English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 14 September 2015, 22:56   #1
EreWeGo

Super Slam Dunk Touchdown - Looks like some retro fun!

Anyone tried this game yet? Might just have to pick this one up from the looks of it:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...snr=1_7_15__13

Old 14 September 2015, 23:31   #2
TCD

I have it, but haven't tried it yet. Downloading it now and will report back tomorrow
Old 15 September 2015, 04:17   #3
EreWeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I have it, but haven't tried it yet. Downloading it now and will report back tomorrow
Cool, thanks TCD, will be curious to hear what it's like.
Old 15 September 2015, 08:20   #4
TCD

Okay, after one quarter of whatever it is I can say that it's well made and quite fun to play I would really like to see a manual explaining which kind of goal (there's a football goal, an American football fieldgoal and a basketball... basket) gives how many points and if it depends on the kind of ball you use (there are a lot of different kinds and they seem to be randomly put on the kickoff). It's quite fast paced and the controls feel responsive and intuitive enough to keep up with it.

Not sure if it's worth 15 bucks as it is, but it's a solid 'mash all team field sports together' game with proper pixel/chiptune vibe
Old 16 September 2015, 01:26   #5
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Okay, after one quarter of whatever it is I can say that it's well made and quite fun to play I would really like to see a manual explaining which kind of goal (there's a football goal, an American football fieldgoal and a basketball... basket) gives how many points and if it depends on the kind of ball you use (there are a lot of different kinds and they seem to be randomly put on the kickoff). It's quite fast paced and the controls feel responsive and intuitive enough to keep up with it.

Not sure if it's worth 15 bucks as it is, but it's a solid 'mash all team field sports together' game with proper pixel/chiptune vibe
Just in case you didnt know

American Football Field Goal = 3 points
Basketball = 2 points
Old 16 September 2015, 07:05   #6
TCD

I did know that, but the game really has an interesting/weird scoring system I will have to play it again to check about the theory about different scores when using different balls, but I'm sure that I (and the CPU opponent) got 5 or 6 points when scoring a normal football/soccer goal.
Old 16 September 2015, 07:46   #7
EreWeGo

Thanks TCD, appreciate your impressions. Yeah, the price seems a "little" steep, so may wait until the inevitable sale. Cheers mate!
Old 16 September 2015, 19:58   #8
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EreWeGo View Post
Thanks TCD, appreciate your impressions. Yeah, the price seems a "little" steep, so may wait until the inevitable sale. Cheers mate!
Yes indeed, I bet it will not take long for a sale either
Old 21 March 2016, 17:13   #9
planetidiot

Quote:
Anyone tried this game yet? Might just have to pick this one up from the looks of it:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/38...snr=1_7_15__13

Howdy! Dev here, and long time Amiga fan. I just stumbled upon this discussion and thought I might give out a Steam Key if anyone here is interested in playing the game. It is best with 4-6 people locally, but you can play 1-3 players co-op and I'm working on a Season Mode for 1-3 players as a free add-on. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game!
Old 21 March 2016, 21:29   #10
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by planetidiot View Post
Howdy! Dev here, and long time Amiga fan. I just stumbled upon this discussion and thought I might give out a Steam Key if anyone here is interested in playing the game. It is best with 4-6 people locally, but you can play 1-3 players co-op and I'm working on a Season Mode for 1-3 players as a free add-on. I'm happy to answer any questions about the game!
Nice and thanks for the free key offer

Since I'm a game collector there is no need for sending me any free keys
Old 21 March 2016, 23:40   #11
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Looks like fun! But needs more head removal and electric shock therapy.
Old 22 March 2016, 04:05   #12
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Online coop would be a blast, but the price needs to go down.
Old 22 March 2016, 20:00   #13
planetidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
Online coop would be a blast, but the price needs to go down.
Unfortunately, I can't add online because I don't have any money, and I can't lower the price, also because I don't have any money. Steam keeps a third of what I make, so I only get $10 a copy before taxes. The project has yet to break even.

With a pile of luck I might find some success on Xbox One, as it's more of a console game than a PC game, and I can revisit online features at that point.
Old 25 March 2016, 18:06   #14
Shoonay
Global Caturator

... and you don't have any money cause the price is too high. Why do you think mobile games are million dollar businesses these days?

Read about the psychology of selling, and the paradox of earning more by lowering the price or changing the price to x.99 if you want to earn more. Setting the price in the range of discounted AAA games is not a good practice.
Old 25 March 2016, 20:12   #15
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I second Shoonay, if priced differently, you might actually make more money and get more people playing your game. (seems all time high is 4 atm according to steamcharts )

Add steam cards as another way to earn some extra money. (there are some folks looking to level their steam level over 200, like jimmijo )

Good luck with further development...
Old 01 April 2016, 01:44   #16
planetidiot

I'd love to add steam cards, I just need funds to pay an artist and time to put it together.

As for the price, I don't agree with the downward trend of pricing. It's not sustainable. If people feel the game costs too much, I'd rather add more content to the game and give people more value for the price. I mean, it's only $15 (US). That would barely cover your concessions at a movie theater -- and the game is a lot more fun than a bucket of popcorn and a soda

But then again, I'm a game developer and not much of a business guy. I'll try putting it on sale next week and see what happens.
Old 11 April 2016, 06:07   #17
EreWeGo

Quote:
I'd love to add steam cards, I just need funds to pay an artist and time to put it together.

As for the price, I don't agree with the downward trend of pricing. It's not sustainable. If people feel the game costs too much, I'd rather add more content to the game and give people more value for the price. I mean, it's only $15 (US). That would barely cover your concessions at a movie theater -- and the game is a lot more fun than a bucket of popcorn and a soda

But then again, I'm a game developer and not much of a business guy. I'll try putting it on sale next week and see what happens.
Thanks Planetidiot. You're of course entitled to price the game however you want, just pointing out in comparison to many "indie" games, especially on Steam, the initial price was possibly a little high to entice potantial buyers.

I decided to go ahead and get it anyway on the latest sale, cost around NZ$15, but have to say it is a hell of a lot of fun, especially couch co-op. Definitely needs to be played with controllers for full enjoyment, and we enjoyed the "Challenge Mode", although it didn't take long to complete. A Season mode, customised teams etc will be a great addition, so looking forward to that too!

Now, in line with the NES/SNES/Neo-Geo feel of the game, will wrestlers be added to the mix at some stage?
Old 25 May 2016, 05:21   #18
planetidiot

Quote:
Thanks Planetidiot. You're of course entitled to price the game however you want, just pointing out in comparison to many "indie" games, especially on Steam, the initial price was possibly a little high to entice potantial buyers.

I decided to go ahead and get it anyway on the latest sale, cost around NZ$15, but have to say it is a hell of a lot of fun, especially couch co-op. Definitely needs to be played with controllers for full enjoyment, and we enjoyed the "Challenge Mode", although it didn't take long to complete. A Season mode, customised teams etc will be a great addition, so looking forward to that too!

Now, in line with the NES/SNES/Neo-Geo feel of the game, will wrestlers be added to the mix at some stage?
Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it. I would LOVE to add more players but it is a huge expense and I don't have anyone lined up that can do it. One of the originally planned players was a boxer who could only punch the ball
Old 25 May 2016, 23:11   #19
EreWeGo

Quote:
Thanks! Glad you are enjoying it. I would LOVE to add more players but it is a huge expense and I don't have anyone lined up that can do it. One of the originally planned players was a boxer who could only punch the ball
hahaha, nice

Never mind, the Season Mode update will be great anyway - any ETA?