English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga Game Factory

Old 31 January 2024, 22:42   #161
DanielAllsopp

The original port of RoboCop on the Amiga was pretty bad, but I think that was due to time constraints and/or it being a straight up port of the Atari ST version. Perhaps even compromises made to allow the ST version and the Amiga version to be pretty much ported as one. Also, please remember that this is written for AGA machines, with the faster fetch modes, wider sprites, more colours and general grunt that they provide; I wouldn't know where to begin making it look like it does for OCS/ECS machines. I can say that it would probably look a bit better than what we got back in the day though.

I agree with JOTD though, these days the tools available to developers are far superior to anything available back then. For those interested, I develop this on an M2 Studio Mac, which allows me to run multiple instances of FS-UAE in various configurations for running the game itself, then all of the Amiga tools such as Personal Paint, PicCon etc. I also have running at the same time instances of Photoshop, Audition, Tiled and Visual Studio Code spread across three 4k monitors. MAME of course comes in handy as well for ripping graphics.

It's such a nice system to sit in front of and code with, so easy.

Compiling the code literally takes seconds, the whole codebase is cleaned and compiled in less than 2 seconds. I have a GreaseWeazel hooked up via USB which writes my floppy disks with a single 'make install' command from the terminal, ready for the machines on the right for testing: an A1200, and when it's not being temperamental and gathering dust, an A4000/060.

For me, the relative ease of creating games these days is having all of these wonderful tools at your disposal.
Old 07 February 2024, 18:09   #162
DanielAllsopp

Update 14

Update #14

Tiny update regarding progressing the later stages. These have necessitated a few small tweaks to the tile engine and the format of the maps, so it was a good shout to look at this now rather than further on down the line. Anyway, here's a comparison of stage 2 from the three reference platforms.

Arcade:

Amiga:

Amiga AGA:

I might tweak the palette a little and make it darker but it's not looking too bad. Next update we should hopefully see it moving, which will require another change to the tile engine as we'll need vertical scrolling as well as horizontal. I will have all 8 sprites to play with here too as there's no parallax, which should help speed things along.
Old 07 February 2024, 20:26   #163
vulture

Looks so close to the original, only the police car is missing, otherwise it's pretty much identical. Except for the hud of course, I prefer yours
Old 07 February 2024, 21:07   #164
jotd
This cat is no more

The one in the middle stands out ... for its mediocrity
Old 07 February 2024, 22:45   #165
DanielAllsopp

Ah, I have a nice little plan for the police car for each level. It’s already in there as a 16 colour sprite, I just haven’t written the code yet, and so with no sharing palette's with the main background, it should look identical to the arcade.
Old 07 February 2024, 23:01   #166
S0ulA55a551n

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post
I agree with JOTD though, these days the tools available to developers are far superior to anything available back then. For those interested, I develop this on an M2 Studio Mac, which allows me to run multiple instances of FS-UAE in various configurations for running the game itself, then all of the Amiga tools such as Personal Paint, PicCon etc. I also have running at the same time instances of Photoshop, Audition, Tiled and Visual Studio Code spread across three 4k monitors. MAME of course comes in handy as well for .

Is this the vs code extensions you use https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...amiga-assembly
Old 08 February 2024, 01:11   #167
DanielAllsopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ulA55a551n View Post
Is this the vs code extensions you use https://marketplace.visualstudio.com...amiga-assembly
No, as much as I think it looks awesome, I could never get it to work properly and it’s a bit overkill for what I need. I do use a 68k extension for the syntax highlighting and VASM integration for error checking but I use a makefile for compiling etc.