English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 05 February 2017, 15:26   #1
jotd
This cat is no more

A1200 gaming machine problems

Hi,

My goal in the last weeks was to re-create a gaming machine out of a A1200 I had in store somewhere with a A1230. That's a perfect machine: almost no noise when playing: back to the old A500 days without the floppy grinding and loading times (didn't I mention WHDLoad )

I installed ClassicWB, prepped my 30Gb hard drive with it (had a tough time but finally could make it work) and installed a AMSLoader on it so when LMB is pressed the menu starts.

So far so good except that I started playing Superfrog again and after several minutes the game used to lockup (display on, no sound, not possible to reset: only possibility: switch off).

I began to switch all the spare components I had in store, beginning by taking apart my A1200 Ateo Tower that I wasn't using for a while, because there were issues on it, and the silence isn't a feature of such a tower.

Motherboard switch: still lockups
on-board memory switch: still lockups
switch the A1230 by A1260 => sounds all right (damn I wanted to sell the A1260 for $$$)

Is there somewhere where I can have my A1230 looked at (would be sending from France) ? I'd really like to have it fixed so I can use/sell the A1260.
I also noticed that the sound of the A1200 was sometimes strange, looks like it needs recapping. Confirm?
Old 05 February 2017, 18:08   #2
Daedalus

Strange sound might be from bad capacitors indeed, or could also be from a poor power supply. Check the + and - 12V rails, a problem with either one will give audio problems. A bad power supply could also be the cause of lockups. Do you have another to try?

And if it hasn't been recapped at any stage, get that done too regardless.
Old 05 February 2017, 21:56   #3
jotd
This cat is no more

@Daedalus: I forgot to mention that I have 2 PSUs as well, an old A500 one and a A1200 one. Lockups with both. With the 060 no lockups so far.
Old 06 February 2017, 00:50   #4
Daedalus

Yeah, it looks like you've eliminated everything else. I don't know of anyone in France who does repairs, thought there are a couple in the Netherlands who might be able to help... Very strange that an accelerator would have that sort of issue though. When you say the sound is strange, what do you mean? Is it stuttering? Distorted? Perhaps something on the accelerator is causing power issues.