English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 April 2017, 11:48   #1
madcap

Question Amiga 2000 Power Supply Replacement

Hi everyone.

I just got my hands on an Amiga 2000 (rev.6.2) but the PSU is dead. After doing some research on Google, I found out that it's possible to replace it with an ATX power supply and there's even an adapter sold by amigakit that apparently does that.

Has anyone tried that adapter? It comes with a power on/off switch on a 50 cm cable. Where does that switch go in the A2000 case?

Does anyone have a better suggestion (instead of using this adapter)?

Thanks!
Old 11 April 2017, 12:07   #2
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

I assume you would mount the switch on the rear of the case somewhere, with the PSU being ATX it'll be a simple momentary switch. I'm using an ATX PSU with my Amiga 1200 - no issues as yet
Old 11 April 2017, 12:30   #3
idrougge

Buy them from Ian Stedman instead. http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Sales/sales.html
Old 11 April 2017, 13:32   #4
amigakit.com

@Madcap

We have had encouraging feedback from our customers over the years we have sold the Amiga 2000 ATX PSU Power Adapter Cable with Switch

Here are some of the customer product reviews:

http://amigakit.leamancomputing.com/...roducts_id=998

If you have any questions, then please get in touch.

I hope this helps!
Old 11 April 2017, 14:23   #5
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigakit.com View Post
If you have any questions, then please get in touch.
I hope this helps!
@amigakit.com, I had already seen the reviews but I don't find them very helpful.

It would help if you could send me a copy of the instructions so I could see how you recommend to install the switch.
Old 30 August 2017, 08:26   #6
Sanxion

Hi all

I am in the same situation as the original poster...about to acquire an Amiga 2000 which needs a new PSU...I understand I can buy an adapter cable for an ATX PSU, but my question is, which ATX power supply should I buy? There are hundreds of them. Also, will it be a stratight replacement for the old one or will it require modifiying to make it fit into the existing place?

Thanks
Old 30 August 2017, 08:33   #7
Jope
-

It will not fit directly in the original place, but you can create an adapter out of a piece of aluminium + some nuts'n'bolts, as the A2k psu is huge in comparison.

.. or if the 2k has the PSU included, just decase the ATX PSU and mount its innards inside the A2k PSU's case. Naturally don't make mistakes, you're on your own, don't go in beyond your abilities etc.
Old 30 August 2017, 08:50   #8
Sanxion

Thanks Jope, but which ATX power supply should I buy?
Old 30 August 2017, 09:28   #9
Jope
-

Check for one that has both -12 and -5. Many new ones do not. You may have to buy a negatron or similar to get the missing voltage. Basically ATX1.3 made -5VDC obsolete.

I have had good experience with Corsair PSUs when used to power various non-ATX devices.. :-)
Old 30 August 2017, 09:54   #10
Daedalus

Yep, I like Corsair power supplies too. also, remember that you don't need anywhere near as much power as a modern PC, so don't fall into the trap of going for the highest power rating you see. 200W is probably all you need so there's no need to go much above that, though the smallest you might find these days is probably 4-500W.

The -5V line is optional on modern PSUs as mentioned, but the requirement is tiny in the Amiga, so if you're handy with a soldering iron, you could hack a 7905 regulator and a couple of capacitors onto the adaptor board to fill the gap.
Old 30 August 2017, 10:09   #11
Marmes

I would Fix it, it's a simple PSU. Recap is needed for sure. then Check for transistors, etc. A lot cheaper than a new ATX PSU and converter. If you're not ok with that, then converter from AK is good.
Old 30 August 2017, 10:16   #12
Sanxion

But the old 2000 PSUs are known to be noisy and inefficient. Surely a new one is a better option?
Old 30 August 2017, 10:24   #13
Marmes

They can be noisy as new PSUs,just change the fan. They are better built than newer ones. Bigger caps, good quality transistors,I just don't agree with the use of 78/9xx on some outputs. Other than that they are ok.
Old 30 August 2017, 10:59   #14
Daedalus

What's wrong with using a 7905 for the -5V line when it only ever needs a few milliamps? After all, even Commodore used that method in the 4000. As for noise and quality, I take it you haven't used a good quality modern PSU in anything. The fans are often stopped entirely when the machine isn't stressed because they simply don't need to run, and an A2000 isn't going to stress a modern PSU. No matter how good a fan you fit, an 80mm fan at full speed always makes noise, whereas a 120mm fan that's temperature controlled won't.
Old 30 August 2017, 11:58   #15
Marmes

Ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
what's wrong with using a 7905 for the -5v line when it only ever needs a few milliamps? After all, even commodore used that method in the 4000. As for noise and quality, i take it you haven't used a good quality modern psu in anything. The fans are often stopped entirely when the machine isn't stressed because they simply don't need to run, and an a2000 isn't going to stress a modern psu. No matter how good a fan you fit, an 80mm fan at full speed always makes noise, whereas a 120mm fan that's temperature controlled won't.
Old 04 November 2017, 23:08   #16
madcap

Since I started this thread, I've written a tutorial showing how I replaced my Amiga 2000 original PSU with an ATX one. I've shared it on github under a CC BY-SA 4.0 license:

https://github.com/tiagoepifanio/a2000atx
Old 25 September 2020, 17:25   #17
NevadaTech

Sorry for the necro-post.

I'm working a similar issue for an Amiga 2000 power supply. Madcap do you have any closer pics of the circuit board? I'm wondering about the small surface mounted caps and IC. I don't believe the full boards are being manufactured anymore but I did find one source for the circuit board. That source has no specs/parts list.

Regards,
Rich.
Old 25 February 2021, 15:22   #18
madcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaTech View Post

Well, sorry for the same reason. I've just read your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaTech View Post

I'm working a similar issue for an Amiga 2000 power supply. Madcap do you have any closer pics of the circuit board? I'm wondering about the small surface mounted caps and IC. I don't believe the full boards are being manufactured anymore but I did find one source for the circuit board. That source has no specs/parts list.

@NevadaTech since a few months have passed from you post, do you still need those pics? If you need them, I think I can dig them from my hard drive.