English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 16 October 2018, 12:24   #2301
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
I'll give that one a miss. If his mate was a dog, 'twould be a different story. I don't like cats. If they could be kept to just killing the mice and rats it would be a different story. I like my birds and geckos and all the other lizards, but so do the cats, so that's where we part ways and they become food for my hound. Young Jack's count is 4 for this week.

And before anyone gives me a hard time, all of the cats we hunt down are ferals! The neighbors pets are off the menu.
Movies are also full of people who do far more heinous shit than just doing what comes naturally. Might as well stop watching all of them if this is your reasoning :/ Not the smartest thing to just openly admit, it will probably take a long time before I don't hate your guts anymore.
Old 16 October 2018, 14:09   #2302
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

This was movie weekend, haven't have one in while...

First, we saw Ant-man and the Wasp (2018). Just as first movie, this one is filled with jokes, fun and well connected to rest of MU. Timeline places this movie 2 years after Captain America: Civil War and few months before Avengers: Infinity Wars. With MU movies, you don't have to mention that this is another technical marvel movie and Michael Pena is just funny to listen in any movies. Not the best movie in MU universe, but not the worst either.

7/10

I saw last maze runner movie - Maze Runner: The Death Cure (2018). By far my favorite of teen dystopian movies, but due to market being overfilled with them, this movie did not get attention it deserves. There are far many issues with story, but action parts with well made effects are making for it.

I had no idea that O'Brien was injured filming it, moving release date to year later.

Probably reason I like it more is Aidan Gillen, whose role is quite fitting and well played.

7/10
Old 16 October 2018, 15:17   #2303
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by haps View Post
And before anyone gives me a hard time, all of the cats we hunt down are ferals! The neighbors pets are off the menu.
That's horrible haps; I can't belive you do this???

I love all animals so would never intentionally hurt or kill one...
Old 16 October 2018, 15:36   #2304
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Suitable movie, next year...

[ Show youtube player ]

Sometimes, dead is better...
Old 22 October 2018, 14:49   #2305
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Well, as nobody saw new Flatliners (2017), that is what I saw last weekend. At first, did not expect much, as movie has 5.2 @ IMDB, and this time there are fairly close with grading it.

This movie does not bring much into previous movie, it is not connected to it, but rather crude modernized version of previous movie. Horror elements are just not working well, not because it just does not make much sense, but apparently because each character has only 1 thing out of past to drive them crazy and motivates them to fix it, after they figure out that they have to fix their 'sin'.

On positive side, movie does shred light on an issue here (and probably in rest of the world as well) - pressure young medicine students face on daily basis.

This could be much better movie, but they just decided to butcher an old movie, add couple spooky scenes and manage not to give much new. In some scenes less would have better effect...

5.5 / 10

Next movie I saw was Foreigner (2017) - It is just unusual to see Jackie Chan in movie that is not comedy. Apart from that, this movie even quite predictable, is well made action/revenge flick, with its light on old conflict (IRA / Ireland), terrorism and political games. Movie also sheds light on bureaucracy and slow and ineffective justice.

What makes this movie more interesting, swearing in Irish dialect... worth watching. Pierce Brosnan aged well, and delivers good performance, just as you could excpect from seasoned actor. It is almost hard to recognize him, specially since just day later I saw another movie with him that I will cover next.

7.5 / 10

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) - it just blows my mind that this is now almost 20 year old movie, that aged well. Bronson playing bored rich playboy that finds meaning in stealing artwork by creating distraction in museum. On other hand Rene Russo as seductive insurance investigator, who would do anything to get job done, but gets in trouble of getting to close to main suspect. Even I saw this movie back when it was released, it was still refreshing and worth watching. I don't remember seeing original from 1968. Something perhaps worth adding to the list for future watching.

7 / 10
Old 23 October 2018, 23:52   #2306
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Ocean's 8...

I don't get it. What is the point of this movie? Basically: to see a heist go off without issues. Perfect. No conflict. Really though? Its a gang of girls and they needed to be far superior to the gang of guys no matter the cost?

Well congratulations, the movie is a boring drag!

The girls are alright, nice ensemble together with some good chemistry. The main reason to watch this is to enjoy their banter and there is enough of it to make the movie passable. But the plot is just too simplistic. Too much is lifted from the first movie too, the whole Danny and Rusty dynamic is carbon copied, but you can't have a bromance without bros so it really doesn't do anything in this movie.

5.5/10

Of course this being Ocean's 8 that leaves all the room for an Ocean's 9 and 10 to complete the numbering set... this is not a good start. Scrap the girl power and make them human again, please.
Old 24 October 2018, 00:59   #2307
Ian
Global Moderator

Watched the Spy who dumped me the other day, standard fair for a "spy comedy flick" I laughed though, and it was enjoyable although bordering on a chick flick.

But the pay off comes near the end with Mila Kunis in a dress that leaves very little to the imagination.

Swit Swooh

a solid 7 out of 10
Old 28 October 2018, 23:53   #2308
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.

I'm not kidding, that's the title of the movie. I happened to catch the trailer which looked awesome and it is written and directed by the same guy who wrote and directed the excellent movies In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. I love both those movies and the trailer for Three Billboards made it look like it was more of the same with the usual over the top characters, so I was really pumped to see it.

And... then its one of those trailers that completely misrepresents the movie. Oh they wanted it to look like it was more of the same. But it isn't, the movie is closer to No Country For Old Men. Its beautifully shot, slow and methodical, moody yet uplifting at the same time, driven by expertly written realistic characters and has an ending that will catch you off guard. I like the movie, but I did not enjoy it as much as the other two movies. It will definitely surprise you several times in a good way. But don't watch the trailer. For one, it is a lie. But most of all: it spoils most of the funnier scenes.

7/10

Sicario: Day of the Soldado

The first Sicario was an instant classic and a really gripping movie to watch. Soldado on the other hand... its only half that movie. There is no cleverness, there is hardly any tension to speak of. Its just a couple of awesome gunfights surrounding three very thin branched out plotlines that never really fully converge again; the cartels doing human trafficking, Matt's mission to fight them on behalf of the united states government and Alejandro's distant involvement in that mission. Speaking of Alejandro, the movie really twists him. Formerly he was a man fueled by revenge to be a hardcore gun for hire with no morals or limits and now... all of a sudden a man with morals and limits. A large part of what makes Sicario as good as it is went poof.

The movie's main problem I would say is that it involves politics; let me rephrase that, it bothers you with politics. Especially after Sicario showing the unwavering brutality the pairing of Matt and Alejandro are capable of, Soldado should have been about really gnarly black ops stuff that you normally don't get to see or think about. Instead it is more about how the American Government is not equipped to fight the cartels at all; a poodle barking at a land of pit bulls. What Soldado shows is realistic and honest... but it does not make for a very fun movie. Because the characters of Matt and Alejandro are not allowed to do what they do best. And that stinks.

Still worth a watch, but try your hardest to forget that this is a followup to anything.

6.5/10
Old 29 October 2018, 13:19   #2309
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

28 days (2000)
Predictable movie about rehab, with some humor and lot of nothing. Only positive side - some of crude humor: Reaction to someone dying - statistic for rest of us surviving just got bit better. Selection of actors and their problems could be done better... Avoid if you haven't seen it yet...

5/10

Push (2009)
Primarily Unneeded Superhuman Horseshit would be probably better title, or in short - push. I remember watching trailers back in day, but have no idea how I missed to see it, even I had feeling I saw it before... but not much of good to remember... It is kind of rip of of Hero tv series that aired around that time and is just another unneeded super human movie. Only worth avoiding (and forgetting you watch it )

4/10

License to Drive (1988)

I remember watching this back in 80s, and don't remember it having lots of swearing. (Did not speak any English at the time ) Firstly, got surprised when I saw movie being PG-13. One of many movies with Corey Feldman and Corey Haim (RIP) back from 80s. It still was fun to see it, after all these years.

6.5/10

An Eye for Beauty (2014)

Not sure where to start with this one. For me it looks more like big advertisement for Canada's tourism, then movie. While movie is centered around an extramarital affair, movie just didn't go much into characters or issues this created. Mix of French and English give this movie refreshing charm, but that was just not enough. There was really good opportunity to cover depression, or as already mentioned affair, but it seems director choose rather to show natural wonders and activities of our northern neighbors... I am unable to cover movie ending, as I did not see one.

3/10

Interesting movie coming next year:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5719748/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Last edited by Anubis; 30 October 2018 at 13:27.
Old 01 November 2018, 21:51   #2310
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I don't give this movie enough credit, I do declare I love it - and this was only the second time I saw it. The visuals, the music, the ever-present but never exaggerated undertone of humor, the dreamy southern drawl, the acting and the ensemble... its the perfect fairy tale. I don't like many Coen Brothers films, but with this one and Old Country they really strike a cord.

8.9/10
Old 01 November 2018, 22:27   #2311
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

I don't give this movie enough credit, I do declare I love it - and this was only the second time I saw it. The visuals, the music, the ever-present but never exaggerated undertone of humor, the dreamy southern drawl, the acting and the ensemble... its the perfect fairy tale. I don't like many Coen Brothers films, but with this one and Old Country they really strike a cord.

8.9/10
The Soggy Bottom Boys

I pretty much like anything with Holly Hunter in it.
Old 02 November 2018, 00:39   #2312
volvo_0ne

What is it with all these "remakes" of relatively recent movies?

TBQH the great majority of them are utter garbage.

with the possible exception of "Dredd" Which was far and above Stallone's pathetic attempt.

but the likes of "Total Recall" and "Robocop" (to name but two) are pi$$ poor even though they had high budgets and CGI (or maybe BECAUSE they had high budgets and CGI)

I dunno

It seems to me like nobody has any good ideas lately, it's just re-hashing nostalgia and not in a good way.
Old 02 November 2018, 05:02   #2313
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo_0ne View Post
What is it with all these "remakes" of relatively recent movies?

TBQH the great majority of them are utter garbage.

with the possible exception of "Dredd" Which was far and above Stallone's pathetic attempt.

but the likes of "Total Recall" and "Robocop" (to name but two) are pi$$ poor even though they had high budgets and CGI (or maybe BECAUSE they had high budgets and CGI)

I dunno

It seems to me like nobody has any good ideas lately, it's just re-hashing nostalgia and not in a good way.
Remakes can be done proper, I also agree with you on Dredd however there is still something campy about the Stalone version that I still find appealing, like Rob Schneider's line "I Am the LAW!"

Old 02 November 2018, 16:20   #2314
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Total Recall was a pretty miserable retelling. Not a remake, they're two unrelated movies based on the same book each with a different approach. Retellings are nothing new, how many Robin Hood movies are out there now for example.

Robocop... they should have learned from Robocop 3 that a kid-friendly version of the character just doesn't work. Can't blame them for trying again with a bigger budget though, it should be much easier to sell a cyborg to kids than to adults. But it is pretty bland, so it won't motivate the kids to watch the movie and then demand Robocop toys.

A shame because I like the character and universe, I wouldn't mind seeing some more proper Robocop content. But it isn't going to happen in my lifetime anymore I think.
Old 02 November 2018, 20:57   #2315
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Was it me who only thinks that new Total Recall wasn't that bad at all?! It is not complete remake, as it did complete different approach on the same book and idea. I liked visuals, characters, actors and actresses... specially actresses

We saw Early Man (2018) - it was cool for kids, some nice humor and lots of reference to today GB, soccer,...

Completely agree with IMDB - 6/10
Old 05 November 2018, 15:20   #2316
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (2017)

Not as good good as first one, but not boring either. Movie continues about a year after first movie and of course includes tons of well known actors/acresses, including all new villain - Poppy (Julianne Moore). There is surprising role of Elton John as himself. It seems Taron Egerton grow up into his role, and from what I see there is plan for third movie, as well he will be in Elton John's biographic movie - Rocketman.

7 / 10
Old 09 November 2018, 01:11   #2317
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Hot Fuzz.

A movie that starts funny and transitions through crazy to ending absolutely bonkers.

I loved the first half of it where the movie is basically a well-acted humorous murder mystery which as it inches forward passes more and more into slasher horror tropes - in a good way, its a really unique movie that is successful at being no specific genre at all. It has silly jokes, action sequences and some blood splattering gore. Good fun for the entire family.

But eventually the movie flips over and turns into something loud, silly and spoofy. An odd choice, it just loses all its cleverness.

Still, really worth a watch as there are some genuine instant classic scenes in there.

7.5/10
Old 09 November 2018, 21:46   #2318
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Salt (2010)

Saw this before, but this time I think that I liked movie more than first time. All those mystery behind characters, history, compared/mixed with today events. I am not sure, but as I said, I liked movie more.

There is also one more thing we found out in this movie, Angelina looks just ok as blonde, black hair, short hair, long hair... any way...

Can't believe this movie is from 2010.

7/10

Knight and Day (2010)

Another movie from the same year that I saw again, still funny, love mix of fun and action, and good seleciton of actors. If you haven't seen it, worth watching, as long as you understand that this is comedy in first place, then action movie.

6/10
Old 10 November 2018, 02:55   #2319
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Movies are also full of people who do far more heinous shit than just doing what comes naturally. Might as well stop watching all of them if this is your reasoning :/ Not the smartest thing to just openly admit, it will probably take a long time before I don't hate your guts anymore.

Hmmmm... Must have been pretty drunk when I posted that, don't even remember it. :P

Couldn't give a rats arse if some bloke from a forum hates my guts, I'm sure that there are plenty of people who don't like me, just like there are plenty of people I don't like.
Old 10 November 2018, 07:48   #2320
haps
Rumpig

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post

Feral cats are a big problem in my area D. I love animals as well, the council will do nothing about the cats and the foxes so me and Jack take care of it, or perhaps I should sit on my arse and sing Kumbya while these ferals kill all the native wildlife?