English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hall Of Light > HOL suggestions and feedback

Old 08 June 2002, 21:40   #1
DPainter

Disk scanning for HOL - what res?

I have some free time to scan original 150+ Amiga game disks for the HOL (I do not have the boxes or manuals, however). I'm starting now doing six at a time @ 200dpi at 85% JPG quality. Is that OK?

Last edited by DPainter; 08 June 2002 at 22:16.
Old 08 June 2002, 22:17   #2
DPainter

Here's an example reduced to 25%:
Old 08 June 2002, 22:25   #3
DPainter

And here's a cropped sample at 100% res:
Old 08 June 2002, 23:31   #4
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

200dpi should be adequate (although I scan everything at 300...). The size that the disk images will actually appear on HOL will be 320 pixels wide x * (* being whatever it comes out to height-wise). If you wanna part with the higher-res versions, I'll be more than happy to accept them (and even do the resizing and stuff for you). If you wanna do something like this, let me know and I'll make some kind of arrangement with you. I'm just getting ready to add a buttload of entries into the database and then begin on my existing scans, followed by about 600-700 boxed games that haven't yet been scanned (!)
Old 10 June 2002, 18:25   #5
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin'Ghost
200dpi should be adequate (although I scan everything at 300...). The size that the disk images will actually appear on HOL will be 320 pixels wide x * (* being whatever it comes out to height-wise). If you wanna part with the higher-res versions, I'll be more than happy to accept them (and even do the resizing and stuff for you). If you wanna do something like this, let me know and I'll make some kind of arrangement with you. I'm just getting ready to add a buttload of entries into the database and then begin on my existing scans, followed by about 600-700 boxed games that haven't yet been scanned (!)
I've done 90 disks already, so I should be done in a couple of days. I can give you the full size scans or I can crop and reduce them if you can tell me which ones of mine you don't already have. Since mine are old, loose, used little numbers (that sounds bad), many have pretty dirty labels and you may prefer to rescan better disks.

Here's an example I cropped out using M$ Photo Editor (which has an excellent auto-balance feature), then reduced in Irfanview to 320x:
Old 10 June 2002, 19:21   #6
Paul
RIP Friends

Just wondering, Does scanning Disks damage them? or is it safe?
Old 10 June 2002, 20:25   #7
DPainter

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul
Just wondering, Does scanning Disks damage them? or is it safe?
As far as scanning, I think it's safe. However, in my experience, handling disks can be dangerous due to static shock. If you walk around carrying a disk you're bound to give it a little shock depending on conditions. I always try to ground myself before handling them, but when a floppy disk is 18 years old who knows what it can handle...
Old 11 June 2002, 03:15   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by DPainter
I've done 90 disks already, so I should be done in a couple of days. I can give you the full size scans or I can crop and reduce them if you can tell me which ones of mine you don't already have. Since mine are old, loose, used little numbers (that sounds bad), many have pretty dirty labels and you may prefer to rescan better disks.

Here's an example I cropped out using M$ Photo Editor (which has an excellent auto-balance feature), then reduced in Irfanview to 320x:
Way cool! (and prime choice for diskscan!) Actually, the full, uncropped scans would be super (you're on broadband, yes?) M$ Photo Editor, eh? Who'da thunk it!

As for dirty labels, that's usually an easy fix...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	primetime.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2734