English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 09 August 2013, 21:06   #21
andoru

@Akira: As much as I'd wish to I can't. I don't have any real hardware to record stuff, let alone having 21 different console/PC models with their respective expansions to record everything. If you want to help, you're more than welcome to, and you know where to contact me =)

Haven't posted here in a while, but just a quick update, I posted Raptor: Call of the Shadows as a request from a friend a few months ago and fixed some sets. Remember you can always contact me to let me know of any flaws =D
I also started a YouTube Channel, for those of you who are too lazy to download the sets XD

Also meanwhile I've uploaded Leisure Suit Larry complete soundtrack (minus the Amiga and Atari ST sets, sorry! If anyone has save states or can offer to record those, please do tell! ^^ ), Sid & Al Incredible Toons, TIM2, Gradius, TTO/TTD, Lemmings 2: The Tribes, and Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
I know I know, mostly classic IBM-PC stuff, but I thought I should leave the titles here anyway =3
Old 26 September 2013, 19:30   #22
andoru

Posted two more sets from recorded from real hardware thanks again to Stefan. Namely they are Lemmings 2 and Cannon Fodder for the Archimedes. Also fixed the MT-32 and GM sets for TIM2.

But as a main update I posted the full soundtrack of The Adventures of Willy Beamish. This one took me a while to finish...
I had to manually edit the FM recordings instead, since I couldn't loop the tracks in the FM player by NRS (Vogons forums). It was quite a hassle, but still better and easier than record in-game. ^^
If you notice anything wrong in the way the songs loop in the FM set, or if you happen to know how the songs are titled please let me know. Also let me know if any tracks in the FM set sound weird or not how they were supposed to (aside from the stereo FM that wasn’t available in-game).

Also, if you want to help and have a MT- or CM- series Roland modules (and some free time :dead: ), I uploaded the SMF and SysEx files, so you have half of the work done =D
Contact me beforehand though.
Also if there's anyone able to record the Amiga version, that would be quite awesome too ^^

Props for the Sierra extractor go to tikalat from Vogons forums.
Old 05 November 2013, 02:27   #23
andoru

Added the Castlevania collection, and also two more games, but since there are any Amiga ports for them I didn't post here as it would've been irrelevant ^^
Old 31 December 2013, 04:53   #24
andoru

Added the whole soundtrack for The Secret of Monkey Island including it's Amiga port.
Those of you with MT-32's or any other original hardware (Amigas, Tandys, IBM-PCs with any sound boards/modules, etc.) and some free time, you know the drill.

Happy new year =D
Old 12 January 2014, 02:17   #25
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I would just refrain from posting stuff recorded from emulators from now on.
Other than that, great job.
I'd agree that the C64 probably would be more authentic by recording from hardware (slight analogue difference), but why amiga?

Emulation:
Less hardware noise, better reproduction of samples, better mixing.

Hardware
Different filter depending on amiga version, filter can probably be used for some custom music track.
Old 12 January 2014, 09:38   #26
andoru

Not only C64 but a whole range of other consoles and PC sound modules, but that's besides this whole forum's scope =P
Old 22 June 2014, 23:45   #27
andoru

Posted the Amiga soundtrack for MadTV, and finally posted the Amiga port of Cannon Fodder

I added some other stuff on the YouTube channel that's not related to this forum, but you could go check it out if interested :P
Old 18 July 2014, 18:13   #28
andoru

Posted the soundtrack of Superfrog on the Amiga, and also the X68000 "port" of Castlevania on both OPM and MT-32.

Last edited by andoru; 18 July 2014 at 21:15.
Old 18 July 2014, 21:05   #29
john1979

I can understand not recording from real hardware in most cases. Connecting each machine up to the soundcard, playing the music, splicing it up, naming and tagging. It's all a bit dull and takes a great deal of time.

Just something that would be cool on your website, is to show whether each release was from real hardware or not. I was browsing through your MD releases but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell. Tagging each release with emulated or real would be a great bonus!

Emulated recordings are not interesting to me. Even if the sound is cleaner or sounds "better", the feeling is not quite there. I do a fair bit of lossless MD and C64 recording myself and it's nice to hear the real thing warts and all But, yes it is a pain, getting all the machines togethor, hooking them up and recording, splicing them in Audacity. The work is quite dull.
Old 19 July 2014, 17:06   #30
andoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979 View Post
I can understand not recording from real hardware in most cases. Connecting each machine up to the soundcard, playing the music, splicing it up, naming and tagging. It's all a bit dull and takes a great deal of time.
No, that's not the reason why I don't record from real hardware. The simple reason why I'm not recording from real hardware is because I *don't* have any of the consoles or PCs that I record from :P (I really don't know why people can't wrap their minds around this)
So instead I record from emulation.

Quote:
Just something that would be cool on your website, is to show whether each release was from real hardware or not. I was browsing through your MD releases but there doesn't seem to be a way to tell. Tagging each release with emulated or real would be a great bonus!
Well I've written in the comments section of each tagged FLAC file, but you're right, I probably should write what I used to record the soundtracks. However, if you're interested, the YouTube videos all have specified whether they come from emulation or real hardware in their titles, so you could check that one up.

Quote:
I do a fair bit of lossless MD and C64 recording myself
Well as I specified a few times in this thread I'm looking for peeps that have real hardware and are willing to record stuff, so if you want, you could help me with those two platforms by sending me the unedited recordings, and I would process and tag them accordingly.

Last edited by andoru; 27 August 2014 at 22:25.
Old 05 August 2014, 21:35   #31
john1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoru View Post
Well as I specified a few times in this thread I'm looking for peeps that have real hardware and are willing to record stuff, so if you want, you could help me with those two platforms by sending me the unedited recordings, and I would process and tag them accordingly.
Unfortunately I don't have my unsplit wavs anymore. But for what it's worth I've stuck everything I've recorded so far onto my web server running from my home broadband.

A few notes:

- All the lossless stuff is in Wavpack format but it is trivial to convert over to FLAC if you want to do so.

- Files that end in an 'x' followed by a number are repeated x times because at the time I liked it so much, and it was so short that I felt it needed to be doubled up.

- Amiga music is in two sections: an Ogg Vorbis version with a 60% stereo downmix (ala SOAMC) and a Wavpack version with the original hard stereo separation.

- Music recorded at 44.1khz was recorded with a Creative X-Fi. 48khz recordings were made with a Creative Soundblaster Live (to get around the Live's poor resampling)

- For MD music I used a "High Definition" Megadrive Model 1 taken from the headphone socket. Amiga music was from an A1200. For C64 the model of SID chip is marked on every file.

- C64 recordings have been made with the Audio-In pin grounded to reduce the 64s background hum

- The few MD recordings are the complete game soundtracks. The C64 and Amiga stuff is more patchy. Some are complete games, some not. It's all a bit random. It's just whatever I liked at the time.

http://zaphod.hacked.jp:60000/Audio

Anyway I would like to make some contributions to your collection. I will do my best to make the time to record the odd game soundtrack if you tell me what you want. It's quite difficult to provide "unedited" recordings from a real Megadrive as they have to be made via the music selection menu inside the game. These players tend to loop forever until you select the next song so the whole thing will be joined up so close splitting it would be next to impossible. It's far easier to record one track, stop audacity and add a small fade out so it doesn't just fall off a cliff.

Haven't recorded much in a while. I think I will add the link to my forum signatures and try to put more effort into expanding the library.
Old 27 August 2014, 22:24   #32
andoru

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have my unsplit wavs anymore. But for what it's worth I've stuck everything I've recorded so far onto my web server running from my home broadband.

http://zaphod.hacked.jp:60000/Audio
Thanks for that! Unfortunately there wasn't anything usable (so far), except Cannon Fodder on the Amiga, but unfortunately it's incomplete

Quote:
Anyway I would like to make some contributions to your collection. I will do my best to make the time to record the odd game soundtrack if you tell me what you want.
I would really appreciate if you could do that!
As for the games I would need, they are all under their respective platforms on the site:
Amiga
C64
MegaDrive

In the case of MegaDrive, not all games might have a SFX test screen, but I'd be happy to provide you with the codes necessary to get to it, that is provided that there is such a code available for the game itself

Quote:
These players tend to loop forever until you select the next song so the whole thing will be joined up so close splitting it would be next to impossible.
I can assure you that it's not more difficult than splitting MT-32 recordings, with it's heavy reverb, so no need to worry about that XD

Quote:
It's far easier to record one track, stop audacity and add a small fade out so it doesn't just fall off a cliff.
You could just leave it unfaded as well (unless you're posting those recordings on your server) after the 2nd loop (or 3rd, 4th, 5ft, etc., depending on the lenght of the song itself), and I'd be quite happy :P
Thanks in advance!

Also I posted the soundtrack for Loom, so go check it out guys, especially if you're fans of Tchaikovsky
Old 05 September 2014, 20:24   #33
john1979

PM Sent
Old 08 September 2014, 19:17   #34
andoru

Thanks, answered to it back

Posted the soundtrack for Maniac Mansion, also made a reddit community to replace the old contact form which was malfunctioning, so if you want to contact me, that's the best place to do it
Old 01 October 2014, 21:29   #35
andoru

Terribly sorry for the delay, been very busy.
I added the soundtrack for Doom, added john1979's recordings and also made a twitter account, so if you guys want to retweet what I post there, follow the project or ask a question, I'm @vengefulchip.
Old 12 October 2014, 19:47   #36
andoru

Added Push-Over ( [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], IBM-PC [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ] and [ Show youtube player ])
Old 23 November 2014, 03:23   #37
andoru

Added Pang ( [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ])
Old 05 January 2015, 22:03   #38
andoru

Added the soundtrack of the [ Show youtube player ] from early 1990.
Old 14 February 2015, 18:54   #39
andoru

Added the soundtrack of Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge ( [ Show youtube player ], IBM-PC [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ], [ Show youtube player ] and [ Show youtube player ])
Old 17 June 2016, 19:41   #40
spiff
Oh noes!

MT-32 Monkey island is outstanding.. amiga really could have used another sound channel to mix.