English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Amiga do you own?
Amiga 1000 24 2.40%
Amiga 500 161 16.10%
Amiga 2000 37 3.70%
Amiga 500+ 31 3.10%
Amiga 1500 5 0.50%
Amiga 3000 29 2.90%
Amiga 600 67 6.70%
Amiga 4000 110 11.00%
Amiga 1200 450 45.00%
Amiga CD32 33 3.30%
Amiga CDTV 6 0.60%
I don't have one, but plan to get one 20 2.00%
I don't have one, and I don't plan to get one 27 2.70%
Voters: 1000. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 July 2002, 00:27   #181
Amiga1992

At last! you got the Amiga! And a pretty nice one it is.

Congratulations!
Old 23 July 2002, 21:25   #182
hal
where am i ?

i´ve got an old a500 with a busted psu and about 150 assorted floppies most of them have been killed by dust and viruses

them i´ts the 2000 i used to have hmmm
let´s not mention that
Old 23 July 2002, 21:40   #183
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by hal
and about 150 assorted floppies most of them have been killed by dust and viruses
Eh? viruses don't kill disk drives!
Old 23 July 2002, 23:36   #184
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

viruses do kill disk drives, i have a disk with a virus someone sent me that somehow spins your hard drive too fast and causes physical damage to the disk, its an evil bastard because it multiplies and spreads over networks!

I also have a virus written by some guy in australia that forces your graphics card into a resolution of 4billion x 4billion pixels completely screwing up your graphics card (burnt out the chips on my old voodoo 5) and sometimes your monitor!

There are some evil viruses out there, I collect as many as i can and have fun running them on old 486 machines i have lying around
Old 24 July 2002, 00:25   #185
Amiga1992

Might thrash the disk but I dont know if it might thrash the disk drive! Then again, there was this demo that made the diskdrive "sing" a song, and I heard from aa very good source (ie Overdoc, floppydisk meister ), that this fucked up the floppydrive.

Talking about hardware-killing software, there was a little Basic program on the PET machines that made the tape unit catch flames! It consisted of turning on and off the motor very fast... it literally burned the motor!

By the way, I dont think changing color depths to wrong values would burn a videocard, I suppose teh virus forces the videocard on an unsupported frequencey. That could fuck up the card/monitor.
Old 24 July 2002, 01:06   #186
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

did anyone ever make disk bombs at school??

you take a floopy apart, take the magnetic disk out then fill the disk with nail polish with matchstick heads grated into it, when the drive trys to read the disk it BURSTS! into flames

used to screw up high school pc's all the time with that one, wasnt i naughty :eek
Old 24 July 2002, 02:03   #187
hal
where am i ?

hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by Akira

Eh? viruses don't kill disk drives!
i mean the the diskettes not the disk drives themselves
the disks were soo old at the time and used that reformatting them would just render them useless
they were too damaged to do anything else than be read off
when you rewrite a floppy you shorten it´s lifetime more than just reading (just like the videocasettes) but i guess you know that
this stuff was pretty old when it came to me
then i had no antivirus progs
the only virus defence i had was the write protection button
i had no idea which were infected and which were not
so in the end i couldn´t save anything

(when i was using this computer i only knew how to play games on it)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick_AKA

did anyone ever make disk bombs at school??

you take a floopy apart, take the magnetic disk out then fill the disk with nail polish with matchstick heads grated into it, when the drive trys to read the disk it BURSTS! into flames

used to screw up high school pc's all the time with that one, wasnt i naughty
yes i read about those in some terrorist handbook i had somewhere once upon a time

Last edited by hal; 24 July 2002 at 03:39.
Old 24 July 2002, 05:59   #188
Amiga1992

Quote:
Call me Bin Laden, but I'd like to learn how to make these Any precise instructions anywhere? Wouldn't the nail polisher get spilt all over the place?

I'm gonna have some fun NYWAHAHAHA
Old 24 July 2002, 08:06   #189
oldpx

Hmm I read it once on an Anarchist's Cookbook kind of document. These things are common on the net. There were other bomb types as well, like the one made modifying a lightbulb that explodes and spreads tiny, sharp glass pieces when it is turned on.

Old 24 July 2002, 10:18   #190
fiath

Quote:
Might thrash the disk but I dont know if it might thrash the disk drive! Then again, there was this demo that made the diskdrive "sing" a song, and I heard from aa very good source (ie Overdoc, floppydisk meister ), that this fucked up the floppydrive.
I think it was the Saddam virus that did this... If it was not a tune, it certainly tried to damage the floppy motor.

Didn't that "fake" UAE (on the official UAE page!) play a tune on your PC drive? I never wanted to test it....
Old 24 July 2002, 10:19   #191
fiath

Quote:
Originally posted by Burseg
Hmm I read it once on an Anarchist's Cookbook kind of document. These things are common on the net. There were other bomb types as well, like the one made modifying a lightbulb that explodes and spreads tiny, sharp glass pieces when it is turned on.
I saw all this stuff in the "Jolly Rogers Cookbook" (Amiga PD) but I think it all originally came from "The Anachists Cookbook" as you say...
Old 24 July 2002, 13:22   #192
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by fiath
I think it was the Saddam virus that did this... If it was not a tune, it certainly tried to damage the floppy motor.

Didn't that "fake" UAE (on the official UAE page!) play a tune on your PC drive? I never wanted to test it....
No, the Saddam virus just mangled files on your disk beyond repair (lost a copy of "Escape From Colditz" this way back in the day, but I got a copy of the virus, so it was worth it!)

The file that made the disk drive play the 'song' was like a screen hack type thing. I still have a copy of it somewhere. Pretty nasty, but not much worse than some of the loader routines on a lot of games I had back then.

Oh, and I also have the text file with the nasty things to do to people (with the disk bomb; soaping floors, steps and handrails on school stairwells; injecting gasoline into lightbulbs, gas in balloons; shrapnel bombs; molotov cocktails, etc.)
Old 24 July 2002, 15:12   #193
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

@Akira sorry, missed a bit out,
you put the nail polish in the disk, grate matchstick heads into it then put it in the fridge so it sets. I also find it works better if you can get some magnesium in there too.

The exact instuctions were on my old website which is sadly long gone, the backup is on my A500 hard drive which is missing

It does work! several of my high school PCs can vouch for that
Old 24 July 2002, 17:27   #194
hal
where am i ?

i remember someone posting directions for those disk bombs
on the uncreative labs forum (a bravenet vintage pc-xt/at forum)
they were not at all happy with it
not at all

A møøse once bit my sister...
Old 24 July 2002, 18:15   #195
fiath

Unfortuately (if the information is all taken from the Anachists Cookbook as I suspect) all this information is very old, and most of the instuctions are also very dangeous. I made a few of them myself (tennis ball + swan vester match head = pffft, a dissapointed laddy) and electric powder bombs (never again). But when I say dangeous, I mean they do not tell you anything about the safety precations that any library book on the subject (yes you can find this stuff in the library) would tell you about.

Hmm, yes, nitroglycerene (sp) - don't shake it, get it cold or hot, leave it still - but you can make great "on-contact" bombs (throwing at a wall) if you do not add enough stabalising agent! Woohoo.

Hmmm. I suspect many less of the 14 year old boys would have blown their arms off some more of that sage advice - perhaps not touching with bare skin it because it is poisonous would have also been good?

Yeah, great trip Mummy.
Old 24 July 2002, 20:44   #196
Amiga1992

Wow! Fiath, the pocket terrorist!
Old 24 July 2002, 20:53   #197
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

I had "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Bombs" on a 5.25in floppy for my BBC micro, it came with the computer, which is scary coz i nicked it from my high school science dept!!!!
Old 24 July 2002, 22:53   #198
hal
where am i ?

Quote:
I had "The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Bombs" on a 5.25in floppy for my BBC micro, it came with the computer, which is scary coz i nicked it from my high school science dept!!!!
you bad boy you

tell me did you blow up toilets in school ?
Old 25 July 2002, 00:29   #199
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

No not quite, on the last day we took the wheels off our physics teachers car and shit through his sunroof!!!
Old 25 July 2002, 12:44   #200
fiath

Quote:
Wow! Fiath, the pocket terrorist!
No nytroglycerene! Just the other two small silly ones.

Actually, an amusing aside, if you are in England and get ITV. You might have seen an article on the Jolly Roger's cookbook - and how it is easily available.

That was my disk they demenstrated with - with my handwriting!

Yes, my mum found it!