English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 28 March 2014, 14:22   #1
Vexar

Amiga ACBM files

Hello,
I'm on an epic quest to recover artwork from 1987. I have the original files. I have copied them off my Amiga floppy diskettes, and I think they are in one piece, but several of the files don't load at all in DeluxePaint. This tells me they are somehow terribly corrupt, OR they are Amiga ACBM, which fits because they were part of my early learning experience writing games.
Although I have a working Amiga 2000, I'd prefer to not use it since it is not in my office and hooked up to the television, and I feel like it is on borrowed time. I have the FS-UAE emulator, which works great on my 8-core Intel processor (Yay Frode!).
Does anyone have advice on simply recovering the artwork? It would mean a lot to me to complete this, and to an old friend of mine who contributed to the artwork. Believe me, this artwork has purely sentimental value, although I think as a collection, a few folks might find it funny.
I can code, but these days, I'd prefer a starting point.
-Vexar
Old 28 March 2014, 15:30   #2
thomas

IIRC ACBM is very similar to ILBM. The only differences are that ACBM is not compressed and bitplanes are not interleaved but one after the other.

Should be easy to write a converter. A converter from ILBM to ACBM comes with AmigaBasic (with source code), so the other direction shouldn't be a problem, too.
Old 28 March 2014, 16:00   #3
mark_k

It's probably already possible to convert ACBM files to a different format. There's an ACBM datatype on Aminet for example.

SView5 can probably handle ACBM images too.

Also try searching Aminet for ACBM.
Old 28 March 2014, 16:25   #4
thomas

Here is a simple command line converter:

Edit: changed the last few bits to make it portable to little-endian machines and corrected the final size calculation
Attached Files
File Type: lha a2i.lha (7.5 KB, 98 views)

Last edited by thomas; 29 March 2014 at 09:14.
Old 28 March 2014, 18:57   #5
Vexar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Here is a simple command line converter:

Thank you, Thomas! Did you write this? It works and it is all I needed. I appreciate you including the source code, I can follow what's going on in it. I thought it would be more complicated for some reason...

This makes 20 hours of floppy disk migration and recovery worthwhile!
Old 28 March 2014, 19:30   #6
thomas

Quote:
Did you write this?
Yes, right between my two postings.
Old 28 March 2014, 22:27   #7
Leffmann

He's a real coding-machine, this Thomas Check out his personal web page, it has lots of useful tools and snippets of code to study.