English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 14 July 2012, 21:29   #1
Mendel

Making Turrican 3 backup and writing it back to diskette.

I tried whdload version of Turrican 3 but it seems to be buggy. After defeating world 2 end boss, the one in the water, it does not explode. It just starts moving from right to left, warps back to right edge of the screen and does not make or take any damage.

I have recently purchased original Turrican 3 in a big box. I played quite a lenghty session with the original diskette and I got all the way to the alien level before I failed and ran out of lives. Basically, I think I have a good original diskette fully working... but I want to make a backup of it so as not to break it!

I tried to write an adf from my Turrican 3 original diskette using easy adf.
It only created a 5kB file which clearly can not possibly work. Is this some kind of copy protection or is something wrong with my system/floppy drive? Would making a dms file work better than adf? (don´t know how to make one yet, but I can try learning )

Also I am aware of the fact that Factor 5 has an image of the Turrican 3 floppy available for download but that one is 1,166KB even in a zip file, over 2MB in adf format... so I can´t see how that could possibly fit in a DD floppy. But really I would rather make a backup of my actual original diskette.

HALP

Last edited by Mendel; 14 July 2012 at 22:07.
Old 14 July 2012, 22:57   #2
sneeker

Its down to copy protection, thats why you cant make an adf of the original. The reason the one on factor5's website is so big is its probably an extended adf, however looking at tosec, all the versions of Turrican 3 in there are 2 disks?
Is yours just 1 disk?
Old 15 July 2012, 02:52   #3
Mendel

Rather funky copy protection, would be interesting to know how it works.

Well, anyways:

this is what I got.

It seems like manual agrees there is only "your Turrican 3 disk"... as in one disk game.

Oh by the way I did manage to get past the glitch in the whdload version by downloading the latest version. I am not sure which version I had before

Last edited by Mendel; 15 July 2012 at 03:14.
Old 15 July 2012, 04:30   #4
clauddio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendel View Post
I tried whdload version of Turrican 3 but it seems to be buggy. After defeating world 2 end boss, the one in the water, it does not explode. It just starts moving from right to left, warps back to right edge of the screen and does not make or take any damage.

I have recently purchased original Turrican 3 in a big box. I played quite a lenghty session with the original diskette and I got all the way to the alien level before I failed and ran out of lives. Basically, I think I have a good original diskette fully working... but I want to make a backup of it so as not to break it!

I tried to write an adf from my Turrican 3 original diskette using easy adf.
It only created a 5kB file which clearly can not possibly work. Is this some kind of copy protection or is something wrong with my system/floppy drive? Would making a dms file work better than adf? (don´t know how to make one yet, but I can try learning )

Also I am aware of the fact that Factor 5 has an image of the Turrican 3 floppy available for download but that one is 1,166KB even in a zip file, over 2MB in adf format... so I can´t see how that could possibly fit in a DD floppy. But really I would rather make a backup of my actual original diskette.

HALP
you can't make a backup of that disk using the amiga and a standart floppy drive because the original copy protection
you need a special device named kryoflux
you can purchase it here
http://www.kryoflux.com/
Old 15 July 2012, 10:44   #5
Mendel

Thanks! I´ll consider that. How about the backup image at the factor 5 website? http://www.factor5.de/downloads_backups.shtml
Can it be written to disk(s) somehow using just the Amiga?
Old 15 July 2012, 10:51   #6
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
The turrican 3 disk image on factor 5 website is not complete, a track is missing.
Old 15 July 2012, 13:25   #7
Mendel

Okay, that makes no sense but I´ll forget about using that one then.

So, there are both 1 disk and 2 disk versions of this game then? What are the differences between them? Does the 2 disk version contain just extra languages or is there more extra stuff?
Old 15 July 2012, 15:18   #8
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

The cracks need 2 disks because of the longtracks used in the original game. So there is more data stored than fits on a normal 880k Amiga DOS disk. Hence the 2 disks needed for cracked versions.
Old 15 July 2012, 16:02   #9
mai

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
The cracks need 2 disks because of the longtracks used in the original game. So there is more data stored than fits on a normal 880k Amiga DOS disk. Hence the 2 disks needed for cracked versions.
Some data missing in 1-disk "WT"version then?
Old 15 July 2012, 16:07   #10
BarryB
Amigaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clauddio View Post
you can't make a backup of that disk using the amiga and a standart floppy drive because the original copy protection
you need a special device named kryoflux
you can purchase it here
http://www.kryoflux.com/
Well, I have a Kryoflux so wrote SPS #0596 and #2633 back to floppy and copied both disks with Cyclone (v12.01) using Standard Nibble* mode and both disks load and play fine from the copy. Seeing as Kryoflux will write the disk back exactly as the original disk then it appears the disk 'can' be copied!

Last edited by BarryB; 15 July 2012 at 16:56. Reason: *Wrong mode stated previously!!
Old 15 July 2012, 16:14   #11
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mai View Post
Some data missing in 1-disk "WT"version then?
Did not check that version yet, quality of WT cracks is usually quite good so there's a chance that no data is missing.
Old 15 July 2012, 18:42   #12
clauddio
Banned

The WT crack of Turrican 3 is wonderful,I played it until the end on my A1200
no errors no data missing
it is like playing with the original disk
Old 11 June 2013, 20:39   #13
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
Well, I have a Kryoflux so wrote SPS #0596 and #2633 back to floppy and copied both disks with Cyclone (v12.01) using Standard Nibble* mode and both disks load and play fine from the copy. Seeing as Kryoflux will write the disk back exactly as the original disk then it appears the disk 'can' be copied!
Interesting any thoughts why that is? Why can nibble copy do it but not standard write from images?