toxic social media sites and come back to the forums
FB is OK I think? But Twitter etc sort of invites toxicity like some newspapers and Youtube, cos each post provides an open comment wall where anyone of 100,000+ users can post. Comment quality will be let's say mixed

And I don't think you don't have to quit Social Media, just manage it? It was exciting 2014-2016, but now most users have lots of friends and joined many groups so we either unfollow some, or quit (but I think that's an overreaction)

Also Social Media is not a phenomenon like back when, it's part of everyday life now. Most things have been said, and people post when there's something special. We don't get excited over a share because we've seen similar shares before.

So I think we've adopted a rhythm of 'how important is this to me' to be able to filter it all out.

One negative side of websites and social media is the distraction factor, it's pretty much constructed to be distracting. On a forum, you search out and select (manage) what you want to read. So forums are much better for general discussion than social media.

I'm projecting from a person count of 1 (me!) but I think some of these thoughts could be true for others as well.
Old 18 April 2019, 13:06   #143
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
Well, I'm not so sure either. Anyway, Facebook grew big 2007/8, so it should be easy for superadmins to see a dip around this time followed by a slow, steady drop to the lowest numbers ever.

My prediction is that that trend will not be true. I think links to EAB on FB etc has brought many who didn't know about to EAB and join?

FB is OK I think? But Twitter etc sort of invites toxicity like some newspapers and Youtube, cos each post provides an open comment wall where anyone of 100,000+ users can post. Comment quality will be let's say mixed

And I don't think you don't have to quit Social Media, just manage it? It was exciting 2014-2016, but now most users have lots of friends and joined many groups so we either unfollow some, or quit (but I think that's an overreaction)

Also Social Media is not a phenomenon like back when, it's part of everyday life now. Most things have been said, and people post when there's something special. We don't get excited over a share because we've seen similar shares before.

So I think we've adopted a rhythm of 'how important is this to me' to be able to filter it all out.

One negative side of websites and social media is the distraction factor, it's pretty much constructed to be distracting. On a forum, you search out and select (manage) what you want to read. So forums are much better for general discussion than social media.

I'm projecting from a person count of 1 (me!) but I think some of these thoughts could be true for others as well.
+1 agree with all this. I have tried being part of several Amiga FB groups and its just the same. Don't know if its an age thing, but forums so much easier to view, find information etc
Old 18 April 2019, 15:25   #144
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

I think its less a matter of the platform and more a matter of the popularity.

If you find a small facebook group community for example you don't get so much aggression and people posting stupid comments.

I enjoyed twitter for a while but i kept following more and more people who I was interested in and now my twitter feed is pretty much impossible to keep up with. I find the same problem with many discord channels. I only really have one that I keep on top of because a lot of them are far too busy.
Old 18 April 2019, 19:11   #145
Dunny

I kinda have to use various social media accounts for work. Twitter is probably my favourite, but for the bloody retweets. I'm interested in what people have to say, not what people they're interested in have to say.
Old 18 April 2019, 21:05   #146
DofD

I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying here. I have accounts on the major social media platforms, but I mainly use FB as a method to keep in touch with family and friends. On Twitter my feed (though small comparatively) I don't have the time to keep up with the stream of posts. Instagram I mainly use to post pictures of my Amiga projects and family stuff. I just can't figure how people have enough time to post as much as they do. I guess I am just too busy interacting with the real world to keep up with the online world. My biggest beef with modern social media is how it negatively impacts (IMO) one's perceived social status and self image with how many likes one gets, how many followers one has, etc.

I prefer forums for interacting with groups with how they are organized and set up.

Over the past 10 years or so all the various forums I've belonged to have undergone big drops in users and activity. I think in part this is due to the popularity of other platforms and them being the "new thing". Then as years go by, people's interests and focuses change.
Old 15 May 2019, 13:33   #147
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

deepl.com translation (original text in attachment)

Quote:

WhatsApp victim of a major security breach

MOBILE Facebook's messaging service has closed a loophole that allows you to spy on smartphones.

One more tile for Facebook! Her subsidiary WhatsApp admitted yesterday that she had been infected by spyware. The security breach, unveiled by the Financial Times, allowed hackers to insert malicious software into phones by contacting users via an audio call. Potentially, the attackers had access to the content of the infected smartphones (photos, contacts, messages...) and were able to listen to or visualize the environment of the owners of these devices without their knowledge.

The "Financial Times" states that this program was developed by the NSO Group, a company well known to intelligence services around the world. Indeed, this Israeli firm sells surveillance software to several states, from the Middle East to Central America, who would use it to spy on activists and journalists. NSO responded by stating that its technology was "commercialized through licensing to governments, with the sole objective of combating crime and terrorism".

WhatsApp discovered the computer attack, which targets both Android and iOS devices, at the beginning of May and then found a cure. A spokesperson called on users to download the latest version of the app and regularly update their phone's operating system. -ATS/MAN

Image caption: The application has no less than 1.5 billion users. -KEY

Insert : Twitter apologizes after a dumpling
The microblogging service revealed a bug that affected users of its iOS app. He admitted that he had "inadvertently" collected and shared location data with one of his "trusted partners during an advertising process". Twitter pointed out that the bug only affected people with a second Twitter account on their smartphone and that the advertiser in question received inaccurate location data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FailleWhatsApp.gif
Views:	53
Size:	698.7 KB
ID:	63079  
Old 15 May 2019, 15:16   #148
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Twitter apologizes after a dumpling
That is all.
Old 15 May 2019, 15:28   #149
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
"boulette" would have better been translated as "blunder". I guess Twitter is not yet diversifying in Asian food.
Old 15 May 2019, 15:35   #150
stevelord

Quote:
Originally Posted by jizmo View Post
I find that the conversation can sometimes turn somewhat toxic in the forums, which is something that rarely happens in social media retro groups.

On the other hand I love the way the old threads are available to be searched and commented in forums some 15 years after they were originally created and people will still pick them up like nothing

Clearly this man has never been on a ZX Spectrum Vega FB group!
Old 15 May 2019, 21:23   #151
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilalurl View Post
"boulette" would have better been translated as "blunder". I guess Twitter is not yet diversifying in Asian food.
I don't check such Web translation but you are right .

PS: Instead of Asian one, I would rather go for Ikea's Swedish meatballs .
Old 23 May 2019, 04:56   #152
ScottJ85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Dude, you have no idea. They can get really nasty - like groups of people ganging up on someone, reporting them to their employers for purely imagined infractions etc. Stuff that impacts people's lives away from t'internet.

I've found most of the retro communities on FB are really chill and welcoming, and anyone trying to turn the discussion toxic gets shut down pretty quickly. I wouldn't have found out about my own local Amiga hobbyist group had it not been for social media.

Of course, the rest of social media is a different story. It's a godforsaken wasteland that we'd all be much better off without.
Old 24 May 2019, 10:05   #153
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

This time it's an article about Goolge
For the one interested, you can consider protonmail.com

deepl.com translation (original in attachment)

Quote:

Google uses Gmail to track your online purchases

INTERNET The American company keeps a history of purchases. Unknown to users, it is difficult to remove.

In a recent article published in the "New York Times", Sundar Pichai, head of Google, had stated that "privacy can no longer be a luxury". Behind the scenes, however, the firm continues to collect valuable information about the users of its services. CNBC highlights this by presenting a suspicious discovery: by tracking order confirmation emails received by users in their Gmail inbox, Google records a list of online purchases made in recent years.

This history, unknown to most Internet users, is visible on a page called "Purchases" at myaccount.google.com/purchases.

For each purchase, Google details the merchant, the date of the order, its identification number, a summary and the price. "Only you can see your purchases," explains the company, which assures that it does not use this list for advertising targeting purposes. They add that the "Purchasing" page exists to "help you easily see and keep track of your purchases, reservations and subscriptions in one place". Except that this service is not highlighted in the users' account information.

Another problem is that these data are difficult to delete. There is no button to delete the complete history at once. Purchases must be deleted one by one. And this also requires you to put the associated email containing the invoice or purchase confirmation in Gmail in the recycle bin. -MICHEL ANNESSE

image caption: Google's boss, Sundar Pichai, 46. -AP
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AchatsTraceParGMail.gif
Views:	36
Size:	618.7 KB
ID:	63232  
Old 14 June 2019, 11:27   #154
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

deepl.com translation [original attached]

Quote:
Users spied on by Snapchat employees

MOBILE An internal tool reserved for legal requests has been diverted to satisfy the curiosity of the app's employees.

The ephemeral nature of Snapchat does not necessarily ensure the confidentiality of its data. A Motherboard site investigation revealed that employees of the email app abused their position to spy on users. They used illegitimate internal tools set up by Snap, Snapchat's parent company.
Motherboard cites in particular the SnapLion program, which collects information on users in the event of a legal request. This tool would have been diverted from its primary function and made accessible to a wide circle of operators. Employees would have been able to access location data, photos and videos that users can save using the Memories feature, as well as their personal information such as email address or phone number.
"Protecting privacy is paramount at Snapchat. We keep little data and we have strong rules and controls to limit internal access to this data," the firm reacted. It adds that "unauthorised access constitutes a clear violation of the company's standards and, if detected, results in the immediate termination of the contract".
This is not the first time that employees have abused their privileged access to user data. Last year, a Facebook employee was fired for tracking women online. -MAN

Picture caption: Evan Spiegel, 28 years old, co-founder and boss of the ghost app. -AF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Snapchat.gif
Views:	35
Size:	535.0 KB
ID:	63462  
Old 28 August 2019, 10:47   #155
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

There was a lot of news about the GAFAs this summer but I didn't have time to forward it here. Issues with Kids' instant messaging applications; penality for FB; respect of privacy; etc.

On the other hand, this information from yesterday caught differently my attention. Not directly related to social networks but to the protection of privacy/personal data - which is a big concern indeed.

To meditate...

Quote:
20min.ch - 27.08.2019 (translated with deepl.com)
Austria is a cash addict and is resisting

Paying with cash could become a constitutional right. Even if the ECB has the final say.

"Without cash, we become totally vulnerable. A totalitarian state would have unlimited power over us," reads the menu of a Viennese restaurant. The owner sees cash money as an essential condition of his freedom.

Like him, many Austrians are very attached to the protection of their personal data. "If I shop and people record exactly how much alcohol I buy by card, it is an interference with my privacy," says a professor at the University of Vienna.

Austria is thus reversing the trend of dematerialised payments: 67% of the total value of purchases in points of sale in 2016 was made in cash, compared to only 27% in the Netherlands, according to a study by the European Central Bank (ECB).

"Being able to use cash is a basic condition for an autonomous existence," said former Conservative Chancellor Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP), campaigning for his re-election. The far-right party FPÖ was the first to propose that the right to pay in cash be enshrined in the Constitution. But according to experts, the measure would be symbolic because it is the ECB that has the final say on monetary policy in the euro zone.

[insert : Anonymous ATM
Brink's has just installed a ATM affiliated to no bank in Locmaria-Plouzané (5000 inhabitants), near Brest, a first in France. The municipality pays 1500 euros per week and provides the premises. The price to pay to avoid travelling the 6 km to the nearest ATM, from the departure of a local bank. Brink's told the "Parisian" that it aims in the long term to install 1000 to 2000 ATMs.]

[photo caption : Many restaurants do not accept credit cards.]
original link: https://www.20min.ch/ro/economie/news/story/16117177
Old 28 August 2019, 14:32   #156
Glen M

I use EAB daily along with Lemon Amiga and 2 facebook Amiga groups (along with various others). I prefer the forums as discussions tend to get lost on FB. There is also a lot more aggression on FB and most of the time I cannot be arsed with that. I think people tend to take their time over a forum post whereas on facebook it type first think later.
Old 07 September 2019, 17:59   #157
apocalypse2012

I’m a Facebook user

I have a slightly different view. Facebook was my first step down the bunny trail that lead here when I started getting back into the Amiga scene. I remember when the Amiga scene was all BBS, F2F meetups.
The cool part about the scene today is that the Amiga can have a place on a platform like Facebook even if it is a shitshow sometimes. Especially if it is. Here’s what I mean. FB is big. Social media is bigger. It’s too big. Nobody can keep it together and keep it civil. The moment you try, it fragments. People start their own groups so they can be as bullish as they want to the folks who don’t care. It’s fine, because it doesn’t matter. It’s a funnel.
If you understand the medium, you can use it to generate new users to come here, where things can be organized, unified and valuable. You should be getting new traffic from Facebook, not losing traffic to it.
Create a FB group for this forum. Think of it as a lobby or landing page. Write posts about great threads happening here. Then crosspost them. Then expend to Twitter and find the best hashtags to post to, like #ThrowBackThursday. Most of all, don’t worry about trolls and negativity.
You control this space. You can kick the a-holes out here and in the process make this the place to be. Social Media is just a way to get that message to a wider group.