English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 17 September 2019, 06:12   #1
pipper

SCSI2SD A1200 internal mount

I have successfully setup the SCSI2SD V6 on a Blizzard SCSI Kit. It works nice, but it is currently hanging out on the side of the machine. Did anyone produce a mount (3D printed?) to use the existing hard drive mounting holes in the PCB to hold the SCSI2SD pcb in place above the mainboard?
Old 17 September 2019, 10:16   #2
Vypr

I've designed ones for the A2000 and A2091\A590. I could probably knock one up for the A1200 HD cradle.
Old 17 September 2019, 11:58   #3
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipper View Post
I have successfully setup the SCSI2SD V6 on a Blizzard SCSI Kit. It works nice, but it is currently hanging out on the side of the machine. Did anyone produce a mount (3D printed?) to use the existing hard drive mounting holes in the PCB to hold the SCSI2SD pcb in place above the mainboard?
Can you share your settings? Internal or external termination? What kind of cable?

I had endless problems when I last tried it in my setup.
Old 17 September 2019, 17:16   #4
pipper

Initially I had trouble, too. But this was due to the Blizzard 1230IV (my specimen at least) being super finicky about the RAM module. There is exactly one Module out of many that I tried that leaves the board rock solid (regardless of the 70ns jumper).
Anyhow, once that was sorted out it Just Worked. What astonishes me most is that the SCSI2SD does not need extra power but runs off the termination power!
I am using a 4Gb sdcard, I split it up into 3 virtual hard drives (as opposed to one hard drive with three partitions) I don’t know if that is a good idea or not; so far it caused no trouble. I made sure the boot partition is smaller than 1GB to not have any trouble booting off it. I use PFS3 on all of them.
After setting ScsiKit settings to Synchronous mode, SysInfo reports little more than 6mb/s.

Old 17 September 2019, 23:22   #5
Vypr

So I bodged this up which should fit but I think it will need to be raised up a bit higher as the SCSI2SD is wider than a normal 2.5" HD so it may foul the keyboard cable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1200_scsi2sd.PNG
Views:	130
Size:	685.5 KB
ID:	64501  
Old 18 September 2019, 12:56   #6
Jope
-

Cheers, I might try different RAM modules too. You wouldn't have needed to slice up the SD card if you use a Phase 5 scsi board + pfs3, it will gladly do TD64 and support up to around 106GB with ease.
Old 18 September 2019, 21:38   #7
Vypr

I think that should do it. I would recommend printing the spacers out as well to lift the SCSI2SD card off the mount
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190918_202621.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	889.1 KB
ID:	64510  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SCSI2SD_Mount_v004.zip (10.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 12 November 2019, 12:14   #8
Ferry

Quote:
Initially I had trouble, too. But this was due to the Blizzard 1230IV (my specimen at least) being super finicky about the RAM module. There is exactly one Module out of many that I tried that leaves the board rock solid (regardless of the 70ns jumper).
Anyhow, once that was sorted out it Just Worked. What astonishes me most is that the SCSI2SD does not need extra power but runs off the termination power!
I am using a 4Gb sdcard, I split it up into 3 virtual hard drives (as opposed to one hard drive with three partitions) I don’t know if that is a good idea or not; so far it caused no trouble. I made sure the boot partition is smaller than 1GB to not have any trouble booting off it. I use PFS3 on all of them.
After setting ScsiKit settings to Synchronous mode, SysInfo reports little more than 6mb/s.
Hi.

Here a Blizz SCSI Kit attached to a Blizz A1260. Mine has a cable ending in a female DB25, but looks like AmigaKit sells adapters from SCSI 50-pin connector to DB25 female, and that wouldn't fit. What did you use to hook it up the the end of the Blizz Kit SCSI, where did you bought the adapter 50-pin SCSI to DB25 male? Or did you use a gender changer?

And now an idea: would it be possible to put an extra connector inserted/crimped to the internal SCSI kit cable for the SCSI2SD and still have the external connector in the backplate? After all, it's a SCSI chain. Would that work? What do you think?

Also, any specific requirements or settings for the RAM module? And have you tested bigger SD cards since your first test with the 4GB one?

TIA for your answers.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 13 November 2019, 07:51   #9
pipper

I bought the Blizzard SCSI cable from AmiKit, but may have gotten a strange one as it ends in a male 25pin subd connector(??), not female as advertised.

On the other end I bought this one: https://www.itead.cc/scsi2-50pin-to-...5-adapter.html
Old 20 November 2019, 20:21   #10
Ferry

Quote:
I bought the Blizzard SCSI cable from AmiKit, but may have gotten a strange one as it ends in a male 25pin subd connector(??), not female as advertised.

On the other end I bought this one: https://www.itead.cc/scsi2-50pin-to-...5-adapter.html
Hmmm, that's strange, since the original Blizz SCSI kit comes with a female ending…

And yes, I have bought the same converter from Itead. I'm trying something "special" with the SCSI2SD, but I prefer not to tell anything until I try it, and I'm still waiting for components.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 07 December 2019, 03:18   #11
aperez

Ferrán,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferry View Post
I have bought the same converter from Itead. I'm trying something "special" with the SCSI2SD, but I prefer not to tell anything until I try it, and I'm still waiting for components.

Any progress here? I'd love to see someone use SCSI2SD V5.5 (DB25 native, direct attach) with a Blizzard SCSI. I'd try it myself, but I don't have one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	65442   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0348.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	65443  
Old 18 December 2019, 00:36   #12
Ferry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperez View Post
Ferrán,

Any progress here? I'd love to see someone use SCSI2SD V5.5 (DB25 native, direct attach) with a Blizzard SCSI. I'd try it myself, but I don't have one.
Still fighting with the board: looks like it doesn't provide the full data throttle it should. Only works reliably in async mode, giving like 3MB/s, while in sync mode should give like 8MB/s, but some tests show that sync mode can only be used if you force limit at 5MB/s. Look here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94530

So still doing tests…

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 18 December 2019, 00:41   #13
aperez

No mention of which firmware version you're using. Please specify, and you should really update to the latest, using scsi2sd-util6: http://www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd...9/firmware.dfu
Old 19 December 2019, 01:34   #14
Ferry

Quote:
No mention of which firmware version you're using. Please specify, and you should really update to the latest, using scsi2sd-util6: www.codesrc.com/files/scsi2sd-v6/v6.2.9/firmware.dfu
I was updated up to version v6.2.8, but looks like any version above v6.2.5 has bugs regarding syncron transfers, so I went back to that version. Now I'm doing tests with it.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 19 December 2019, 02:28   #15
Ferry

Tests done: looks like v6.2.5 works pretty well with Sync mode, I'm getting almost 7MB/s, double than Async mode and almost 5-6 times of what I get from IDE.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 19 December 2019, 16:32   #16
pipper

Quote:
Tests done: looks like v6.2.5 works pretty well with Sync mode, I'm getting almost 7MB/s,...

I’m having a similar experience after downgrading to v6.2.5. The lockup in SysSpeed is gone. Weirdly enough, though, I’m seeing division-by-zero in SysInfo when benchmarking the last of the virtual devices (I have 4 simulated devices on one SD)
Old 19 December 2019, 18:01   #17
aperez

Quote:
I was updated up to version v6.2.8, but looks like any version above v6.2.5 has bugs regarding syncron transfers, so I went back to that version. Now I'm doing tests with it.
Ferrán.

Thanks. What is your source of data regarding the synchronous transfer issues? Just anecdotal observations? Have you tried 6.2.9 yet?
Old 20 December 2019, 13:38   #18
Ferry

Quote:
Thanks. What is your source of data regarding the synchronous transfer issues? Just anecdotal observations? Have you tried 6.2.9 yet?
Yes, observation and trial and error. Several other people have confirmed the same on other setups, so looks like a consistent result. I did not try v6.2.9, others did, same result. Rolling back to v6.2.5 seems to solve some issues. And someone contacted the author and he's doing tests and checking what can be wrong.

There are two threads talking about the very same issue, my recommendation would be to unify both in one, and since the other one is longer and with more people contributing to it, I invite you all to go there:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=94530

Read my second-to-last post there, describing some other issues with the card and copying data.

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 28 December 2019, 22:00   #19
Ferry

Quote:
Not for the internal HD mounting holes, but I made a box that maybe you can use or adapt:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4072201

Saluditos,

Ferrán.
Old 05 April 2020, 20:01   #20
E-Penguin
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
I've designed ones for the A2000 and A2091\A590. I could probably knock one up for the A1200 HD cradle.
Sorry for dragging up this old thread, but could you share your A590 cradle for the scsi2sd? I have a v5 but presumably it's the interface with the A590 that's the tricky part.