English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 19 January 2008, 12:30   #1
laffer
Zone Friend

Amiga vs PC (DOS) 2 video

First off, I'll put the link to both vids here so if any mods read this, feel free to delete the other threads regarding this stuff

I finished the second Amiga vs PC video just now and I think perhaps some people will think this one is too "Amiga biased" as well but at least there are no CGA games in it

Here's the link -

[ Show youtube player ]

And here's the old one (from the other thread) -
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 19 January 2008, 12:41   #2
viddi

Hi laffer.

Another nice video.

I´d like to see a third one.
Old 19 January 2008, 13:08   #3
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

Great vid laffer.

A more 'fair' comparison..? Maybe so, but generally miggy still wins.
(liked the previous vid too)

License to Kill:
Does [ Show youtube player ] seem familiar to anyone, or is it just me..?
Old 19 January 2008, 13:23   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

Do an Amiga vs SNES video, I dare you
Old 19 January 2008, 14:30   #5
keropi

I like it!
Old 19 January 2008, 15:55   #6
NLS
Ancient User

Ian why should he make a console vs. a computer video?

I dare him include... SNES OS too. :P
Old 19 January 2008, 17:51   #7
paranoid
Phone Zen

Great video.. Better than the first, and seemed to be comparing apples to apples, even without the expensive sound card. (Well comparing sweet juicy Amiga apples, to wormy rotten PC apples.. )

And really, that remains an issue today. What's a stock PC? What makes the most of some kind of hardware, what just demands more expensive cards? (This is why I've never liked PC demos, but that's an aside..) When you get an Amiga, you get Amiga graphics, sound, all that, period.

Anyway, very cool video. Even when the games were quite similar, often the Amiga version had something extra (Aaargh's little people running around comes to mind).
Old 19 January 2008, 23:43   #8
laffer
Zone Friend

Thanks for the comments

Yeah, I tried to use a few more recent PC games in this video as opposed to the other one where I used CGA games even

I still think the Amiga ends up looking better in this video as well though

I'm more happy with this one than the previous one.. I think this one is better paced and has a better opening/ending than the previous one. And I included the years as someone here suggested.
Old 20 January 2008, 04:16   #9
laffer
Zone Friend

You can watch the video in much better quality here -

http://recordedamigagames.ath.cx/mod...nk.php?lid=223

Requires a recent version of flash though.
Old 20 January 2008, 17:12   #10
plasmatron
Zone Friend

I really like your works m8. Looking forward to the next ones.
Old 23 January 2008, 23:48   #11
Interceptor

totally pointless vid. its easy to make the amiga appear better when you use a different pc config.

i notice we had to step up to AGA amiga for aladdin, but EGA before that to make the amiga look better.

at least the amiga vs st one was consistent. the amiga started better and was overtaken by the pc in time, thats the truth and this vid doesnt reflect that at all. if it were a good vid then i think it'd reflect that in some chronological order.

i dont see DOOM on there comparing a decent VGA pc vs the amiga. i dont see syndicate on there with the pc giving the amiga a good spanking either.

F1GP, pc version much better....
Old 24 January 2008, 00:00   #12
laffer
Zone Friend

I used the AGA version of Aladdin and the VGA version of the PC version of Aladdin. And I specified which versions I used in the video. What is unfair about that?

You want me to use modern (at the time of release of the games) PCs and not use the most up to date Amiga versions?

And as far as I know, Doom was never released on the Amiga until much later when it was ported by fans.

I did not include Syndicate, that's your only valid complaint. I never gave the impression that this is in any way chronological and I gave the dates for all the games so there is no confusion about that.

If you think the only way for a comparison video to be fair is to include games from the very end of a machines' lifetime and compare them to versions of the game running on much newer computers, then fine.. but I disagree. Syndicate was released in 1993 btw, it's impressive that the by then ancient Amiga could even run it as well as it did.

Last edited by laffer; 24 January 2008 at 00:24.
Old 24 January 2008, 00:21   #13
Interceptor

it IS well presented.

but it gives me the impression of only trying to prove the amiga was better than the pc. but in my opinion its pointless as the pc was constantly evolving and always a different machine in itself. the fact you menion how amazing it is that in 1993 the amiga even runs syndicate just furthers my opinion that you're trying to to prove the above point. in 1989 most pc versions sucked, so lets show lots of those, by 1993 the amiga versions usually sucked more, so lets only show one game where an aga version negates that.

i'm happy you disagree, thats fine. i'm not going to argue with you about it. other people here have expressed their opinion that they love it. i have expressed mine that i dont for the above reasons, whether i'm right or wrong. thats all.
Old 24 January 2008, 00:26   #14
laffer
Zone Friend

Thank you

Well, the Amiga was better than the PC when it was released, for games anyway.. I think that's pretty much a fact?
And it was damn impressive in the following years.. naturally, near the end of its life, it could not keep up with constantly evolving computers.

And yeah, I do include many games from around the middle of the Amigas lifetime and I think doing so is very fair and gives the most correct impression of how cool the Amiga was back then

EDIT - btw, I agree that the Amiga/ST video is awesome!
Old 24 January 2008, 06:43   #15
oneshotdead

great vid, laffer.

The Amiga is a beautiful flower; the PC an ugly vine.
Old 24 January 2008, 16:51   #16
laffer
Zone Friend

Hehe, I wouldn't go so far.. as that other guy said, the PC did become great for games later on. But in the first years after the release of the Amiga, it was damn amazing compared to the PC and other computers on the market.
That was what I wanted to show in this video basically.. why people who owned an Amiga back then were so impressed by it and why people still regard it as such a fantastic machine. It was really something else back then.

I felt that showing a lot of the very latest games released on the machine and compare them to games running on, back then, modern PCs, would give the wrong impression. People who never used an Amiga and don't know anything about it might get the impression that the Amiga wasn't much better at all than the PC when it came to games.. and it certainly was for some time.

It would naturally be easy to make the PC appear better than the Amiga at games by mostly including games from when the Amiga started lagging behind but in my opinion, this would have given the wrong impression.

This video gives a pretty accurate feel of how I felt about the Amiga back in those days and I feel that including games from the "golden age" of the machine makes for a good impression.

But perhaps I should make a video including only games from 1993 and from there and show how the PC caught up and bypassed the Amiga eventually? Could be interesting.
Old 24 January 2008, 20:50   #17
NLS
Ancient User

At least one of my PCs is powerful enough to run Crysis in my LCD native resolution (1680x1050) with everything in high.

BUT

This doesn't change that fact of what Amiga was (ie. great like in "greatest than anything else") and for how long it was that, WITHOUT ANY REAL development from the mother company.

It was a machine SPOT ON, from design, UNLIKE PC that for years had (and has) to fight design stupidities.

We had great graphics (like "greatest"), great sound (AGAIN like "greatest" - to ST ladies), great pre-emptive multitasking OS (that mac only got with OS X!!! and Windows only with NT and 2000 and on) with NATIVE GUI, the closest thing to parallel computing back then (with the specialized co-processors), plug-n-play from day 1, mouse and WYSIWYG from day 1 and so on.

I see Amiga concepts still copied by my "trusty windows machine". I own 3 desktop PC at home (not to mention WM machines and my office machines). I make money from PC. I spend 10+ hours a day on one. None of them ever became "my Amiga".

People that owned one know what I mean.
Old 24 January 2008, 22:39   #18
Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
At least one of my PCs is powerful enough to run Crysis in my LCD native resolution (1680x1050) with everything in high.
and my dick is so big, you're standing on it
Old 25 January 2008, 11:10   #19
NLS
Ancient User

erm if you say so
Old 25 January 2008, 12:25   #20
EmuChicken

Hooooo

lolol!
Quote:
but it gives me the impression of only trying to prove the amiga was better than the pc. but in my opinion its pointless as the pc was constantly evolving and always a different machine in itself. the fact you menion how amazing it is that in 1993 the amiga even runs syndicate just furthers my opinion that you're trying to to prove the above point. in 1989 most pc versions sucked, so lets show lots of those, by 1993 the amiga versions usually sucked more, so lets only show one game where an aga version negates that.
Thats what I was saying earlier... but you said it much better.... I guess we're looking for an honest video that does show the amiga rocking, but then losing out as time went on (due to stupidity, mainly!) .. thinking back, the Amiga actually was in the lead by FAR as it was released in, what,... as early as 1988? ... and it took at LEAST around 5 years for the IBM to catch up! ... seriously, if you're up for the task, this would be one hell of a video! (chronologically from the birth til the end of commercially created games for the amiga)