English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 16 October 2018, 01:04   #1
aszu

"River Raid Reloaded" & "Bridge Strike" discussion

We have Bridge Strike practically finished, so, with all respect, I'm not sure if we need another River Raid clone.
Old 16 October 2018, 01:19   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Bit unnecessary, both games can exist, this one is for a competition, so totally different scope to your game.
Old 16 October 2018, 07:14   #3
Alpha One

Quote:
Originally Posted by aszu View Post
We have Bridge Strike practically finished, so, with all respect, I'm not sure if we need another River Raid clone.

Sorry, I didn't even know there are others working on some River Raid inspired game, heard the name "bridge strike" for the first time yesterday.

Otherwise, my game will be so simple that it is out of competition anyway, just a small fun project.
Old 16 October 2018, 10:43   #4
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

What Ian said! Back in the day (TM) several clones of existing games were released too. The more releases the merrier!
Old 16 October 2018, 10:55   #5
nobody

That game requires 68020 (that is written in the thread) to run while this game runs on a vanilla A500. So "bridge strike" effectively rules out all A500 owners that are about 80? of existing Amigas. Also its not polite to say to someone don't write a game because we write a similar game. Like if the Amiga has tons of new games that run on basic A500.
Old 16 October 2018, 16:27   #6
mcgeezer

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
That game requires 68020 (that is written in the thread) to run while this game runs on a vanilla A500. So "bridge strike" effectively rules out all A500 owners that are about 80? of existing Amigas. Also its not polite to say to someone don't write a game because we write a similar game. Like if the Amiga has tons of new games that run on basic A500.
^^^^ This

Alpha, crack on a d create the game buddy (if u dont then i will )

Geezer
Old 16 October 2018, 20:49   #7
Puggsy

Quote:
Way to encourage a fellow Amiga game creator
This is why we can't have nice things. What a disrespectful thing to say.

Alpha One, looking very much forward to your River Raid clone. River Raid is great!
Old 17 October 2018, 21:00   #8
aszu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puggsy View Post
Way to encourage a fellow Amiga game creator
This is why we can't have nice things. What a disrespectful thing to say.

Alpha One, looking very much forward to your River Raid clone. River Raid is great!
This is not discouraging anyone, but just simply pointing out, that there is almost finished similar game, so it would make more sense to try to code something different.
Quote:
What a disrespectful thing to say.
This is the problem with people these days. You get offended by everything. And if someone dares to voice his opinion, he suddenly becomes public enemy number one.

Quote:
This is why we can't have nice things.
You reckon this is the reason we don't have nice things? Well so far I have seen nothing apart from tapping people on their shoulders. They keep making crap games in backbone and people keep cheering them. Everyone is happy.

And one quick thing for Alpha One. Hope you didn't take it the same way, as the gentlemen who I was replying above
Old 17 October 2018, 21:46   #9
mcgeezer

Quote:
They keep making crap games in backbone and people keep cheering them. Everyone is happy.
Which crap games are you referring too? Your comment is a bit offensive to BB coders really.

Before you answer though... I'll point out your post on the Bridge Strike thread...

In particular...."Unfortunately A500 will not be enough for this game, as Bridge Strike will require a faster CPU. 020 should be enough though"

Based on the Youtube videos of the game you would need to forgive me for thinking that game was written in Backbone given it requires a 020 processor as it does not look like it has been written in assembler.

Then add the commercial aspect as it's not a free game and been in development for over 2 years...

I suspect Alpha's game may steal some of the sales.

Geezer
Old 17 October 2018, 21:55   #10
Alpha One

Wohooo people calm down... I didn't feel offended in any way about what aszu said.
My game will surely be as different from bridge strike as Katakis is from R-Type. We have tons of horizontal spaceship shooters on amiga and they all have its place, although they are from the same kind. My main goal is to attend the eab competition and give me some nice hours of coding in front of my beloved machine. :-)
Old 17 October 2018, 22:02   #11
desiv

Quote:
This is not discouraging anyone, but just simply pointing out, that there is almost finished similar game, so it would make more sense to try to code something different.
You could argue that telling someone they should stop what they are doing and pick something else could be discouraging.. ;-)
Quote:
This is the problem with people these days. You get offended by everything. And if someone dares to voice his opinion, he suddenly becomes public enemy number one.
Whoa, relax! Don't be so offended! ;-)
They aren't saying you are public enemy number one. They are just saying you are wrong about this. You shouldn't take offense at that. Just disagreeing with them (as they are doing with you) is fine. ;-)

We all get what you are saying.
We don't all agree with you. (Disagreement is NOT taking offense)

Personally, I also welcome another attempt at River Raid (especially one that will work on my A1000). I would like to encourage the author to continue.
And I look forward to the other version, for my A1200.
Win. Win.
:-)
Old 17 October 2018, 22:27   #12
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

I think some mod should do something with this thread.

I do want another game, no matter if it is River Raid, Asteroids or Pacman.
Old 17 October 2018, 22:28   #13
aszu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Which crap games are you referring too? Your comment is a bit offensive to BB coders really.

Before you answer though... I'll point out your post on the Bridge Strike thread...

In particular...."Unfortunately A500 will not be enough for this game, as Bridge Strike will require a faster CPU. 020 should be enough though"

Based on the Youtube videos of the game you would need to forgive me for thinking that game was written in Backbone given it requires a 020 processor as it does not look like it has been written in assembler.

Then add the commercial aspect as it's not a free game and been in development for over 2 years...

I suspect Alpha's game may steal some of the sales.

Geezer
Don't want to start another flame ware here so I will bite my tongue regarding games created in backbone, but do you really think you could do a smooth vertical shooter with animated tiles, that would work on 020 in backbone?

RE desiv

Fair enough, I get your point And indeed, any game created in asm is a gem these days

Re Alpha One

I'm glad I reckon I'll better drop you PM
Old 17 October 2018, 22:39   #14
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post

I think some mod should do something with this thread.
Absolutely.... it needs cleaning up with the focus put on the RRR dev from Alpha.
Old 17 October 2018, 22:49   #15
nobody

I am not discouraging you but if I was making a River Raid that needs 020 to play I would be more shy on the whole matter. I wouldn't talk too much.
Old 17 October 2018, 23:01   #16
mcgeezer

Quote:
but do you really think you could do a smooth vertical shooter with animated tiles, that would work on 020 in backbone?
My point is more around why you need an 020 to do it in assembler, smooth scrolling with animated tiles is very achievable on a stock A500.

... Look lets have a bit of a reset here, I know what you're trying to say and I think most of us think it just came over a bit wrong.

We just need to accept that the Amiga is on the up 'n up and the more games we have the better... even if they are similar in concept and genre.
Old 17 October 2018, 23:27   #17
Ian
Global Moderator

All concerned have made their points now.

No need to rumble one. I will clean up the thread when at my pc but enough is enough. If anything would discourage someone it's a shit storm sprouting up in their thread.

I may move the stuff to another thread actually. But in here, and in alpha ones defence, no more please.
Old 17 October 2018, 23:37   #18
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

In first did not even intend to respond to this assult competition, but after this post, just wanted to point out that initial post does not make you enemy number one, but discouraging and offensive posts like this kind a do...

Quote:

You reckon this is the reason we don't have nice things? Well so far I have seen nothing apart from tapping people on their shoulders. They keep making crap games in backbone and people keep cheering them. Everyone is happy.

And one quick thing for Alpha One. Hope you didn't take it the same way, as the gentlemen who I was replying above
Sorry if I misunderstood you, but sound like you are talking about Amiga community here?!
Old 17 October 2018, 23:52   #19
DamienD
Global Moderator

Off topic posts from Discussion: River Raid Reloaded moved to this thread...
Old 18 October 2018, 14:55   #20
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Welcome to the Dark Side, boys...