English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 March 2012, 20:39   #1
OldB0y

Napalm - no CD audio via SquirrelSCSI - Now FIXED:-)

Hi,

I've been scratching my head over this for a few days but haven't got it working:-(

I'm using an A1200 with Blizzard 1260, and a CD drive connected via a Squirrel PCMCIA SCSI interface.

For some reason I can't get Napalm to play any of the audio tracks on the CD. Other games e.g. CB's Quake, Foundation etc work fine with the Squirrel interface, as do 'emulated' CD32 games booted from CD for the most part.

Quake appears to use cd.device (the cd.device I have is the one supplied with the Squirrel for CD32 emulation), Foundation I got to work using SquirrelSCSI.device directly.

I've tried both .device's in Napalm's config tool, with the correct unit number and other numbers etc.

The audio tracks themselves are fine, and play perfectly using 'playCd' supplied with OS3.9

I have installed the latest version of Napalm I could find - 1.4, and as far as I can tell the most recent version of the Squirrel SCSI software. Anyone got any suggestions as to how I can get this working? as at the moment I'm

Okay, its not really that bad, but I'd still like to get it working!

Last edited by OldB0y; 01 April 2012 at 19:30. Reason: issue now resolved
Old 15 March 2012, 10:07   #2
PopoCop

It seems that ClickBoom games with CD audiotracks are quite hard to play I have an IDE CD-ROM with AsimCDFS and audiotracks from Napalm and T-Zer0 never work. The only way to listen to them during playing a game is to push the Play button on CD-ROM drive.
Old 15 March 2012, 10:41   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

If I remember correctly, T-Zero uses audio CD commands that have been obsolete for ages.

EDIT: Or it was using SCSI-only CD audio commands (ATAPI spec did not include all less useful old CD audio commands)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 15 March 2012 at 11:20.
Old 15 March 2012, 22:28   #4
OldB0y

Glad its not just me then. Unfortunately, my cd drive only has an eject button - no play/pause :-(

Napalm appears to use cdplayer.library - maybe thats the problem?
Old 31 March 2012, 11:49   #5
OldB0y

FIXED!!!

Unbelieveably, I have found the solution to this problem, so no more

The hint was hiding in the Squirrel scsi manual all the time. The manual states that when specifying the tool type in the cd0 device mount icon, it must be specified as DEVICE=squirrelscsi.device, and squirrelscsi.device MUST be entered as all lower case.

I've never known case sensitivity to be a particular issue on the Amiga before, but thought what the hell. I gave the same all lower case device name a try within the Napalm config script, as previously I'd usually typed it as SquirrelSCSI.device, and it actually worked!!
Old 23 May 2012, 03:40   #6
rampartsagain

hi old boy i have a squirell scsi too but i am having trouble on the config on the external drive config those back scsi drive config and on the software it self can you upload your disk to the zone? an provide me some pictires i think my cable could be bad because some times get on scsi mount software downloaded from net the adf
many thanks