English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 21 August 2002, 01:14   #21
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

well

Guess I will just have to work my way through this OS since instead of being helpful people instead get fired up.

Perhaps I was not accurate in portraying my feelings on the matter, the offending sentence has been removed.
what meant was Workbench is hardly as user friendly as windows is now, you may love it.. be used to it. But to me it could be much simplier to use. And I would agree that while windows is user friendly workbench is much tider. Windows is a bloated unsecure system hog but it is nice to use.

Anybody mind telling me how you change icons and actually see what your changing it to before it is done. and also where all the icons are located cos there are .info files everywhere.

Last edited by Ryan_clemens; 21 August 2002 at 01:56.
Old 21 August 2002, 02:06   #22
AdamSelene

Just so you know, I ran into that problem with the NewIcons 4.6 installation program wanting ClassAct. I couldn't find a way around it, so I resorted to using AIAB instead (on WinUAE at least)

The .info files are the icons. They have the same name as files, but an .info extension so the OS knows that they are icons. As for previewing them, I recall that you could see most (all?) of the icons from NewIcons and GlowIcons collections automatically. Or did I have some util working in the background that I forgot about? ...Hmm. Have a nosy on Aminet for one, if it don't exist there, it probably don't exist anywhere else!

As for changing one icon into another, NewIcons comes with a tool called CopyNewIcon. To use it, you need to left-click on the icon that you want to change your destination icon to, hold down the shift key, then left-click on CopyNewIcon, followed by double-left-clicking on the destination icon. Hope that helps!

Last edited by AdamSelene; 21 August 2002 at 02:15.

Old 21 August 2002, 02:55   #23
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

.info

Yeah I know the .info are icons and I started to use that copynewicon tool but thought it was pointless because I could not see what I was changing the icon to before I changed it and said.. this is dumb there is no way im sitting here searching out .infos and clicking on every single one until I get the one I want. at that point I said workbench was a mess, and got people upset. I am emulating an amiga, so I don't hate em.....
anyways I'll play around a bit more
Old 21 August 2002, 04:46   #24
Amiga1992

Re: well

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan_clemens
Guess I will just have to work my way through this OS since instead of being helpful people instead get fired up.
Sorry, but I tried to help you first hand, and you either ignored my posts or didn't make head or toes about the text. I linked you to the README FILE of Newicons where it said you dont need Classact. Frog said it too. Nevertheless you still think it was needed. At that point, I didnt want to bother again, since it seems I was not being helpful, and when you bashed the WB you struck a very important nerve

I actually do not understand what your problem is. If you want to see the icons before changing them, navigate onto the folder where you have stored your icons and take a good look at them. Once you find out the one you want, use the CopyNewIcon tool and look for its filename. Simple as cake.

I hope that solves it. There's no way you'll be able to see the icons from within the file requester.
Old 21 August 2002, 11:35   #25
Bloodwych

Just save yourself a LOAD of hassle and install my Classic WB as a starting point just as Frog said. It has loads of features that make it far more user friendly, too many to list here. The whole idea of this WB is to help people like you. Even if you don't end up using it long term, it'll show you the BEST programs to download off aminet for your own WB setup. It can be installed in WinUAE or a real Amiga, instructions provided, and will take far less time than asking loads of questions here.

Do you want double clickable LHA (& other archives), MODS, HTMLS, text files, ADFs, DMS's etc. - you got it!

Do you want icon updates seeing the source and destination - you got it!

Do you want ALL the latest and most common datatypes - you got it!

ect. ect. ect.

I could go on and on like this. Just save yourself hassle and solve all your problems. Download and install the Classic WB then come and ask questions.
Old 21 August 2002, 19:22   #26
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Bloodwych

Do you want icon updates seeing the source and destination - you got it!
As I said any WB can :P. Or are you using a special iconeditor proggie?
Old 21 August 2002, 23:52   #27
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

okok

well, maybe it didnt need it, I dunno but I could not get anywhere without installing classact so I installed the demo and everything was peachy.
looked at bloodwychs workbench, god its large.
it would not accept my wb3.1 disk so I went looking elsewhere.
always wondered why workbench setups were not just archived and stuck around, little did I know they had been I just didnt know what they were called. found aiab god I have heard of this everywhere, but did not know what it was. installed it and YUM..look nice much? this is what I wanted. almost as nice as OS 3.5. Still dont REALLY like the folder icons but hey I think I'll have a newicon for the folder and a glowicon for the exe .. SWEET.
just need to download losta icons for my games. damn some hd games are hard to find.. rare ones seem to be swiv, assassin, chaos engine, BB galactic.. nearly all my games are HD.. soon my amiga will be complete!

TILL ALL ARE ONE!
Old 22 August 2002, 00:40   #28
Bloodwych

Akira, yes it's an iconupdate proggy off aminet and supports drag n drop, Newicons and preview boxesl.

Ryan_clemens, you're emulating an Amiga in WinUAE?

We should have told you to install AIAB from the start! Glad you've found it now though. For some reason I thought you were using a real Amiga A lot of HDgames have issues with Picasso and AIAB in WinUAE so bear this in mind.

My WB is for real Amiga's with TVresolutions, something AIAB isn't any good for. And yes, it requires a WB 3.0 disk. It's large because it has everything!
Old 22 August 2002, 02:02   #29
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

picasso

I installed picasso96 some time back and found a few games that did not like it, is there going to be any updates to picasso96?
is there a way of having more than 256 colors on screen without picasso96. I do not really care about any speed increases picasso96 gives by using the my graphics card.
Old 22 August 2002, 03:58   #30
Amiga1992

No. The Picasso96 drivers allow you to use yoru videocard as the native RTG video of teh emulated Amiga. Ther are no other proggies that will let you do this. it's not just a gimmick to "add more colors", it's a software driver for yoru videocard. You need them in Wondows too, don't you?

I have had no problems with Picasso96 and games, at all.
Old 23 August 2002, 02:29   #31
Ryan_clemens
Gold Member

picasso96

Slamtilit AGA is one such game.
I have found others another pinball game I think maybe Pinball Dreams or something similar.
Slamtilit just sits there, other games I have tried play music from the startup but no pictures come up. I am suprised nobody has updated the uaegfx driver to fix these issues..
Old 23 August 2002, 04:52   #32
Amiga1992

I heard that yes, Slamtilt is a problem. You can do a search on the board for that, it has been discussed before.

however since Picasso is teh only choice, you have no option but to boot without using Picasso.