English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 08 January 2011, 02:34   #1481
magnetic
Banned

Its quite amusing that 2 of the top amiga hardware guys still designing hardware are telling people over and over NOT to OC. (even silkscreened on the circuit board) and they STILL insist on doing it.. amazing...

ps I was going to get an aca 1230 and I'm hearing of reliablity problems???
Old 08 January 2011, 03:05   #1482
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic View Post
ps I was going to get an aca 1230 and I'm hearing of reliablity problems???
Where?

There have only been motherboard timing issues.
Old 08 January 2011, 03:40   #1483
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
There have only been motherboard timing issues.
I'm guessing that's what he was talking about.
That and the people who have problems until they get ACATUNE working properly.

If you just catch glimpses of the thread (and it's huge), I can see people getting that impression.

btw....

My ACA1230/28 arrived today!!!!!!!!

YEAY!

It's a thing of beauty!!!!

I haven't installed it yet..

It was a crazy week/day and I'm beat...
Also, I have 3.0 kickstart, so I have to make sure I get ACATUNE ready to go before I install the card. (Well, HAVE TO might be to strong, but I want to)..

(Too crazy at work to install Amiga hardware?? I know, but I've been working on convincing Hitachi that the error my OSes are seeing aren't OS issues. They are SAN issues!! Finally got them to admit it, so at least we ended on a good point, with them looking at DUMPS to now tell us why..)

desiv

p.s. Did I mention, I GOT MY ACA1230!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08 January 2011, 03:42   #1484
Cosmos
Banned

@Oliver_A

Keep relax, man... I only wanna say that theory is theory (datasheet), and reality is reality (40 Mhz)...

Oliver_A : You want your 68030 running at 30 Mhz = yes, perfect = don't overclock...

Gibs : You want your 68030 running at 40 Mhz = yes, perfect = overclock...

End of discuss for me about overclocking... Overclocking is safe for me, I have overclocked zillions CPUs in my life : and when a CPU freeze, I downclock a bit (some 68060 rev1 don't accept 66 Mhz, so I put 64)...
I use every days my E8400@3000 at 3600 Mhz (+ 600 Mhz) with the original fan = running fine since many months 14 hours/day and without any heat...

Old 08 January 2011, 07:15   #1485
gibs
Banned

Cosmos, I want 50Mhz !!
I'm sure that you will put a 100Mhz quartz as soon as you get one !!
Old 08 January 2011, 08:52   #1486
Cosmos
Banned

At 50 Mhz => yellow screen with a MC68030RC50 revF91C
Old 08 January 2011, 09:12   #1487
vroom6sri

Fixing the timing issue

I'm hoping to get my A1200 motherboard to a (TV) repair centre today as I am not skilled enough to try removing the capacitors myself. A few questions thought if I may:

1.) Is it safe to put the motherboard in a jiffi bag to pass to the repiar cenre? I am concerned about static, etc.

2.) Should I give them any advice on removing the caps? IE use the lowest heat possible, remove 123 first, etc.

Cheers!
Old 08 January 2011, 10:07   #1488
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroom6sri View Post
1.) Is it safe to put the motherboard in a jiffi bag to pass to the repiar cenre? I am concerned about static, etc.
Bubblewrap is fine.

Quote:
2.) Should I give them any advice on removing the caps? IE use the lowest heat possible, remove 123 first, etc.
Just remove the caps, no special order and no special temperature. If it's a TV repair place, they'll know what to do.

The most important advice is when it's back in your place: Let it warm up before you power up. If you get it back in the house, it'll be cold enough to collect humidity. It may take up to two hours until the board has warmed up to room temperature and humidity is totally gone.

Jens
Old 08 January 2011, 10:26   #1489
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
Bubblewrap is fine.
Should it not be the pink variety?
Old 08 January 2011, 10:28   #1490
PulsatingQuasar

Quote:
I'm hoping to get my A1200 motherboard to a (TV) repair centre today as I am not skilled enough to try removing the capacitors myself. A few questions thought if I may:

Cheers!
The only thing they need to do is if they have found a capacitor that has leaked to clean it up good, repair the traces and check afterwards if the via's and traces are still good.

I have an Amiga 1200 where a capacitor has leaked, killed a via and made part of a trace black. So I scraped of the black and put solder on it to protect the trace from corrosion.
Old 08 January 2011, 11:21   #1491
Schoenfeld
electricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Should it not be the pink variety?
Right, that's the anti-static stuff, but I take it that it'll be packed in his house and unpacked at a safe workstation. The A1200 is safe for human body model discharge AFAIK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsatingQuasar View Post
The only thing they need to do is if they have found a capacitor that has leaked to clean it up good, repair the traces and check afterwards if the via's and traces are still good.

I have an Amiga 1200 where a capacitor has leaked, killed a via and made part of a trace black. So I scraped of the black and put solder on it to protect the trace from corrosion.
You're talking about a different thing - the electrolytic caps. However, vroom6sri's problem is related to a false installation of timing-caps on the bottom side of the A1200. Please refer to my earlier post for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
At 50 Mhz => yellow screen with a MC68030RC50 revF91C
Yellow screen indicates memory problem in the Z3 autoconfig card.

Now here's another bad thing you've done: On removing the CPU, you should have noticed that there's a blue distance-element in the center of the PGA socket. This distance element makes sure that the CPU will reach the heatsink at the top, and the precision of the thing makes sure that the board won't be bent when the heatsink is mounted.

The ceramic CPU has different mechanical dimensions and therefore requires a different distance-element. Further, the heat transfer pad has a dimension of 0.15mm, and slightly less than that under the pressure from the heatsink. Your thermal grease practically has zero dimension and therefore does not ensure proper thermal conduction between CPU and heatsink. This essentially makes the heatsink a thermal insulator, because it does not take the heat, but also keeps air from surrounding the processor.

You may have a part-time operational, overclocked unit, but you've made all the mistakes in the book, including arguing with non-scientific points. Still so proud of your work? Again, we highly recommend to keep everything as we've designed it. We've put quite some thought into every single bit of the card - hardware design, mechanical design and software options. As Oliver pointed out, we've done extensive stability tests over a much longer period than you even own the card, and for weeks, we've overlooked a severe error in the memory controller. Trust me, you're out of spec, and I highly recommend to go back to normal clocking if you want reliable memory.

Jens
Old 08 January 2011, 11:36   #1492
Cosmos
Banned

Oh là là là... I can't go back at 25 now !!
Old 08 January 2011, 11:38   #1493
zipper

If you want speed from a 68000 machine, do like I did - towered my A500 and put a Blizzard 2060@57 MHz and RTG to run rings round standard A4000...
Old 08 January 2011, 12:15   #1494
Cosmos
Banned

Héhé zipper, excellent !

(ACA630 overclocking is removed on my Blog)
Old 08 January 2011, 12:49   #1495
gibs
Banned

Finally I got my board today

Question : The Individual Computers cup was for Premium customers ? or it was distributed randomly ?
Old 08 January 2011, 12:55   #1496
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
Finally I got my board today

Question : The Individual Computers cup was for Premium customers ? or it was distributed randomly ?
I think, he had one from before and just stuck it in the picture for show.
Old 08 January 2011, 13:24   #1497
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

FOL stop lying... All know about "Legendary" account status @ AmigaKit that you give for free extra stuff like accelerator and tickets for AmigaKit's pr0n shows!
Old 08 January 2011, 13:30   #1498
gibs
Banned

ahaha great

Well I have just plugged this little beast, and I knew that it wasn't designed to run with a floppy drive...

We thought it was about space design and some of you were advicing to replace the floppy drive by the HxC emulator.

Well...I have just tried my HxC on it, and it doesn't works.
Anybody else has tried with the HxC ?
Tried with a real floppy drive (even outside) ?

hmm hmm
Old 08 January 2011, 13:37   #1499
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibs View Post
I knew that it wasn't designed to run with a floppy drive...
HUH??

It works fine with Internal Floppy.
Been using mine fine since 24th December.

The Indivision ECS is the only reason the floppy needs removing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfilos View Post
FOL stop lying... All know about "Legendary" account status @ AmigaKit that you give for free extra stuff like accelerator and tickets for AmigaKit's pr0n shows!
Dont be silly, not even Im allowed a cup, .
Old 08 January 2011, 13:42   #1500
gibs
Banned

FOL

Yep sorry, the space is for the Indy.

From what I can remember on this thread Jens said that he didn't knew if the board was working with the HxC...

Anyone has tried ?