English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 13 January 2006, 00:13   #1
Crackersixx

A1200(040/32m) WHDLoad Problems...

I have an A1200 with an Apollo 1240 (25mhz, 32M ram).

First a little history:
I installed the ClassicWB AdvSP Workbench compilation. On bootup, the machine would crash during the startup-sequence while running SetPatch. This was resolved when I replaced the 68040.library that came installed, with the one from the Apollo driver disk.

Once booted up, everything appears to be working correctly, all preinstalled software functions as expected.

I transferred a couple of the Killergorilla WHDLoad packs to the machine and extracted them (I grabbed oct. nov. dec packs).

Every single game crashes WHDLoad with some error, or just reboots the machine. After noticing a newer version of WHDLoad was released (16.3 currently installed), I went to the WHDLoad website and grabbed the latest version. (16.5). Below are a few of the errors for certain games.

Aliex: Dos-Error #205 (object not found) on reading "DIsh.1"

Death Knights of Krynn: Illegal Returncode #15728664

Pinball Fantasies AGA: Error in OS emulation module. Subsystem: devs:kickstarts/kick40068.a.1200.rtb Error number: $A=10

Renegades: Dos-Error #205 (object not found) on reading "hntpo"

The dos-error messages are misspellings of the files included in the game archive and change each time the game is launched. If I launch renegades once, then after it crashes, launch it again, I get two different variations of the misspelling (but obviously the same file misspelled).

Example:
"intro" a file in the archive
"hntpo" First launch error
"intpo" Second launch

I dont know where to start with diagnosing this since there are numerous different error messages depending on the game. And some just outright reboot the machine.

So far I am only experiencing odd behavior with WHDLoad, other software on the system seems fine.

Any help?
Old 13 January 2006, 02:12   #2
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Some thoughts:

1. Are you a registered WHDLoad user?

2. Are you using a pirated keyfile? Dodgy keys cause internal corruption.

3. Does a very old small game (preferably a single file game like Digger or Bob's Garden) work? Try running either of the above games with WHDLoad 10.x (available in the older/beta versions link on the main site)

4. Is there some virus on your computer that is intercepting dos.library and screwing around with it (hence the dodgy filenames)?

5. Is the memory in your Amiga 100%? See if you can get a memory testing program that writes to all mem and reads back the results checking if they're OK. Although if other software isn't causing problems this seems a bit strange.
Old 13 January 2006, 02:36   #3
Crackersixx

Not a registered WHDLoad user, and not using any sort of key. Just running unregged atm.

I doubt there is any virus as I havent done much with the computer. I just recently got all the parts I needed in order to use it. I will however, get a virus checker (VirusZ?) and give it a scan.

I will also check the memory. Thanks for your suggestions Codetapper, I'll post back with any results.
Old 13 January 2006, 06:05   #4
Crackersixx

Well, memory tests are clean, no virus' either.

I did figure out the problem however. For some reason I am unable to edit icon tooltypes. I can add new tooltypes all I want, but they dont save.

I booted with my 3.1 workbench disk and was able to edit a tooltype that way. I added "nocache" and all the problems went away.

So I guess something is wrong with my ClassicWB install as it wont let me edit the tooltypes.

Time to visit the ClassicWB forum and see what may be wrong.
Old 13 January 2006, 08:09   #5
keropi

why don't u install yourself os3,9 ????
Old 13 January 2006, 17:42   #6
Crackersixx

I'm mostly concerned with compatability and I havent looked at 3.9 much.

Care to point out if there are any major concerns with it in the compatability department?
Old 13 January 2006, 18:08   #7
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
use nommu whd feature

040 is worst proc for gaming
Old 13 January 2006, 21:22   #8
Bloodwych

Quote:
I did figure out the problem however. For some reason I am unable to edit icon tooltypes. I can add new tooltypes all I want, but they dont save.

I booted with my 3.1 workbench disk and was able to edit a tooltype that way. I added "nocache" and all the problems went away.

So I guess something is wrong with my ClassicWB install as it wont let me edit the tooltypes.
Thanks for using the ClassicWB.

No problems with tool types saving at my end - in WinUAE or on a real Amiga.

Are you sure you're hitting return after editing a (new) tooltype? Scalos has a slightly different requester than standard workbench, more powerful. In other words: you add a new tooltype, select it, edit it and then hit return before you save? If you don't hit return it won't add it to the list and ignore your changes.

OR.....

Did you copy all the ClassicWB files to a CD in an unarchived state, then left them in read only mode when transferring them over to your Amiga's HD?

Never heard of this problem before and I'm sure people would have picked up on it straight away. The packs actually have 16.4 installed. I'm waiting to update to 16.5 after people report no issues with it.

Also, when adding options for your 040 remember you don't have to change the tooltype of EVERY WHDload icon. Just edit the main config file (WHDloadprefs found in the "locale/help/whdload" directory) and drop it in the S directory. All icons will then use these settings!

Last edited by Bloodwych; 13 January 2006 at 21:40.
Old 14 January 2006, 04:00   #9
Crackersixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych

Are you sure you're hitting return after editing a (new) tooltype? Scalos has a slightly different requester than standard workbench, more powerful. In other words: you add a new tooltype, select it, edit it and then hit return before you save? If you don't hit return it won't add it to the list and ignore your changes.
I'm retarded i guess I was pressing the New button to get a new entry in the list first, then changing it and pressing save (without hitting enter first)... Thanks tons, works like a charm now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych
Also, when adding options for your 040 remember you don't have to change the tooltype of EVERY WHDload icon. Just edit the main config file (WHDloadprefs found in the "locale/help/whdload" directory) and drop it in the S directory. All icons will then use these settings!
Thanks for this tip heh, because it really seems that nocache is required for all of the games.
(After looking at this option it seems "NoCache" is not available as a global setting that can be used in the prefs file, doh!)

PS - Great work on CWB. Looks great...

Thanks for the help everyone

Last edited by Crackersixx; 14 January 2006 at 04:26.
Old 14 January 2006, 10:27   #10
Bloodwych

Hmmm. I'd check with the WHDload peeps if it's possible to add such an option in the global prefs. Perhaps it just hasn't been listed but is available? If it's required 040 processors, it should be there!

I remember someone in the past posting a thread about setting up whdload games on 040's, so it might be worth doing a search.
Old 16 January 2006, 12:36   #11
Wepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackersixx
I have an A1200 with an Apollo 1240 (25mhz, 32M ram).

Aliex: Dos-Error #205 (object not found) on reading "DIsh.1"

Death Knights of Krynn: Illegal Returncode #15728664

Pinball Fantasies AGA: Error in OS emulation module. Subsystem: devs:kickstarts/kick40068.a.1200.rtb Error number: $A=10

Renegades: Dos-Error #205 (object not found) on reading "hntpo"

The dos-error messages are misspellings of the files included in the game archive and change each time the game is launched. If I launch renegades once, then after it crashes, launch it again, I get two different variations of the misspelling (but obviously the same file misspelled).

Example:
"intro" a file in the archive
"hntpo" First launch error
"intpo" Second launch

So far I am only experiencing odd behavior with WHDLoad, other software on the system seems fine.
This sounds like a hardware problem for me. For example broken memory. WHDLoad allocates memory from the top of the memory. Maybe one module is broken and other sw is not affected because uses only different memory regions.
Try some memtest programs (there are several on aminet) and check your memory.