English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 11 October 2018, 10:00   #261
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by betajaen View Post
I've managed to include the MagicWB palette, and it fits in exactly 32 colours - it even uses the mouse colours as well.
MagicWB also fits on screens with many more colors and also on RTG screens.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 21 October 2018 at 23:03.
Old 11 October 2018, 14:01   #262
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Hi gulliver, do you know if any of the beta testers had a 1200 with a Mediator installed?
No, none had A1200 + mediator.

If you are having troubles, first try to isolate the issue.
I dont know your hardware config nor your particular issues, but you should first try to boot without the accelerator and only the mediator. And only then, if everything is okay, add the accelerator.

Most issues users have seem to always be related to accelerators and their maprom function not properly set.

Anyway, you should also play with your mediator jumper settings to see if makes a difference.
Old 11 October 2018, 14:10   #263
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
No, none had A1200 + mediator.

If you are having troubles, first try to isolate the issue.
I dont know your hardware config nor your particular issues, but you should first try to boot without the accelerator and only the mediator. And only then, if everything is okay, add the accelerator.

Most issues users have seem to always be related to accelerators and their maprom function not properly set.

Anyway, you should also play with your mediator jumper settings to see if makes a difference.
Hi gulliver,

Thanks for the reply. I got someone else to test it last night, they also have an A1200 with a 1260 and a mk1 Mediator and they had the same issue. Since then, I've been trying all manner of variations to try and diagnose the issue, and the good news is I now have a solution!

I dug out the Mediator manual, and looked at the info about the config jumper:

Quote:
Set CLOSED if you use A1200 with ... old Blizzard Cards
Quote:
Set OPEN if you use A1200 with ... new Blizzard Cards
Well, we can add to that now:

Quote:
Set CLOSED if you use A1200 with 1260 and KS 3.1.4
The 1260 is by no means an old Blizzard I don't think (although I suppose they all are now?) but you want the Config jumper CLOSED to get the 1200 Mediator going with 3.1.4.

Maybe another wee note for the FAQ

I am a happy man, and my 1200 is happy 3.1.4 running Amiga. Thanks to you and all the team
Old 11 October 2018, 14:27   #264
gulliver
BoingBagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigolemon View Post
Maybe another wee note for the FAQ

I am a happy man, and my 1200 is happy 3.1.4 running Amiga. Thanks to you and all the team
I am glad that everything is working, and that you are enjoying 3.1.4.

It seems the FAQ will get a lot fatter.
Old 11 October 2018, 16:44   #265
graffias79

Maybe this is a dumb question but there's a lot of information in a lot of places so I may have missed it. Is it possible to use the downloadable version with the software based Kickstart with a machine that has a Kickstart 2.04/2.05 or 3.0?
Old 11 October 2018, 17:19   #266
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by graffias79 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question but there's a lot of information in a lot of places so I may have missed it. Is it possible to use the downloadable version with the software based Kickstart with a machine that has a Kickstart 2.04/2.05 or 3.0?

I think you would need something like a Vampire type accelerator to be able to load the software kickstart rom file to maprom to use it as it is, otherwise a new kickstart.rom would need to be burned/programed from the downloaded version.
Old 11 October 2018, 17:26   #267
Overmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
I think you would need something like a Vampire type accelerator to be able to load the software kickstart rom file to maprom to use it as it is, otherwise a new kickstart.rom would need to be burned/programed from the downloaded version.
I think many different accelerators will work. Blizzard-cards and Icomp's ACA-cards also have a function that lets you copy a software rom to memory pre-boot, I think.
Old 11 October 2018, 17:28   #268
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Not really, most accelerators include a MapROM capability that lets them load a Kickstart from disk. For Blizzards (and some others) there's Blizkick, and ACA and Furia accelerators also have the capability with their own tools. The only limiting factor is compatibility of the software tools for your accelerator with the Kickstart. Once Blizkick runs on your machine for example (and it works on KS 1.3), you can use OS 3.1.4.
Old 11 October 2018, 17:29   #269
Nightfox

Does LoadModule work properly if you have used ACAMapROM to relocate the ROM?

I have issues upgrading intuition.library.

I followed the instructions AmigaOS 3.1.4 provided but it's not working.
A user in here said to change the "LoadModule ROMUPDATE" command in startup-sequence to:

"LoadModule LIBS:intuition.library"

I have done this and I have put version 45 of intuition.library in LIBS.
Now when I reboot it says LoadModule failed "Some devices are validating , reboot aborted."

When I type "LoadModule list" it says that there are no resident modules installed.

I'd really like to get this working since there currently isn't a ROM version including this version of Intuition.
Old 11 October 2018, 17:45   #270
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
Does LoadModule work properly if you have used ACAMapROM to relocate the ROM?
It should do... It loads the module into RAM and overrides the one in ROM, whether it's the original ROM or a relocated one.

Quote:
I have done this and I have put version 45 of intuition.library in LIBS.
Now when I reboot it says LoadModule failed "Some devices are validating , reboot aborted."
That sounds like one or more of your mounted partitions is being validated due to the volume bitmap being corrupted. use the Info shell command to see if this is the case. If a partition is validating, it needs to be left alone to complete the process. This can take a very long time on large partitions. Rebooting while this is going on means it has to be started again from scratch, and without the reboot, the loaded modules can't be used.
Old 11 October 2018, 17:57   #271
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Not really, most accelerators include a MapROM capability that lets them load a Kickstart from disk. For Blizzards (and some others) there's Blizkick, and ACA and Furia accelerators also have the capability with their own tools. The only limiting factor is compatibility of the software tools for your accelerator with the Kickstart. Once Blizkick runs on your machine for example (and it works on KS 1.3), you can use OS 3.1.4.

That's good to know, I didn't realise that the Blizzard was also capable, the others I couldn't think of at the time of writing the reply so I just used type of accelerator to cover the ones that didn't come to mind.

I only have a Viper 30/28 accelerator with 16mb of ram (upgrade-able to 128) which does what I need but one day I may get a more up to date card with the Maprom function (I don't think my card has that).
Old 11 October 2018, 18:26   #272
Nightfox

Quote:
That sounds like one or more of your mounted partitions is being validated due to the volume bitmap being corrupted. use the Info shell command to see if this is the case. If a partition is validating, it needs to be left alone to complete the process. This can take a very long time on large partitions. Rebooting while this is going on means it has to be started again from scratch, and without the reboot, the loaded modules can't be used.

You might be onto something. A while back when I got a new 16gb CF card I spent a while partitioning it up I noticed on my desktop an extra icon appeared which was a mysterious partition I never created called GDH1. I have just ignored it up to this point because I really didnt want to have to go through the process of partitioning all over again and transferring all my data back.

The info command in the shell says GDH1 is "invalid/unknown".
Do you know what caused this to occur and how I can fix it? This could very well be why LoadModule isnt working
Old 11 October 2018, 19:18   #273
Jtkirk

Amigaos 3.1.4

Just thought i would chime in and say i have just purchased the a1200 version ks and wb.
I am a great believer in supporting the amiga as i loved and still love the computer. I miss my old hardware an A1200 with a 40mhz 040 Blizzard accelerator you could fry eggs on and a pcmcia overdrive hd 320mb lol
I got this for use in winuae until i get around to buying a old Amiga again. i also purchased amiga os4.1.
Time to play with my new toys

See you all around the galaxy
Old 11 October 2018, 21:23   #274
graffias79

I thought there was some sort of program that comes with the download version of 3.1.4 that softkicks Rom 3.1.4? Does this work if your Amiga has 2.05 and FastRAM, or should I wait until the physical ROMs are released?
Old 11 October 2018, 21:53   #275
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfox View Post
The info command in the shell says GDH1 is "invalid/unknown".
Do you know what caused this to occur and how I can fix it? This could very well be why LoadModule isnt working
Hmmm, that is a strange one, but it's hard to know exactly why it's happening. If it's not a readable partition though it shouldn't be causing invalid errors with LoadModule. What does HDToolbox say about it? If it's not anything you want or need, you can turn off automounting for that partition and it won't show up any more.

Quote:
I thought there was some sort of program that comes with the download version of 3.1.4 that softkicks Rom 3.1.4? Does this work if your Amiga has 2.05 and FastRAM, or should I wait until the physical ROMs are released?
There's LoadModule, which loads individual modules into fast RAM, replacing the ones in ROM before rebooting to use them instead. That should work fine provided your fast RAM is reset-proof (most is). You could probably also use something like ReloKick for soft-kicking it, but it would still need a reboot and gives little advantage over the LoadModule approach other than a tidier startup-sequence.
Old 11 October 2018, 21:56   #276
Romanujan

There is LoadModule, it 'softkicks' individual Kickstart modules - but some modules from Kickstart 3.1.4 ROM image are the same as in 3.1, or not even available for 'softkicking'. If you base your system on 3.0 Kickstart, or even older... well, I guess bad things might happen, I seriously doubt the team was spending their time testing such a bizarre hybrid configurations. Besides, the LoadModule might also have minimum Kickstart requirements...
Old 11 October 2018, 22:17   #277
graffias79

Hmm I better wait for the ROM chip if I decide to take my A500 up to 3.1.4. This sounds like a big PITA if it hasn't been tested. Not sure why a 2.x system would be considered bizarre though.
Old 11 October 2018, 22:37   #278
Daedalus

I think the "bizarre" element comes into ROM modules that aren't updated, for example having gameport.device v37 from OS2 mixed in amongst components from v46, which would be an unusual setup and probably not betatested. However, using a softkicker like ReloKick would avoid any potential problems there. I don't think it would be a massive problem anyway, there are some components that weren't updated from 2.x to 3.x either, or from 3.0 to 3.9, but still work fine.
Old 11 October 2018, 22:41   #279
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Hmm I better wait for the ROM chip if I decide to take my A500 up to 3.1.4. This sounds like a big PITA if it hasn't been tested. Not sure why a 2.x system would be considered bizarre though.
Is there no one near you who could burn the ROM for you to make your life easier?
Old 11 October 2018, 23:29   #280
graffias79

Quote:
I think the "bizarre" element comes into ROM modules that aren't updated, for example having gameport.device v37 from OS2 mixed in amongst components from v46, which would be an unusual setup and probably not betatested. However, using a softkicker like ReloKick would avoid any potential problems there. I don't think it would be a massive problem anyway, there are some components that weren't updated from 2.x to 3.x either, or from 3.0 to 3.9, but still work fine.
Ok that makes sense. I was just wondering. I am patient and can wait for the physical release. I still have other issues to work out getting my Wicher to fit into the system with a 2MB Agnus/ChipRAM board first.

Unfortunately I don't know anyone locally who would burn a ROM for me, but again not really in a hurry.

Thanks for answering my questions though!