English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 June 2006, 05:03   #1
gizmomelb

Saving / Creating HDF from real Amiga HDD?

Hi all,

I've done a bit of a search on here and I've not really found any useful information so far..

I've got my realy Amiga HDD connected to a USB caddy and that is connected to my Windows box. WinUAE 1.2 can see the HDD and I can even boot from it and access all my files. However - I want to make a HDF image of my real Amiga HDD and I'm having no luck doing it.

Could someone please help me with some info?

Thank you.
Gizmomelb

EDIT: is there an easy way to connect the original drive to the PC, then run WinUAE and 'right click' SAVE HDF or something similar?

EDIT 2: ok seems the problem was PEBKAC - I was trying to save the HDF image to a partition that didn't have enough space. So I've now created the HDF image on a partition which DOES have enough space, however.. when I add the HDF image to WinUAE and it tries to boot it tells me that there is a Non DOS image in DH0: any help would be most appreciated please.

Last edited by gizmomelb; 18 June 2006 at 05:24.
Old 18 June 2006, 05:11   #2
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

How about, create a HDF, mount it in Winuae, and use something like directoryOpus to copy the Real amiga's HDD contents to the HDF ?
Old 18 June 2006, 05:30   #3
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmomelb
Hi all,

EDIT 2: ok seems the problem was PEBKAC - I was trying to save the HDF image to a partition that didn't have enough space. So I've now created the HDF image on a partition which DOES have enough space, however.. when I add the HDF image to WinUAE and it tries to boot it tells me that there is a Non DOS image in DH0: any help would be most appreciated please.
Did you format the HDF ?

Chances are, you added the HDF to the Harddrives section, and its gained a higher priority than the directory/HDF you usually boot from.
Old 18 June 2006, 06:17   #4
gizmomelb

hiyas whiteb,

thanks for the help!

No, I essentially copied the Amiga HDD to a HDF file (at least that is what I assume the 'add harddrive, create HDF and then it says copying' function does) so there should be no need to format it etc. as its a copy of an already formatted and installed HDD.

EDIT: hmm, actually I'm not so sure it is a CLONE of the Amiga HDD.. I just tried it again and it only says 'PROCESSING' - not 'COPYING'. SO I think it's just making an empty HDF with the same geometry as the original Amiga HDD.

Last edited by gizmomelb; 18 June 2006 at 06:27.
Old 18 June 2006, 06:26   #5
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Okay, well I have never used that.......

But if it worked now, then great
Old 18 June 2006, 06:32   #6
gizmomelb

well it appears to just create an empty HDF, so looks like I need to use QBT or something to copy it.

Seems silly that if WinUAE can read direct off the HDD that it cannot clone it - enhancement request maybe please Toni?
Old 18 June 2006, 06:52   #7
whiteb
Fanatically Amiga.

Just do what I suggested, load workbench, with the HDF and Amiga HDD defined, and just copy from the Amiga HDD to the HDF with DOPUS or another file manager.
Old 18 June 2006, 07:12   #8
adolescent