English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 October 2012, 17:55   #1
JudasEZT

Unfair reviews.

do you remember some magazine reviews which would specially unfair or harsh??

I remember Whizz from Flair received harsh ratings in the mags. I think the game was simply a collect'm up without much pretension and for what it is.. is pretty decent.

anymore?

PS: I confess I attended more to the reviews in the 8bit era,.. when 16bits era, magazines were too biased and too many times seemed like paid advertisements from big companies.
Old 11 October 2012, 02:42   #2
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Well, there were a lot of cases of Amiga Power being unfair and harsh in their reviews. Rise of the Robots and All Terrain Racing being two that immediately spring to mind.
Old 11 October 2012, 03:20   #3
FromWithin
Music lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
I remember Whizz from Flair received harsh ratings in the mags. I think the game was simply a collect'm up without much pretension and for what it is.. is pretty decent.
I never found out what the story was with that game. It was originally a Megadrive game being done for Psygnosis. It was known as "The Castle Game" if memory serves correctly. Neil Sutton was the artist working on it. I remember really liking the isometric characters he drew.

I'd love to know how it ended up being published by Flair on the Amiga instead of by us on the Megadrive.
Old 11 October 2012, 05:33   #4
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Dragon Ninja by Stuart Campbell (4% because he was an idiot that can't read, and upgraded to 14% because he's just an idiot).

G-LOC with 7% also seems pretty unfair to me. It's not a great game by any means, but 7%?

Rick Dangerous 2 with 15% is also a joke.

And finally, although I'm a Sensi fan (and never play the Kick Off series), I find it hard to believe that Kick Off '96 is the worst Amiga game ever made with 1%. Is it really that bad? Worse than those Zeppelin games like World Cricket where you don't actually get to play? (In World Cricket you merely choose a bowler/batsman and the computer does the rest while you watch the "action". That's surely a much worse "game" than Kick Off '96). Hard to believe...

In fact, if anyone is bored and wants to see how bad World Cricket is, download the WHDLoad version of World Cricket, play a "game" then give it a rating on Lemon. It's currently only had 3 votes and someone ranked it 5/10 (which I find incredible!) hence it's score in the high 2's. I'd like to see a real rating based on a few more people!

Last edited by Codetapper; 11 October 2012 at 05:39. Reason: Added World Cricket info
Old 11 October 2012, 10:24   #5
JudasEZT

Yes, Stuart Campbell had some pearls.

Wolfchild a 58% While I think is a pretty good and addictive platformer with much action with brilliant technical specs too.
Old 11 October 2012, 10:28   #6
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin View Post
I'd love to know how it ended up being published by Flair on the Amiga instead of by us on the Megadrive.
Im nearly complete sure It was released on the Megadrive.. but look what I found googling it:

Old 11 October 2012, 10:51   #7
s2325
Zone Friend

I think some Street Fighter II Turbo reviews rate this game too high. Sure that this game look very good on screenshots but when you try to play it...
http://hol.abime.net/2214/review
http://hol.abime.net/2215/review
Old 11 October 2012, 10:57   #8
Sektor 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudasEZT View Post
Yes, Stuart Campbell had some pearls.
He certainly did. Wish I'd been around to witness this, but thankfully still archived on this here interweb...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26154&page=2
Old 11 October 2012, 11:14   #9
laffer
Zone Friend

This isn't an example of unfair reviews, but inaccurate ones... I've been reading many scanned Shadow of the Beast 2 reviews (on HOL), and at least half of them say you can buy weapons/items using the coins you find.
This is obviously not the case, but it does say you can in the game manual... so it was probably planned but not implemented.
My guess is the reviewers in these cases didn't play the game enough to find out, and simply used the manual as reference.

Another thing I find odd, this time about Turrican 3, is many reviews of that game complain it's very similar to the previous Turrican games.
Personally I wish that was true, but in my opinion - they're way off. I think Turrican 3 is quite different from the previous ones, in many ways... level design being the biggest change, maybe.
Old 11 October 2012, 11:16   #10
JudasEZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektor 83 View Post
He certainly did. Wish I'd been around to witness this, but thankfully still archived on this here interweb...

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=26154&page=2
I never saw that thread, and votes still open.. Rick Dangerous for me =)

hmm.. yes I knew about Stuart Campbell, sometimes insufferable guy. I had some argument with him in some forum. Do not remember though.

Anyway he seems like an overall nice guy. Ive seen old industry people worst.. believe me.