English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 July 2015, 11:37   #41
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

If you want to try BarryB´s config it must be in some post of him but I don't find it.
Old 14 July 2015, 17:04   #42
TenLeftFingers

Would it be worth creating a centalised place like a wiki with these configs and some comments on each? I have two or three configs with mixes results I can comment on. If enough people try them on different hardware we could make the process easier for new users.

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 14 July 2015, 17:32   #43
Amon_RA

A wiki explaining all the config tool options and settings would be a first step imo. Everyone can make and load a config, but not everyone understands the details behind. Once you understand how it works you will not need to load someone else's config because you'll be able to make your own.
Old 14 July 2015, 21:16   #44
TenLeftFingers

I can't provide an explanation because I don't know what I'm doing. But I can scavenge for configs, put them on a wiki and let the comments come.

I took a chance typing wiki.abime.net and got a result so Ill get cracking in a few days and post back. If anyone wants to add a tutorial, that would be great.

Sent from Ubuntu Touch using the Forum Browser app
Old 14 July 2015, 23:54   #45
trixster
Guru Meditating

Right Ive been playing around with this tonight. The best I can manage is a perfectly sized 1024x768 WB using the HighGfx monitor drivers with a virtually full screen PAL games mode at 56hz and a decent sized NTSC mode for 320x200 games like Quake at 60hz. At 56hz i get some microstutter in normal 50hz PAL games but it's not too discernable and i can live with it.

I thought my monitor could do 50hz correctly. I can get PAL 320x256 (upscaled to 640x512 in the indivision prefs) games to sync and display correctly but there's some pronounced stutter, so either the indivision isn't accepting and sending out 50hz correctly over DVI, or the monitor is lying when it's saying it's displaying 50hz and its actually doing something wacky internally instead.

I'll have another go at getting 50hz running tomorrow. I think at the moment Dvi-d only allows me to use 56hz. If I can get it to use dvi-a I think my viewsonic vp2030b monitor will display 50hz correctly. The other alternative is to try VGA but I've had banding issues using a dvi-VGA adapter before so I'm sticking to dvi.

Last edited by trixster; 15 July 2015 at 01:05.
Old 15 July 2015, 20:58   #46
trixster
Guru Meditating

I've had a little bit more success.

I can now get full screen pal running at 50hz which gives smooth vertical and horizontal scrolling. My monitor reports a vert freq of 49hz with hori freq of 27khz and a pixel clock of 25mhz. indivision prefs are set at 49.996hz. This is the closest I can get to 50 by tweaking the porch settings. The pal screen mode fills the monitor completely. The funny thing is when a game first loads I get stutter, but by telling the monitor to cycle input modes it will re-sync and then produce a smooth display. There is a tiny micro stutter every 3.5 seconds which I cannot eliminate but this is imperceptible when playing a game.

So the indivision appears capable of outputting 50hz. I guess it depends on whether your monitor is capable of accepting 50hz at a pal full-screen capable resolution.
Old 15 July 2015, 21:39   #47
Jope
-

A tiny micro stutter every 3.5 secs is not smooth.. The Indi AGA mk1 can do this with no stutters.

I've given this a few evenings of my spare time and occasional stutters was the best I could come up with too. :-/

Last edited by Jope; 15 July 2015 at 21:45.
Old 15 July 2015, 21:50   #48
trixster
Guru Meditating

It's good enough for me. Better than 56hz, 60hz or anything else I've managed.
Old 18 July 2015, 16:42   #49
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Well, if you delete the screenmode.prefs it boots with Pal here. If that screenmode also gives the black screen then you would need to reflash the core of the indivision, which is far more difficult from the shell, so in that case you better connect to a monitor without using the indi.
Guess what? I was trying to fix the clipping around the edges for the Pal config and was getting good results. But on reboot I get a black screen.

Even holding down two mouse buttons doesn't give me an output (because both PAL and the higher res are not outputting. Maybe it's a device fault, but I'd like to try to reflash from the shell. Is there documentation for this? I don't have a monitor.
Old 18 July 2015, 16:58   #50
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

You can boot without s-s, change to the directory where you've got the Indivision MKII original drivers and make a
Code:
Indivision -r
to reflash it to that core.

But if you can't see the screen you need to use scart or another way.

Last edited by Retrofan; 18 July 2015 at 17:04.
Old 18 July 2015, 17:08   #51
TenLeftFingers

Thanks again Retrofan. Looks like I need to order another adapter before I can fix it.
Old 18 July 2015, 17:23   #52
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Another adapter? My hdmi adapter from Kipper also got broken the other day. My flat hdmi cable makes a lot of pressure and somehow it desoldered the hdmi connector.
Old 18 July 2015, 18:36   #53
TenLeftFingers

Well, I mean a VGA adapter so I can connect to LCD. Then I can fix the Indivision. I may look into getting a monitor though, and selling the Indivision if it doesn't settle down soon. It's becoming a pain.
Old 19 July 2015, 10:58   #54
trixster
Guru Meditating

The problem won't be with the Indivision, it'll be with the monitor and/or the settings in the config.
Old 19 July 2015, 13:47   #55
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
The problem won't be with the Indivision, it'll be with the monitor and/or the settings in the config.
Yes, that's true. But I wish it wouldn't let me reboot with a config that doesn't work. I did Test/Apply first so I see this as a design fault. The settings now reside on a card that can't display an image, which is problematic.

I had found the settings to improve the image clipping as well as reduce the border. Maybe increasing the picture size used too much memory?
Old 24 July 2015, 14:07   #56
trodas
old Amiga fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to trodas Send a message via AIM to trodas Send a message via MSN to trodas
Question

Quote:
monitor reports a vert freq of 49hz with hori freq of 27khz and a pixel clock of 25mhz. indivision prefs are set at 49.996hz. This is the closest I can get to 50 by tweaking the porch settings
Quote:
A tiny micro stutter every 3.5 secs is not smooth.. The Indi AGA mk1 can do this with no stutters.
Good point. Makes me wonder, if setting true 50Hz PAL w/o microshutters is possible only on MKI ....

This fella is trying to show that 50Hz scroll is doable in Indivision AGA MKII:

Indivision AGA Mk2 50hz Config
[ Show youtube player ]

...but a little confirmation could not hurt if this is actually possible.

If it still shutter from time to time, then why not use Indivision AGA MKI? Are there some reasons why not...?
Old 24 July 2015, 14:19   #57
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

That video is from Bymarcao in this forum. BarryB made a configuration based in his and I've included it on AKReal. Using MorpheuZ, Indivision you can install it.

Edit: I've found BarryB's config, it's here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=69938

Last edited by Retrofan; 24 July 2015 at 23:17.
Old 25 July 2015, 22:32   #58
trixster
Guru Meditating

I'll give that a try next week when my accelerator board gets back from its upgrade. I'm interested to see if it works better than my 50hz config. The micro stutter I reported on my config is move like a quick vsync smear every 3.5 seconds, not a stutter/jerk you get with a 60hz config.
Old 27 July 2015, 20:58   #59
TenLeftFingers

The VGA adpter from AmigaKit arrived today. When I connect to my LCD I get the message "Screen mode not supported" (or something close to that).

I'm nearly two weeks now without a picture. Is there a file on the hard disk I can edit to reset the resolution to default settings? I've also tried removing the AGA but it made no difference.
Old 27 July 2015, 21:40   #60
trixster
Guru Meditating

Have you tried mounting the harddrive under winuae? You could then alter the config back to default.