English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 November 2004, 15:55   #1
Photon

Scanning my demo collection & put on the web

Hello!

I'm new here on the forum, so please tell me if I've posted in the wrong forum (or move the thread if you're an admin ).

I was a prominent demo coder in the golden (imo) era of Amiga demos, 1987 to 1991-92. As a result I have an extensive collection of demo compilation disks from that time. I have only found a very few sites hosting demos from this era, and many of them have the same "famous" demos that everyone already has, or lacks many milestone demos.

The nostalgia bug has bitten me and I thought I'd spend part of my xmas holidays scanning Amiga demos from my old 880k disks and uploading them somewhere to share with Amiga fans.

I have two questions:
1. Which is the best solution for scanning 80-100 disks efficiently? (That costs less than $100, preferably.) If it requires that a transfer program is run on the Amiga 500, how do I get the transfer program to the A500? I have Diskmaster 2.3 on Amiga disk but not Directory Opus.

2. Where can I upload the disk files?

Thanks for any help,
Henrik.
Old 24 November 2004, 21:46   #2
Photon

1. Won't work on either my W2k PC or my XP PC.

2. What is tosec?
Old 24 November 2004, 22:37   #3
bobbybearing
Zone Friend

disk2fdi work only under real ms-Dos (not win2000/xp)

tosec=The oldskool emulation center www.tosec.org

if your demos are not in tosec, perhaps new, original prods to add !

you can find adf/dms disks by themes (demos, games...)
from sites like http://www.planetemu.net (amiga -> Roms) or back2roots, pouet...
Old 25 November 2004, 00:52   #4
DPainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
1. Won't work on either my W2k PC or my XP PC.
You could use DISK2FDI under the following conditions: two floppy drives, a bootable DOS diskette, and a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted partition on which to copy the DISK2FDI dumps.

If you have a small hard drive sitting around somewhere you could format it to FAT32, etc, etc.

BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a very old Amiga music demo that used the graphics and sounds from the swordfighting game Barbarian? They used the sound effects to make a funny song.
Old 25 November 2004, 02:31   #5
mr_0rga5m
Tik Gora :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPainter
BTW, you wouldn't happen to have a very old Amiga music demo that used the graphics and sounds from the swordfighting game Barbarian? They used the sound effects to make a funny song.
You on about the ' Bar Brian demo by the Plasma Force' are you?

Excellent ol demo .. It can be found here on Pouet.net
Old 25 November 2004, 02:45   #6
DPainter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_0rga5m
You on about the ' Bar Brian demo by the Plasma Force' are you?

Excellent ol demo .. It can be found here on Pouet.net
YES, that's it! Thanks! Cool, I'm off to see it again after all these years. I'll stop hijacking this thread now.
Old 25 November 2004, 13:28   #7
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPainter
You could use DISK2FDI under the following conditions: two floppy drives, a bootable DOS diskette, and a FAT16 or FAT32 formatted partition on which to copy the DISK2FDI dumps.

If you have a small hard drive sitting around somewhere you could format it to FAT32, etc, etc.
The disk2fdi site is down. And yes, I tried both the new and old url. So I can't read up on what it is capable of.

I would really like to have my W2k or XP partition running (both FAT32) while both reading and preferably writing disks, so I won't have to repartition the disk and install Windows 98. I *really* dislike Windows 98. W2k is soo stable.

The Catweasle could do that, I suppose, and it costs 100 Euros, which is just about what I can bear. Is it the best solution? Will it throw up on read/write errors or produce an almost working .adf which gives read/write error when emulated?

Can't find any purchasing info here

http://ami.ga/news/news99_e.htm

so where can I buy it?

Last edited by Photon; 25 November 2004 at 13:30. Reason: tags
Old 25 November 2004, 13:38   #8
Photon

After a bit of searching I found this dealer:

http://www.softhut.com/cgi-bin/test/...=3774828_10590

Can anyone recommend this dealer? Is there a better price somewhere else? Will the dealer ship to Sweden? Will I need to buy something extra or can I plug in the card in my PC and stick one of my external Amiga 880kb drives in it without adapters?

Last edited by Photon; 25 November 2004 at 13:42. Reason: re-phrasing
Old 25 November 2004, 13:54   #9
BippyM
Global Moderator

For that price you cvould probs pickup an HD'd 1200, which would be an even better solution
Old 25 November 2004, 14:00   #10
Photon

Why is that? Why HD? Read all disks to the A1200 HD and then stick it into the PC? Then I would need to transfer some kind of ADF producing program into the A1200, which I can't right now.

Put an Ethernet card into the A1200. Good. But I still need to transfer the drivers for it.

Please explain how you meant!
Old 25 November 2004, 14:15   #11
BippyM
Global Moderator

You could do both

The HD can be used directly withing WinUAE

An ADF producing prog will fit on a 720kb PC disk as Transadf is less than 20-30kb, so you simply put Transadf on a disk, mount PC0: (which comes with Workbench 2.05+)on the 1200 and away you go

I am not going into details here regarding connecting a HD to winuae unless you want to take that route

Networking is simple too, just get a pcmcia network card (can't remember the exact one, but mine cost about £4GBP from ebay) and simply go down that route
Old 25 November 2004, 15:46   #12
Duke
HOL-Team

Send a message via ICQ to Duke
If you are going to buy the catweasle, wait for the MK4, it will be much improved and maybe it's even possible to use it for CAPS dumping.
Old 25 November 2004, 21:03   #13
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
You could do both

The HD can be used directly withing WinUAE
An AmigaDOS formatted harddisk stuck in a PC, that WinUAE can access? How the he**!??!
Quote:
An ADF producing prog will fit on a 720kb PC disk as Transadf is less than 20-30kb, so you simply put Transadf on a disk, mount PC0: (which comes with Workbench 2.05+)on the 1200 and away you go
Will I get WB2.05+ with my A1200 then? Otherwise I'm stuck.
Quote:
Networking is simple too, just get a pcmcia network card (can't remember the exact one, but mine cost about £4GBP from ebay) and simply go down that route
That also hinges on me getting WB 2.05+ with the A1200.

But thanks for the tips, will consider it. If you can, please respond to my doubts in this post.
Old 25 November 2004, 21:08   #14
Photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke
If you are going to buy the catweasle, wait for the MK4, it will be much improved and maybe it's even possible to use it for CAPS dumping.
I pretty much HAVE to wait for it, since MK3 is sold out. The author said MK4 would be available in October, the dealer says it will be available mid- to late November.
Old 25 November 2004, 21:20   #15
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
An AmigaDOS formatted harddisk stuck in a PC, that WinUAE can access? How the he**!??!
Will I get WB2.05+ with my A1200 then? Otherwise I'm stuck.
That also hinges on me getting WB 2.05+ with the A1200.

But thanks for the tips, will consider it. If you can, please respond to my doubts in this post.

Yes an Amiga formatted HD can be used in a PC and WinUAE can access it, do a search on these here forums for more info

An A1200 should come with WB3.0 as a minimum so that'll be fine (anything newer than wb2.05 should do the job)

you'll need to ensure a HD comes with the 1200 or simply put your own in
Old 26 November 2004, 01:20   #16
Photon

Thanks for the answers. Will a 3.5" 10GB IDE drive fit?
Old 26 November 2004, 05:12   #17
BippyM
Global Moderator

I reccomend no drive bigger than 4gb tbh, the filesystem pre 3.5 don't like bigger HDs

Someone else with more knowledge here will help, but again do a search of these forums (almost everything is answered already )