English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 31 January 2019, 13:15   #21
Daedalus

The best way of dealing with it is to use a couple of 9-pin D connectors to build a simple adaptor for Amiga use, then you can still use the unmodified pad on the Megadrive. If you have a C64, you can also add some diodes to the adaptor that make it safe for C64 use too.

I don't know enough about the Megadrive to know if it will damage it, but the risk of damage to Amiga systems of using an unmodified pad is very low. What's more likely to be an issue for Amiga use is that certain game / Kickstart combinations might not set the pin 5 level as required, resulting in the controller not getting power and therefore working.

Personally I don't really like the idea of powering peripherals from an I/O pin of Paula, so I don't do it.
Old 01 April 2019, 23:00   #22
Nightshft

In the meantime I tried the Quickshot 128F and the 138F and
- it's a really cool joystick for many games
- 2nd Button is working fine, if set to Mode D

Microswitches on the 138F are nice, but the 128F is cool too (and more silent )

Regarding 9 pin to USB Adapters make sure to get one that supports 2 buttons. I have one that does (Sinchai) and one that does not (retrobit).

Edit: Can a mod change the thread title to something with "Quickshot 128F 138F" or the like, so people find this when the search?
Old 01 April 2019, 23:23   #23
majinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The best way of dealing with it is to use a couple of 9-pin D connectors to build a simple adaptor for Amiga use, then you can still use the unmodified pad on the Megadrive. If you have a C64, you can also add some diodes to the adaptor that make it safe for C64 use too.
An adapter for MD pads already exist
https://github.com/screwbreaker/Open...rivePadAdapter

Probably more than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
I don't know enough about the Megadrive to know if it will damage it, but the risk of damage to Amiga systems of using an unmodified pad is very low. What's more likely to be an issue for Amiga use is that certain game / Kickstart combinations might not set the pin 5 level as required, resulting in the controller not getting power and therefore working.

Personally I don't really like the idea of powering peripherals from an I/O pin of Paula, so I don't do it.
The power still taken from the pin 7 of the Amiga, most probably inside the MD pad there are some protections diodes. Connecting it to the Amiga the diode to the power rail is directly biased, and the VCC go from the pin 7 of the Amiga to the pin 5 of the pad.
Old 01 April 2019, 23:51   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshft View Post
Edit: Can a mod change the thread title to something with "Quickshot 128F 138F" or the like, so people find this when the search?
Ok, I've left the original title but tagged "Quickshot 128F & 138F" onto it
Old 09 September 2019, 23:12   #25
Aran Banjo

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
ones that have the poorer leaf-switches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixs View Post
I don't see any differance on the outside between QS-128F that uses leaf contacts and QS-138F that uses microswitches.

I know this a old(ish) thread but I want to dispel the notion that the QS-128F uses leaf switches: it doesn't, it has rubber pads on the inside, of the same kind that you'll find on console gamepads.

Also the QS-138F uses open microswitches, so if you're thinking of changing some, you can't (unless you can find the right springs).