English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.CD32 Conversion

Old 18 September 2019, 13:07   #401
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Besides unticking "SCSI 2 - 6", I noticed that you've also now ticked "Direct transfers".
I tested POP2 twice but skill kept skipping the cutscene between level 1 / 2

Yeah, I'm experimenting with these checkboxes, I didn't say

So, one thing that is different is that I ran ShapeShifter from my rather bloated ClassicWB installation rather than from the compilation. I usually work with that Workbench for copying files/text editing etc.
However the cutscene definitely appeared when I started messing with the SCSI checkboxes.
So it could be a combination of both the different Workbench and the scsi settings.

ClassicWB loads up quite a lot of things by default out of which I have many disabled.. I can perhaps look into what gets loaded / share my startup-sequence & user-startup from it. Or maybe share the whole CF card image but that's 8GB and sounds like overkill

Quote:
Move / click the <Left Mouse Button> on the "Menu Bar" --> "File"

like that
Old 18 September 2019, 13:39   #402
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wairnair View Post
Yeah, I'm experimenting with these checkboxes, I didn't say

So, one thing that is different is that I ran ShapeShifter from my rather bloated ClassicWB installation rather than from the compilation. I usually work with that Workbench for copying files/text editing etc.
However the cutscene definitely appeared when I started messing with the SCSI checkboxes.
So it could be a combination of both the different Workbench and the scsi settings.

ClassicWB loads up quite a lot of things by default out of which I have many disabled.. I can perhaps look into what gets loaded / share my startup-sequence & user-startup from it. Or maybe share the whole CF card image but that's 8GB and sounds like overkill
I mean, I can try running POP2 from "ClassicWB Lite 3.1" but it seems like a bit of overkill...

Have you ever seen the cutscene when not using a ClassicWB setup?

Quote:
like that
Ok, good to know. Was just trying to see if my methods of "kicking the game back into life" were responsible for the cutscene being skipped.

Last edited by DamienD; 18 September 2019 at 14:15.
Old 18 September 2019, 15:06   #403
wairnair

Quote:
Have you ever seen the cutscene when not using a ClassicWB setup?

not yet. not many tries though. I'll play with it a bit more tonight, see if I can get the nice choppiness that results in a cutscene
Old 18 September 2019, 15:07   #404
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
not yet. not many tries though
...and running from a ClassicWB setup; how many times would you say you see the cutscene e.g. 5 out of 10?
Old 18 September 2019, 15:44   #405
wairnair

Quote:
...and running from a ClassicWB setup; how many times would you say you see the cutscene e.g. 5 out of 10?

it was actually like 4 out of 5
Old 18 September 2019, 16:19   #406
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
it was actually like 4 out of 5
Wow, that's very decent indeed

Anyway, will play around tonight... I'm determined to find out how to get this running better
Old 18 September 2019, 19:51   #407
DamienD
Banned

Good news wairnair!!!

I know what the issue is with my .HDFs and what's needed to get these cutscenes sometimes working

I had a hunch yesterday after reading somewhere on the internet and also noticing something in your "ShapeShifter Prefs" file...

The answer is installing AHI.

Gave it a try on my POP2 .HDF and first attempt I saw the cutscene

The problem is that it's sooooo damn random. For example, like you say, with the first 10 seconds of the game there is audio stuttering / slowdowns. This then calms, if I complete the level, jump onto the ship then I don't have to do anything i.e. the cutscene just plays.

If however, when I start the game and die before making it to the ship, the start of the level doesn't have audio stuttering / slowdowns anymore but when I jump onto the ship the cutscene won't play automatically so I have to click <Left Mouse Button> on the menu, then the game sits there until I click the <Left Mouse Button> again, but then skips the cutscene
Old 18 September 2019, 20:15   #408
wairnair

great work haha

ClassicWB has AHI installed and I was fooling around with that setting too. Maybe I changed the scsi settings at the same time.

Ok, so now we know. Don't die if you want cutscenes!

(could we reach out to Christian to look into this..?)
Old 18 September 2019, 20:21   #409
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by thairacerjp View Post
Hi ! i have sent email to the author of shapeshifter but on in his website it's not clear, I sent to christianbauer@cebit.net but is it ok ? did he answer you ?
cause I don't understand why some images iso/toast/img
working and other not ..... with basilisk all image working but I like shapeshifter, really stable .
from his website:
"If you feel the urge to send me email, send it to my initials at cebix dot net."

so I guess it's cb at cebix dot net (it's also not cebit but cebix)
Old 18 September 2019, 21:21   #410
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
great work haha

ClassicWB has AHI installed and I was fooling around with that setting too. Maybe I changed the scsi settings at the same time.

Ok, so now we know. Don't die if you want cutscenes!

(could we reach out to Christian to look into this..?)
You know, I made that change and tested 15+ times but really the game is impacted too much for my liking...

I'm going to leave everything how it was i.e. without AHI installed.

Ok, so I don't see the cutscene between level 1 / 2 but I also don't have the flakey 15 - 20 seconds when the game begins. The cutscene is sooooo random for me anyway. Gameplay is more important

I'm also hoping that this will only be the level 1 / 2 cutscene that is affected / not shown. I mean, the intro plays fine so...

Problem is, I'm not good enough to get past level 2 so I can't test the above theory; but anyway.
Old 18 September 2019, 23:41   #411
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
i don't try 1.1, but i'll do it soon. But where is 1.1? on Mac Garden there is only 1.08
i at last try 1.1 with starterdisk and me too i have the message of install quicktime using "replay introduction". With my 7.5.5 it works perfectly. But of course you have resolved with bigger MacOS hardfile.
Old 19 September 2019, 05:20   #412
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Do you mean that you don't have the intro scene ???
Because i tested it and i have it !!!

Quote:
You know, I made that change and tested 15+ times but really the game is impacted too much for my liking...

Ok, so I don't see the cutscene between level 1 / 2 but I also don't have the flakey 15 - 20 seconds when the game begins. The cutscene is sooooo random for me anyway. Gameplay is more important

I'm also hoping that this will only be the level 1 / 2 cutscene that is affected / not shown. I mean, the intro plays fine so...

Problem is, I'm not good enough to get past level 2 so I can't test the above theory; but anyway.
Old 19 September 2019, 09:21   #413
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Do you mean that you don't have the intro scene ???
Because i tested it and i have it !!!
Read the numerous posts on the subject more carefully...

The cutscene "after level 1 / before level 2 starts" doesn't show / gets skipped if you don't have AHI installed.
Old 19 September 2019, 17:12   #414
wairnair

Quote:

Yeah I agree

Besides, under Basilisk II it has continous background music that is missing altogether under ShapeShifter. Too bad - I was most interested in POP2 because 1) the mac version looks best 2) there's no amiga version.

I guess we'll just move on
Old 19 September 2019, 18:02   #415
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Maybe it really is worth trying Basilisk II 68k.
Old 19 September 2019, 19:10   #416
wairnair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
Maybe it really is worth trying Basilisk II 68k.
I did. It's slow, doesn't want to run full screen and has less graphics options. Looking at the source it's been abandoned long ago. Other ports e. g. Win/Unix are much more recent.
Haven't looked at its cmd line params though. Maybe cmd line has more options than the gui.
Old 19 September 2019, 19:49   #417
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Can you upload Baslisk II 68 k ready to run ?

And Finally bit hard to follow what are the final recommended POP2 ShapeShifter options for best results and what happens when using AHI drivers etc and what's still not working etc?

Does anyone know if Prince of Person 2 runs under Fusion?
Old 19 September 2019, 20:16   #418
wairnair

Quote:
Can you upload Baslisk II 68 k ready to run ?
in the Zone. You'll have to setup disk1 to _OS.hfv, disk2 to POP2 hfv, and the ROM (don't know where it saves its config). They're all in the archive.

Quote:
And Finally bit hard to follow what are the final recommended POP2 ShapeShifter options for best results and what happens when using AHI drivers etc and what's still not working etc?
MuEVD 640x480, AHI driver ON. Maybe SCSI settings: Summer mode+Apple hard disk emulation. That's about it.
There's a ShapeShifter cfg attached if you read back a little. hint: page 20 "POP2Stuff"

Quote:
Does anyone know if Prince of Person 2 runs under Fusion?
Haven't tried, but it's not free right?
Old 19 September 2019, 20:48   #419
Retro1234
Phone Homer

Thank you for Baslisk II thats brilliant

No Fusion isn't free but just curious if it runs.
I believe A-Max IV is free but don't think it's easy to do 256 graphics.

Ok so what's still not working in POP2 with those options.
Old 19 September 2019, 20:54   #420
wairnair

Quote:
Ok so what's still not working in POP2 with those options.
no music during game, choppy for ~30 secs when game starts, if you die just once the cutscene between level 1 and 2 is skipped, choppy when you die and respawn. occasionally crashes, anywhere.