Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 10 December 2016, 07:17   #121
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
it's terrible. Doesn't even scroll.
The scroll is still desactivated But good to know that Augusto has implemented now the AI

EDIT : i watch the video, the game is fast Now let's see what happens next with music and sfx added
Old 10 December 2016, 09:23   #122
Steril707
Tigerskunk!

I think people here are a little bit too negative about this (probably dlfrsilver got some people alienated here with his pompous claims about the CPC ).

Does it look like the Arcade or even the SNES version? No. Off course it doesn't.

But, I think it looks really really impressive for an 8-bit version of SF2. And the speed is good as well.

Hopefully we will get some further updates...
Old 10 December 2016, 09:31   #123
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
I think people here are a little bit too negative about this (probably dlfrsilver got some people alienated here with his pompous claims about the CPC ).

Does it look like the Arcade or even the SNES version? No. Off course it doesn't.

But, I think it looks really really impressive for an 8-bit version of SF2. And the speed is good as well.

Hopefully we will get some further updates...
Street Fighter 1 on CPC is a speccy port, and is goddamn slow.

What i see here is that even the Amiga version is slower than that, and the playability, from what i saw in the video seems very good and responsive
Old 11 December 2016, 13:18   #124
ZEUSDAZ

Well considering the actual arcade version was slow as a snail compared to the arcade version of SF1, this should be right up the cpc's alley, but I have to ask,...why now?! It's a fighting game that's now 25yrs old which has BADLY aged especially when so many other fighting games have come along since then and so many to choose from.
I personally would like to have seen you do a better SF1 on Amiga as opposed to the crud Tiertex sold us SF1 fans.
Old 11 December 2016, 18:21   #125
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEUSDAZ View Post
Well considering the actual arcade version was slow as a snail compared to the arcade version of SF1, this should be right up the cpc's alley, but I have to ask,...why now?! It's a fighting game that's now 25yrs old which has BADLY aged especially when so many other fighting games have come along since then and so many to choose from.
I personally would like to have seen you do a better SF1 on Amiga as opposed to the crud Tiertex sold us SF1 fans.
I have SF1 arcade sprites and gfx assets on my hard drive. The problem is always the same : you need a coder to make all this working.....
Old 11 December 2016, 22:57   #126
idrougge

Making Street Fighter 2 for the CPC is akin to porting Doom to the Amiga. The only point is proving that it can be done; you won't wind up with a good game.
Old 12 December 2016, 01:15   #127
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
Making Street Fighter 2 for the CPC is akin to porting Doom to the Amiga. The only point is proving that it can be done; you won't wind up with a good game.
I don't see why ? The CPC is more than capable in the right hands. If you base your opinion about the quick'n'make'n'freebucks softwares made back in the day, you're basically wrong.

I'm sure Augusto will make it right And he will succeed because the CPC is really great and so underated
Old 12 December 2016, 18:11   #128
Akira

Are we even watching reality from the same dimension? Seems like not.
Old 22 December 2016, 14:41   #129
hansel75
Walk Off? Boolander!

Just out of curiosity, since the cpc lacks hardware sprites, how much of a hit to the cpu does software sprites take on the cpc?
Will there be enough cpu grunt left to achieve smooth scrolling plus music and sfx in this SF2 Port?, on top of the 2 large software sprites, background and AI routines already in place.
The Game speed is sluggish already, I can only imagine it running even slower once more features are implemented.
But maybe they might pull off a miracle and surprise us all!
Old 05 April 2017, 16:12   #130
AugustoRuiz

Hello!

I'm Augusto, the developer. Thanks for the feedback.

The software sprites can take a while to blit. For instance, a Ryu sprite of 20x69 pixels is 690 bytes long (2 pixels per byte in mode 0). Each byte is read, flipped using a table if the sprite is flipped (sprites are stored looking right), masked against the background, and written to video RAM. I'm not a great z80 programmer, so my routines can be improved a lot.

Also, I would like to say that the CPC is a VERY limited machine. The z80 performs slower than in ZX and MSX, and you need to move a lot more data to display anything on screen than on both of them (but hey, no colour clash!). Comparing any 8 bit machine to any 16 bit machine is just a loss of time. Those are two different leagues.

And to be honest, to call sluggish what is shown in the video... (for a CPC!)

Last edited by AugustoRuiz; 05 April 2017 at 16:22.

Old 05 April 2017, 16:57   #131
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Also, I would like to say that the CPC is a VERY limited machine.
That's the point. Why wasting time in porting an Arcade classic when the machine isn't capable to handle it techically? The playability goes againt zero in that case. Pinball Dreams on the other hand is something the CPC can handle as it seems.
Old 05 April 2017, 17:37   #132
AugustoRuiz

Well... We've shown some playable demos at a couple retro parties and the feedback has been quite good. People was enyoing it so much I was asked to make a Joystick version to avoid keyboard damage...

Anyway, given the effort that must be done, I guess that's a question that might apply to all retro homebrew. Why do we do it and we don't invest out efforts in making profit creating some crapware for PC, iOS or Android?

There's a beauty in the challenge of showing what these little machines can do, in choosing which corners to cut in order to keep the essence as much as possible.

Old 05 April 2017, 17:44   #133
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustoRuiz View Post
Hello!

I'm Augusto, the developer. Thanks for the feedback.

The software sprites can take a while to blit. For instance, a Ryu sprite of 20x69 pixels is 690 bytes long (2 pixels per byte in mode 0). Each byte is read, flipped using a table if the sprite is flipped (sprites are stored looking right), masked against the background, and written to video RAM. I'm not a great z80 programmer, so my routines can be improved a lot.
It would be interesting so see by how much. I've been trying for a while now to find out how fast the Z80 in the CPC can transfer data, but I've not managed to find a clear source on this. Do you have any idea?

Because that will probably tell us quite a bit about the expected speed once optimised (as software sprites & bobs alike are almost always limited by memory transfer speed mostly).

Quote:
Also, I would like to say that the CPC is a VERY limited machine. The z80 performs slower than in ZX and MSX, and you need to move a lot more data to display anything on screen than on both of them (but hey, no colour clash!). Comparing any 8 bit machine to any 16 bit machine is just a loss of time. Those are two different leagues.

And to be honest, to call sluggish what is shown in the video... (for a CPC!)
I'm actually impressed. It looks quite playable already. Please don't get disheartened by comments on this forum.

It might help you understand the somewhat hostile attitude towards the CPC here if you know that some people on these boards have been making all kinds of claims about just how much the Amstrad CPC can do (which usually turn out to be huge overstatements), which has made a lot of the members here rather negative and somewhat defensive.

So keep up the good work and see where you get
Old 05 April 2017, 18:12   #134
AugustoRuiz

I've always found these comparisons quite futile. Everybody tends to think the one they owned was the best one... There was no "best-system", as each one had their strengths and weaknesses. I'd rather enjoy all of them. For example, MSX2 was a beast but had such a tiny catalog of games that actually used it properly...

But the one I wanted back then was the Amiga 500 one lucky friend of mine had (and I had a CPC and a VGA, 1Mb RAM, 40Mb HDD 80286 back then...). Although my PC could run Monkey Island 1 and 2 quite well!

Old 05 April 2017, 22:27   #135
Cpt. Hindsight

I would actually be more pleased if you took all your efforts to create a new game for the CPC instead of creating a game for it that has to be worse than the arcade original due to the limitations of the Amstrad.

I don't want to be harsh at all, I just don't see the point (just as in some recent C64 remakes like Commando or Donkey Kong) in it. Is it just a feasibility study?
Old 06 April 2017, 01:57   #136
hitchhikr

Quote:
Is it just a feasibility study?
Consider that as a sport.
Old 06 April 2017, 02:53   #137
Tsak

This port looks absolutely stunning! Definitely the best and smoothest beat 'em'up I've seen for Amstrad and one of the most playable (as it seems) for any 8bit system! This is enough justification to go along with this port imho!

Some case studies for comparisons:

Inclusive video list of Amstrad beat em up games: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...WdzjoRhmyxIrxG

A very cool looking beat em up for Amstrad (not included in the list above):
[ Show youtube player ]

Street fighter II for NES:
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Hindsight View Post
I would actually be more pleased if you took all your efforts to create a new game for the CPC instead of creating a game for it that has to be worse than the arcade original due to the limitations of the Amstrad.

I don't want to be harsh at all, I just don't see the point (just as in some recent C64 remakes like Commando or Donkey Kong) in it. Is it just a feasibility study?
Well, that would be also the case with most arcade ports to 8 or 16 bit computers or consoles or any port from a more powerful system to an inferior one (Amiga port projects included -of course-). So, should developers stop making or try to make such ports? I don't think I agree here...

There are some good points to make a port from a developer's perspective:

1) It's good practice
2) It's a proven concept, thus safer to pursue
3) It requires less work and efort than making something equally complex from scratch (especially when it comes to assets, maps and the game design in general which is a huge part of making a new game).
4) It's all-mighty popular within the retro community. There's never a shortage of people interested in these projects.
5) Taking on the challenge to push retro machines to their limits is a way for moving forward. It's both beneficial to the developers AND the community itself.

Having said the above I also prefer original concepts over ports. But having both worlds is much preffered. Plus there's really no arguing against a port that's as well made as this one! So, thumbs up from me (and good luck)!
Old 06 April 2017, 05:46   #138
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:

Well by using an instantly recognisable games assets for your own engine it gives the viewer a better idea of just how well the CPC can handle a commercial quality arcade style VS fighter. It may still need some work, but when compared to some of the official SFII conversions which were made for the Amiga by professional developers it really is quite impressive what a passionate amateur has achieved on a CPC. So I suppose a "feasibility study" is a perfectly valid reason for producing this. Learning to code for the CPC is another one. Do you really want your programming progress to be hindered by waiting for the content you need to be produced by the other members of your team?

And personally I don't see any reason why this CPC SFII engine could not be used for an Amstrad original beat-em-up game once it has been sufficiently polished. It would be a lot easier to find dedicated graphics and sound designers for an original game once you've got a fully functional engine I imagine.
Old 07 April 2017, 22:46   #139
AugustoRuiz

Quote:
I would actually be more pleased if you took all your efforts to create a new game for the CPC instead of creating a game for it that has to be worse than the arcade original...
Glad I don't have to please you.

Old 08 April 2017, 08:21   #140
tomcat666
Retro Freak

Quote:

Why are you even commenting here? Even on the amiga most arcade ports didn't come near the quality of the arcade and I don't think there are many that matched it... so your comment is really out of place and borders on trolling.

Why do we do anything on the old 8 bits (or 16 bits) ? Its a challenge, we love those machines and we love trying to squeeze out as much as possible. Idid Commando (which you mention) and Ghosts'n Goblins because I love the commodore and I loved both games on it but I wanted to see if we can squeeze out that extra something and try to make them really good 8 bit ports. It is not even close to what the arcade machine is, but that is NOT the point, the point is that they are playable and look great on hardware that is miles below what the arcade was.

And I think Augusto is doing the same with his SF2 CPC port... it looks great in its own right and people (not just CPC fans) will love it, I am sure of it!