English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.FS-UAE

Old 08 June 2019, 00:50   #1
Sgt Jack V

Lightbulb Good suggestion: Separate controller configurations

First, should this go here? If this is the wrong forum, please move it to the appropriate one.

Anyways, let's say I wanted to play Turrican in FS-UAE. I use a PS4 controller, a Bluetooth dongle and DS4Windows. I set the controller mapping to this:

Once I'm done with Turrican, I go to play Zool (the CD32 version) next. However, the configuration I used for Turrican is not ideal for Zool. Using reference images, I have to change it to this:

While it seems simple on paper, it's a bit tedious in practice. So I propose a more efficient solution: A menu, be it drop-down or an inner window, containing separate configurations. Below is a mockup of what I mean:

Honestly, I think this would work very well.
Old 08 June 2019, 13:42   #2
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Yes, I understand what you want to do, but no, I don't intend to solve it like this!

The point of that configuration dialog is to let FS-UAE/Launcher know how the physical layout of your device is, and only that. So that should never change.

Instead, if I want to create a function where you can add game or platform-specific configurations (like you want to do here), there would be a separate configuration dialog where you map the logical buttons (e.g. "south_button") to emulation button (e.g. "fire" or "blue", etc).

The advantage of doing it this way is that - say that you want to change to an 8Bitdo controller - the game-specific changes would still remain the same, even if you have created dozens or hundreds of different configurations. The only thing you would need to do is to use the (currently existing) mapping tool to let FS-UAE/Launcher know the button numbers of the Xbox Controller. And actually, you would probably not need to do even that, since the Launcher already comes with a layout mapping for many popular controller