English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 29 October 2017, 20:56   #81
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by btwins View Post
If there isn't enough support for the Amiga version then probably combining a retro version with the Kickstarter might help.
Have you really read this thread? The actual OPPOSITE is what people are calling for. Nobody interested in the Amiga version will get a version for whatever other platform!

And what would the advantage be of having a "native" Mac/PC/Linux shovelware version, if you can run the AMiga version in an emulator??
Old 29 October 2017, 21:55   #82
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Have you really read this thread? The actual OPPOSITE is what people are calling for.
...nope, clearly not; or any of the other multiple threads here for over a decade now!!!

Not to mention, numerous emails sent from various members without bothering to even have to decency to reply...
Old 29 October 2017, 23:32   #83
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's all about the money. We should know this by now (or since 10 years to be honest). There is no other compromise for him as it seems. Thus he is ignoring the well-intentioned hints.
Old 29 October 2017, 23:57   #84
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro-nerd View Post
it's all about the money. We should know this by now (or since 10 years to be honest). There is no other compromise for him as it seems. Thus he is ignoring the well-intentioned hints.
+1
Old 30 October 2017, 00:16   #85
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Actually there is nothing wrong in making money. But consindering that Amiga boxed games are already a niche in a niche market, it's very naive to think you can squeeze solid money out of an unknown game like Babylonian Twins via Kickstarter. Even a potential blockbuster like Turrican 4 or Lionheart 2 wouldn't sell more than a few hundred copies.

If you push things a digital download could be arranged in probably 1-2 weeks and a limited boxed version in app. 3 month seems realistic (assuming the game is really 100% playable yet). But the profit wouldn't be satisfying enough for him.

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 30 October 2017 at 00:38.
Old 30 October 2017, 07:13   #86
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Assuming the author continues to ignore the voices here, makes a kickstarter which fails to meet the target, then what happens? Amiga users get shat on again? Another kickstarter attempt in 5 years with the promise of getting the Amiga version released if it succeeds? This is bloody madness and we're just going around in circles here.
Old 30 October 2017, 10:45   #87
Gaula92

Babylonian Twins is the Amiga Duke Nukem Forever. I don't know if I am the first to make this bad joke
Old 30 October 2017, 10:56   #88
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

In my opinion this game should simply be ignored. I pretty much doubt there ever will be an Amiga release anyway.
Old 30 October 2017, 11:30   #89
wanderer
I want an A1000

I hope the creator realises he needs to separate the old Amiga version from all other versions. As other mentioned, there's no point in first releasing an emulated Amiga version for other systems. It is a bad move and you will upset both Amiga users and everyone else who might be interested in a modern version.

Suggestion: release/sell the Amiga version first (it's long overdue...), and then you can start working on updated versions for other systems (perhaps based on the mobile version, or make a new one) and why not, including a modern version for new Amiga systems.
Old 30 October 2017, 12:41   #90
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
Assuming the author continues to ignore the voices here, makes a kickstarter which fails to meet the target, then what happens? Amiga users get shat on again? Another kickstarter attempt in 5 years with the promise of getting the Amiga version released if it succeeds? This is bloody madness and we're just going around in circles here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
In my opinion this game should simply be ignored. I pretty much doubt there ever will be an Amiga release anyway.
This precisely what I think will happen and why I'm now ignoring this altogether. As far as I stand, Babylonian Twins doesn't exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
(...) Suggestion: release/sell the Amiga version first (it's long overdue...), and then you can start working on updated versions for other systems (perhaps based on the mobile version, or make a new one) and why not, including a modern version for new Amiga systems.
That has been suggested already. The problem here is that he is stubborn and doesn't want to hear any of us. He wants to make as much money out of this as he possibly can. He is never going to give us the game.
Old 30 October 2017, 15:32   #91
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
If you push things a digital download could be arranged in probably 1-2 weeks and a limited boxed version in app. 3 month seems realistic (assuming the game is really 100% playable yet). But the profit wouldn't be satisfying enough for him.
Agreed. I also don't think making money out of this is a bad thing on its own. It's the blatant disregard for what people actually want and the unrealistic goal set for the monetary retribution that is annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I agree with this too. Let's just forget about the damn thing. It's NOT another Putty Squad! Let it sink into oblivion if it won't be released in the way the actual market, no matter how niche it is, wants it.
Old 06 November 2017, 19:13   #92
AmigaBoy

This still hasn't been released? I'd honestly forgotten about it.

If money needs to be made, make money. Launch the Kickstarter. The Kickstarter does not have to be a strictly PC/Mac/Linux only affair. My suggestion, if the developer is still lurking about, would be something similar to:

$1 - Show of support (every Kickstarter has one of these)
$10 - Amiga version download (or whatever price is decided)
$20 - Amiga version boxed (or whatever price is decided)
$20 - PC/Mac/Linux version Steam key (or whatever price is decided)

and so on.

The Amiga community gets what they want (Amiga version).
The modern system community get what they want (Steam version).
The developers get what they want (Compensation for their work).

If an Amiga user wants the modern version, they can back multiple tiers.
If the developer wants to be even nicer, create a discount tier for ordering both the Amiga and modern versions (eg. $25 for both downloads, a saving of $5).

Give the modern version HD graphics + sound and keep the Amiga version as-is. That's extra incentive for someone to buy both versions.

Working out bugs and so on is not an issue as there's a lot of talented guys around that'll help debug. There's also playtesters galore lurking all over Amiga forums.

This game can be released, and be released really quickly. It just needs proper planning.