English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 19 July 2012, 15:45   #81
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldB0y View Post
Really? I find that surprising, I'd have thought there would be more of a market for some kind of CD32 expansion than for expansions for the A600 to be honest. I for one certainly hope he changes his mind.
Check the thread asking for cd32 expansion, only about 40 or us showed interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
magic some I will catch it and reapropiate it hehehe

if jens has his own tooling things now can`t he at least do a run of CD32 expansion connectors then atleast other ppl will be able to have a go at making something for the 32
I think he only has tooling for A1200 expansion slot, not sure on CD32.
Old 19 July 2012, 19:57   #82
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Check the thread asking for cd32 expansion, only about 40 or us showed interest.

I don't think he has any interest in selling his expansion port connectors so i think i will source them, there are 2 companies that will build them so i will probably get some made. If people want to join in on a group buy then let me know.

If i can get them made, i will (maybe) make a simple expansion for the CD32 as well providing no one else is offering a cheap ram upgrade solution
Old 19 July 2012, 20:09   #83
Jope
-

Quote:
It's very similar, I seem to remember there being talk that Jens' tool can be adjusted to produce those too.
Old 20 July 2012, 12:03   #84
wmsteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper2k View Post
If i can get them made, i will (maybe) make a simple expansion for the CD32 as well providing no one else is offering a cheap ram upgrade solution
I would love to get my hands on something like this, regular expansions for the CD32 are just too expensive now, that is when you actually find one for sale. Surprises me that more people didn't express an interest in some kind of expansion for the CD32, unfortunately I didn't get the chance to post my interest at the time. Surely it would be worth the effort even if only around 50 were ever made / sold?
Old 20 July 2012, 13:35   #85
Schoenfeld
electricky.

My tooling can be adjusted to almost any number of pins in raster-1.27mm. I have made the A600 trapdoor connectors with it, and I also have samples of the CD32 connector here, made with my tooling.
However, I don't sell single connectors, but require anyone who wants to have connectors to pay a part of the tooling cost. Kipper2k, we did exchange a few eMails regarding Indivision AGA MK2 for A4000D, but eventually, you didn't answer any more. You've got my eMail address - please don't expect me to read forums all the time. If you have a business request, this is the wrong place.

Jens
Old 21 July 2012, 01:28   #86
OldB0y

Quote:
Make that 41 then I guess:-)

Also please bare in mind there are quite a few CD32/A1200/500 etc users that aren't members of eab or any other Amiga forum etc.....You only need to look at how well Amiga related stuff sells on ebay to realise that.
Old 22 July 2012, 13:44   #87
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
finaly some one who can do cd32 connectors, its up to the rest of you to use this info

oh and jens/fol my indavidual computer mug is no more it had an argument with the floor and lost
Old 23 July 2012, 16:16   #88
PulsatingQuasar

I would be interested in an ACA1230 like expansion for the CD32.

I think the problem with the Indivision not selling for the CD32 is the same as for the A600. I'm not going to stick an Indi in the A600 unless it's upgraded. So when the ACA630 came out I did. I will buy another Indi for a second A600 when the ACA620 comes out.

I think there are more people that would buy for the CD32 but as someone already mentioned. A lot of people don't visit EAB or A1K on a daily basis let alone monthly basis. So they won't post here or there asking for it.
Old 26 July 2012, 19:18   #89
Sim085

I have some questions regarding the ACA500 mostly because I do not understand much about Amiga hardware. I saw some images of the new ACA500 and can't understand if the new device will have a new 68000 processor (CMOS 68000?) or we will fit the current 68000 we have on the new car? or it will fit on top the current 68000 similar to another recent card by jens?

Also, are there any photos of the ACA500 and ACA1220 together? from the photos so far I still can't understand how the setup will look.
Old 26 July 2012, 23:17   #90
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicfrog View Post
oh and jens/fol my indavidual computer mug is no more it had an argument with the floor and lost
oooops, . Didnt you get that signed?
Old 27 July 2012, 21:13   #91
MrDBUG

I think some well qualified people should buy CD32s/A600s/A1200s - refurbish them, install the expansions and sell them all done with 3-6 month warranty :-) Instead of us doing the installations on our own .. I think there are more people who would buy a complete setup than do the installation job themselves.

FOL: I never got around to retrying the installation of my ACA1230 after getting it repaired by Jens :-( Do you guys at AmigaKIT have time for such a job now ? Or does the X1000 take all the time ? Im ready to pack and send my A1200 and ACA to the UK, its no use sitting in the cupboard :-(

Last edited by prowler; 27 July 2012 at 22:52. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 29 July 2012, 04:15   #92
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
However, I don't sell single connectors, but require anyone who wants to have connectors to pay a part of the tooling cost.
Thats sad. I got a Viper1230 that throws a hissy-fit every time i move the A1200 with it installed. Could have repaired it, and sold it of, seeing as i have one of your ACA1230/56 in there now. But i have no doubt handling the numerous requests for single items would simply be a huge timewaster, so no wonder why you don't wanna sell em one by one. Perhaps a group buy could be arranged, if someone takes it up on them self.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:22   #93
TotO

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoenfeld View Post
However, the ACA500 is designed as a point-to-point connection on the 68020 bus - that's the part that I've cut down in order to achieve the low price point.
Hello,

You speak to "achieve a lower price point", but I'm sure that you may build a real ACA520 dedicated board including a 44-pin IDE connector, a tiny 68EC020 (25MHz) and some fast RAM for a price close to the ACA1220 alone.

Honestly, the ACA1220 is not intended to be used on A1200 but it stay compatible because you make the choice to add a "A1200 like" expansion slot on the A500 to simplify your design work and increase your sells with the same product?

The A1200 user who buy the ACA1220 will definitively not make a good deal.
Like you said "For the A1200, this card can be considered a 128MByte-RAM expansion".

The A500 user have to buy the "ACA500 bridge card" to add this new ACA1220 accelerator only, because you will not test if other cards (your ACA1230 too?) can work on it. If yes it's nice, if no... It's cheaper like that.
Personally I understand: "no product support, buy and go!"

You made a great ACA630 and ACA1230 boards, but here...
Where is the good hardware for the good computer?

Last edited by TotO; 29 July 2012 at 16:09.
Old 29 July 2012, 17:44   #94
Mr B

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotO View Post
Honestly, the ACA1220 is not intended to be used on A1200 but it stay compatible because you make the choice to add a "A1200 like" expansion slot on the A500 to simplify your design work and increase your sells with the same product?
The expansionslot is made the same simply coz it makes sense. This prevents him from having to make a dedicated CPU accelerator, saving costs, for everyone.

Quote:
The A1200 user who buy the ACA1220 will definitively not make a good deal.
Like you said "For the A1200, this card can be considered a 128MByte-RAM expansion".
I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that it's not a good deal. I'm not saying it's a good deal for everyone but it's a huge amount of RAM for a unmodified A1200. But as i said before, the main target is most likely the A500, where it is both a memory, and a substantial CPU upgrade.

Quote:
The A500 user have to buy the "ACA500 bridge card" to add this new ACA1220 accelerator only, because you will not test if other cards (your ACA1230 too?) can work on it. If yes it's nice, if no... It's cheaper like that.
Personally I understand: "no product support, buy and go!"
All the ACA cards for the A1200 is supported, Jens clearly said so.

Quote:
You made a great ACA630 and ACA1230 boards, but here...
Where is the good hardware for the good computer?
Cant see the forest for all the woods?
Old 29 July 2012, 19:10   #95
desiv

Jens (or whomever), I might have missed it in the thread..

Is the 1220 PCMCIA friendly for the Amiga 1200??

Just wondering...
I'm not too up on memory locations...

desiv
Old 29 July 2012, 21:04   #96
Dude77

The prospect of using my A500 to play WHDload games is very appealing. But since I am not well versed in the technical aspects of my Amiga I would like to know if a trapdoor expansion, which brings my A500 up to one Ram, together with the ACA500 is enough to be able to play all OCS/ECS WHDload games?

Last edited by Dude77; 29 July 2012 at 21:16.

Old 29 July 2012, 21:47   #97
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Jens (or whomever), I might have missed it in the thread..

Is the 1220 PCMCIA friendly for the Amiga 1200??

Just wondering...
I'm not too up on memory locations...

desiv
Ejem... I hope so, as for what I understand the PCMCIA problems come over 4mb, so if it has 128mb... it would be really rare to have to use 4mb to use Pcmcia
A thing I don't understand is why so much ram, they surely found it cheap.
Old 29 July 2012, 23:17   #98
Amigaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Ejem... I hope so, as for what I understand the PCMCIA problems come over 4mb, so if it has 128mb... it would be really rare to have to use 4mb to use Pcmcia
A thing I don't understand is why so much ram, they surely found it cheap.
Hi,

Yes I was also wondering the same thing, for the A600 version. I doubt that we would be worried about using SRAM cards, but more the CF readers and network cards etc. I am just not clear on that area.

Also, Jens: Big thumbs up. Another fantastic looking set of products. Good luck with them!

Cheers
G
Old 29 July 2012, 23:30   #99
amigakit.com

Ill make an enquiry with Jens regarding that and report back.
Old 30 July 2012, 11:30   #100
Lockon
Air supremacy

After reading whole threads at a1k.org about this new A500 accelerator, I'm left in expression that it's both under- and over-estimated as a valuable A500 product. When A630 arrived, there was a lot of hype regarding the prospect of similar product being engineered for A500. Due to more spacious case, it would not be a race against heat or coexistence with some other peripherals which are left supported from the IC side and that really made some eventual comparisons to GVP A530 and Viper530 more viable. In the middle of such thought it was surprising to see that 030 was peeled-off from design table with a vague prospect of making an 'affordable A500 accelerator'. A year later, after some very precise 020 specs arrived, a lot of us expected that configuration as a final one to be worth of starting money saving contigencies. Finally, ruling out 020 in time frame which matches Zeus68K and PAK2/3 open projects alongside the fact that there was no preprod PCB show so far, can only lead to another set of thoughts. So, one might also guess that 030 is ruled out early since there's a shortage of price affordable and reliable supplier and perhaps the final design cost (comaprable to A630) might be set too high to reach positive business case. To support this, one could see through the fact that there's new ACA620 and ACA1220 coming in. A mere fact that only (???) Vesalia has a stock of ACA1231 cards(s) fitting new ACA500 as an ultimate 'true accelerator board' does really question for how many users will be able to meet their ultimate goal. Furthermore, I don't really find even a bit amusing when explained that ACA500 would make a difference for returning, a longtime milion based A500 Amiga user base which would like to focus on WHDLOAD gaming. A niche of Amiga classic userbase of today is nothing short of a mid-30 to mid-40 IT or near IT freak who spends up to hundred buck annually in his/hers Amiga hobby. In most cases we find ourselves cornered when trying to explain this Amiga syndrome to someone born a bit later or to someone oversleeping the late 80's era. We hardly need a bridge in form of maybe the fastest IDE HD controller and kickstart switcher in one, just for a mere A500 everyone owns in an attick.
On the other hand, people must realize that project like this cost real money invested on research and development, testing and quality assurance. I find IC's business policy to be on track with path on individual, low profit margins. Someone concluded that it would sell in enough figure top induce secondary demand in ACA1220 and perhaps some clockport and Ethernet add-on module at later date of portfolio alignment. There's also a fine stock of Indivision ECS which should also be affected by ACA500 or ACA520 whatever. All-in-one, it's a clever strategy with not always transparently achievements which have potential of narrowing down even narrow Amiga community. I hope Jens did crunch his numbers correctly; as a satisfied owner of 2 IndyECS I cannot be more biased to cover up for his effort (who could even do that in general) , but at the same time I will stay true Amiga fan by spending almost twice of price of ACA500 for a HW like Zeus68K or PAK2/3 just because it MIGHT became something as announced.
just mine 2 cents, best regards to all.