English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 28 August 2008, 14:56   #21
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Sorry to double post, I just saw your reply. As far as the answers to those questions are concerned, I can't really answer them all straight away, I was hoping if there was enough interest in it then we could start doing the research. There are certainly people out there with the talent to develop the board, but there's no point approaching them about it until we at least discuss the marketability with the community first.

There are hundreds, if not thousands, of brand new CD32s out there waiting to be sold, too. If one of the big dealers were to get a cratefull of them, and pre-install them with these theoretical expansions, they'd make a great bundle for people wanting to buy a brand new Amiga.

I'm not sure why you don't think a clock is a bad idea, though. All computers should be able to keep the time and date. Even those basic 512kb A500 expansions had them.
Old 28 August 2008, 14:57   #22
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I have an SX32 MK1 now so I might do that in the future. It's not production quality.
Actually, I've just realised that this is probably an external unit isn't it? In which case it won't fit in my very-limited console space... Ah well.
Old 28 August 2008, 14:59   #23
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

What do you mean?

"There are hundreds, if not thousands, of brand new CD32s out there waiting to be sold, too."

Where? I know that a few NTSC CD32s have shown up recently, but where's the evidence to suggest this many?
Old 28 August 2008, 15:24   #24
Rebel-CD32
Amiga will never die!

Send a message via MSN to Rebel-CD32
Okay, I'm assuming this many are available because it is the entire stock that was intended for USA release. Unless they've mostly been destroyed, which unfortunately is possible, they should all still be out there, packed away in warehouses. Those Chinese/Hong Kong sellers on eBay selling that stock would have bought a crate of them from these warehouses to sell. There are a few sellers on eBay right now selling them, at least one of them has a large quantity (60 available at the moment, although it was nearly 100 a few months ago). They must be out there, it's a shame AmigaKit or one of the other big Amiga dealers haven't bought up a few crates to sell.
Old 28 August 2008, 15:36   #25
Heavy Stylus
CD32 Fanboi

Can NTSC units be converted to PAL easily?
Old 28 August 2008, 15:36   #26
cane

Vesalia was selling new NTSC CD32s for 76 euros, but they are out of stock right now.

@alexh Also the FMV module has that little board with two connectors so that could be also used for bare PCB board. Off course you couldn't have both connected but who cares for FMV anyway.

Old 28 August 2008, 15:41   #27
chiark
Needs a life

Who cares for FMV? One opportunistic seller thinks someone might do!
Old 28 August 2008, 15:52   #28
TheCorfiot
Amibay Senior Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiark View Post
Who cares for FMV? One opportunistic seller thinks someone might do!

I Know...

I saw this a few days ago, Do you or the seller think someone will acrually pay that.???

TC
Old 28 August 2008, 15:52   #29
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The only FMV worth watching was the Cannon Fodder extro and it's been ripped in the original MPEG for watching on the PC.
Old 28 August 2008, 15:56   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
Okay, I'm assuming this many are available because it is the entire stock that was intended for USA release. Unless they've mostly been destroyed, which unfortunately is possible, they should all still be out there, packed away in warehouses.
Is someone really going to keep that many boxes for that many years? Can you imagine how much room you would need? I am actually surprised they kept any at all so you might be right!

However I argue the number (hundreds of thousands) is one you made up. It is innit? Do you not think that the real number in the warehouse in 1994 would have been much smaller? Are they really going to have manufactured much more than 1 months supply? Would one months supply have been hundreds of thousands?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel-CD32 View Post
I'm not sure why you don't think a clock is a bad idea, though. All computers should be able to keep the time and date. Even those basic 512kb A500 expansions had them.
And be honest, 99.99999% of Amiga users never used it. *IF* you were developing / creating things then having the correct times/dates on files was good (but far from essential).

I think that it's not applicable to CD32 because users will rarely save files on the unit (even with a CF card). Do you not agree? Valid dates on their save games?

IMHO an RTC chip and battery is just an extra cost, parts, fitting and PCB area. And you know how notorious RTC batteries are at leaking in the future!

Last edited by alexh; 28 August 2008 at 16:14. Reason: Reword to a more friendly style :)
Old 28 August 2008, 16:13   #31
Paul_s

It would be far simpler if someone just developed a ram board to go alongside the overdrive type floppy disk drive that Analogic sell. That has an RTC & VGA out on it (still need to contact analogic about that).
Old 28 August 2008, 16:15   #32
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The RTC has to be removed to fit the RAM board.
Old 28 August 2008, 16:31   #33
Paul_s

: i was just going to post when it clicked in my head, but like you said earlier you don't really need a rtc in any Amiga these days...
Old 28 August 2008, 20:09   #34
illy5603

Send a message via MSN to illy5603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Stylus View Post
What do you mean?

"There are hundreds, if not thousands, of brand new CD32s out there waiting to be sold, too."

Where? I know that a few NTSC CD32s have shown up recently, but where's the evidence to suggest this many?
Try looking on the United States eBay page. There are literally hundreds of them in China. But really, what good is an NTSC CD32?
Old 28 August 2008, 20:31   #35
nujack
Zone Friend

I'm also interested in such a ram-board for Cd32. I also have a FMV-card and such a Diskdrive from analogic. BTW the FMV-card is working together with the Diskdrive. So if somebody will do such an expansion I would buy 2 units.
Old 28 August 2008, 20:40   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by nujack View Post
BTW the FMV-card is working together with the Diskdrive.
??
Old 29 August 2008, 00:53   #37
Cammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
However I argue the number (hundreds of thousands) is one you made up.
He said hundreds, if not thousands, not hundreds OF thousands. I have seen hundreds of those new NTSC ones sell over the last few years, so it's possible there could be a few hundred or even a thousand more out there, packed away in some wearhouse.

Also, if a NTSC CD32 had Workbench installed in it, could it not then just run in PAL? Would not WHDLoad games also run in PAL, using the tooltype PAL if they need it?

I have recently got a SX32 installed and working in my CD32, which I am going to be using as a normal Amiga, I have a matching dark grey A2000 keyboard plugged into it too. Although it's going to have heaps of games on it, I'm also going to be using it to develop games, learning to pixel and code Blitz. My CD32 now has an internal Compact Flash drive and a total of 10MB RAM! Up until I got the SX32 installed, I was going to be using a 1MB WB2 A600 to do these things, which would have been painful, but was my only option because A1200s are too expensive. Now I have a fully capable AGA machine with plenty of RAM to play with.

What I guess I'm saying is I think a card like this won't just be good for game, but for people wanting to use an expanded AGA Amiga for productivity as well. If I could buy an expansion like this, then buy a brand new CD32 for $120US, I wouldn't have to worry about looking for an A1200.
Old 29 August 2008, 01:01   #38
Cammy

Oh, that's $120 DELIVERED, by the way.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us

$50 + $70 Postage

My only question is how to get it to work with Australian power sockets. Would an ATX PSU be able to power this, or do I have to get some sort of power inverter thingomabob?
Old 29 August 2008, 05:20   #39
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Look at Stedy's page for converting PC PSU to any Amiga.
Old 29 August 2008, 05:34   #40
Cammy

I already have a 220 volt PSU for use here in Australia with my CD32, I was wondering if it would work with one of these 120 volt USA models?