English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 14 October 2018, 04:58   #1
NorthWay

MFM en/de-coding space and (dynamic?) fragmental datastream?

That was the best I could do for the topic. Read through and suggest something better if you want to improve it.

Ok, so I have started this in a backwards fashion: I wondered if the 2:1 standard encoding was the only possible way to store data on a floppy. Without breaking any 'rules'. The rules as I understand them is no more than one "1" bit in sequence and no more than three "0" bits in sequence. If this is wrong (or needs more qualifiers) then the rest below is just garbage.

I have looked at encoded mfm data, trying to find all valid combinations. This in itself is kinda meaningless unless you restrict yourself to a certain size for the data you look at.
I first looked at 8 bit groupings which gave a worst case worse than the normal encoding rules (but an average that was probably a good deal better if you could find a way to encode and decode the stream).
Next I tried with 16 bit groupings and for worst case there is (if my manual calculations are correct) 270 valid encoding patterns.
Worst case being that the previous 3 bit prefix was "000" and so your 16-bit pattern begins with a "1". I haven't checked the other cases ("001", "010", "100", "101") but they had more patterns for 8 bits so I'll be ever so bombastic and assume they are better.

How do you construct a datastream using base-270 numbers? I know arithmetic encoding uses sub-bit math, and IIRC MIME-encoding uses something that fits into less space. Can you also do it with varying base numbers? Some of the prefixes might generate more than 300 valid patterns which could increase the storage density nicely if the algorithm doesn't break down.

Now, this might not be practically possible, or just 30 years too late. You can browse the encodings I typed out.
And I have this feeling that I must be missing something major here...

(Bonus Q: What is the rule for encoding the first bit in the mfm stream? Since there is no previous bits I mean. Or does it depend on the sync mark?)
Attached Files
File Type: txt mfm-16.txt (5.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 14 October 2018, 11:03   #2
ross
Omnia fert aetas

Hi NorthWay, check some Psygnosis title for a 'dense' MFM (Nitro come to my mind).

Or a different 'trackdisk.device' (I dont remember the name..) that give you 14 sectors/track.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
(Bonus Q: What is the rule for encoding the first bit in the mfm stream? Since there is no previous bits I mean. Or does it depend on the sync mark?)
What's the 'first bit'?
During writing the first bit in absolute is rewritten in the following rotation (unless it uses short tracks).
This is why you put a pattern '010101010 .. "before the sync mark and terminate with 0 in stream, so whatever the amount of bits before sync you will have a valid MFM pattern.
If you mean the first bit after sync, then just follow the MFM rules

EDIT2: found!
floppy.device, in Aminet floppy43.lha (but it is not the only one, I remember of others in the end of the 80s).
I had also made my own version of track-writer for dense MFM, but lost in time..

Last edited by ross; 14 October 2018 at 11:25.
Old 14 October 2018, 20:46   #3
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Hi NorthWay, check some Psygnosis title for a 'dense' MFM (Nitro come to my mind).

Or a different 'trackdisk.device' (I dont remember the name..) that give you 14 sectors/track.
Do you know if they use a regular mfm encoding or an alternative? And/or just longer tracks and (Nitro written on a slower drive?
Old 15 October 2018, 00:05   #4
ross
Omnia fert aetas

Quote:
Do you know if they use a regular mfm encoding or an alternative? And/or just longer tracks and (Nitro written on a slower drive?
Both non-regular MFM encoding and practically standard track length (Nitro==$189d DMA words, floppy.device inevitably standard).
Old 15 October 2018, 00:22   #5
NorthWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Both non-regular MFM encoding and practically standard track length (Nitro==$189d DMA words, floppy.device inevitably standard).
How interesting! Is there any description on how this is achieved? What did the cracks of Nitro do to fit on disk?
Old 15 October 2018, 00:32   #6
ross
Omnia fert aetas

Quote:
How interesting! Is there any description on how this is achieved? What did the cracks of Nitro do to fit on disk?
No description, but there is some "0000" patterns.
In the past I had done tests using 4 "0" in a row and worked, only you had to use right precompensation on writing otherwise you had problems on the internal tracks.
And sure was more prone to sporadic read errors, but I do not remember much, too many years have passed..

Nitro fit on one disk because is packed with shrinkler, ask Galahad for the challenge
Old 15 October 2018, 07:21   #7
Hewitson

Quote:
All cracks (except Galahad's) either removed the intro or had it on a second disk.